Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

weanlings - are they lacking?

• 11-02-2012 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Have a pen of bought in weanlng heifers that are licking and eating timbers under the barrier. They'd ate the jacket off ya if you went into the pen with them!

They're on pit silage (cut start of june) and a shake of nuts. But they must be lacking in something surely?

Thinking of buying a bag of minerals and giving them a shake of it.

Anyone any experience of this? Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've seen that with suckler cows too, eating the timber beams in the shed. Propably lacking some mineral or another alright. Try the bagged minerals like you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just googled and came across this.........

http://homepage.eircom.net/~progers/picaurin.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Sounds like a mineral defficiency. Try a few mineral buckets along with powder as a quick mix.

If you have Ivy anywhere nearby give them some of that. I have few weanlings out at the moment and they will climb walls to get at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Maybe try throwin then a fork of straw they might need more roughage in d diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Maybe they want their IORN put the bull in

• Advertisement

After more googling, I found that cattle can become copper deficient after a significant change in fertilisers or after LIMING.

Our silage ground was limed last spring, so perhaps the silage is lacking? Going to get some copper injections and see if it makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

would you not be better to get some bloods done to see if or what they are lacking in anything

On further investigation, the whole shed of cattle are at the same thing, albeit to different degrees. ie eating timbers under barrier and licking girders. One group have even chewed a little pin hole in the hydradare going up to water trough! I managed to tape it temporaily with insulation tape, but it's a job that I'I have to fix permanently on Saturday! :mad:

Went to the vet this evening and explained situation. He was in agreement that it's very probable that it was the Liming of the silage ground last spring that has 'locked up' minerals in the silage.

They're on calf to beef mineral licks at the moment. Told to move to Hi-mag bucket after this, as it's more economical.

Hope this is of some help to others ;)

Advertisement