Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Dublin Pub openings/closings

Options
  • 11-02-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a thread to promote any new pub openings since xmas and to mourn the loss of any closings..

Closed in city centre, south william, odeon and the lincoln inn. Also Searsons in Ballsbridge.

Openings, cassidys, osullivans, both on westmoreland street. Kavannaghs on dorset street.

Also 2 less well known ones, the inn on the green Leeson st/ stephens green. The black sheep on capel st, this one is owned by the against the grain crew, so should be spot on :-)

Number 6 in smithfield, formerley thomas read.
    Mcgowans in harolds cross also

Overall good to see more opening than closing. Anyone else know any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

liffeylite wrote: »
    Closed in city centre, south william, odeon and the lincoln inn. Also Searsons in Ballsbridge.

It's a shame about Searson's, I thought it was a nice place...although I haven't been there in ages. It seemed pretty popular at the time.

I personally won't miss the South William in the slightest - was only there once and I hated it; we left before we finished our drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

It's a shame about Searson's, I thought it was a nice place...although I haven't been there in ages. It seemed pretty popular at the time.

I personally won't miss the South William in the slightest - was only there once and I hated it; we left before we finished our drinks.

The south william is a great location. Think it was called viva before that. I would expect it will reopen fairly soon with a new name and vibe.

I know the folks that were in the original shebeen chic were looking at opening a new place, dont think its materialised yet.

Anyone been in the inn on the green? Its owned by the old eamon dorans owner, down on leeson street.

Number 6 in Smithfield is closed now iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

The south william is a great location. Think it was called viva before that. I would expect it will reopen fairly soon with a new name and vibe.

If there was a new vibe I'd go there - you're right, the location is great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Number 6 in Smithfield is closed now iirc.
    Yep: gone.

Farrell's on New Street re-opened a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Crawdaddy and Tripod closing down is what I've heard this morning and the complex is being sublet to the people that own Flannery's.

Crawdaddy and Tripod closing down is what I've heard this morning and the complex is being sublet to the people that own Flannery's.

Yes this seems to be true. It sounds like the pod complex is to be turned into a large mainstream nightclub to rival coppers, d2 etc.

Glad to see it reopen but a real loss to lose the variety that the pod represented. Pod nights being shifted to the button factory though so the torch should stay lit.

The lower decks is being turned into a pool hall, though the upstairs bar is remaining.

Just a sidenote to this. Paddy mckillen tried to open a club on harcourt street last year and it was knocked back due to the number of venues on the strip. Could pave the way for a retry of application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Alfie Mulligans on Leeson st is now Eamonn Dorans. Mulligans was closed for a good while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pod nights being shifted to the button factory though so the torch should stay lit.

...and the Lost Society.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Just a thread to promote any new pub openings since xmas and to mourn the loss of any closings..

Openings, cassidys, osullivans, both on westmoreland street. Kavannaghs on dorset street.

Also 2 less well known ones, the inn on the green Leeson st/ stephens green. The black sheep on capel st, this one is owned by the against the grain crew, so should be spot on :-)

Number 6 in smithfield, formerley thomas read.
    Mcgowans in harolds cross also

Overall good to see more opening than closing. Anyone else know any?

Another new pub opened. The parnell, its where the parnell mooney used to be. Couldnt be more different though. Its a trendy gastro pub! Still, good to see.another opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

as far as i know its an addition to the Louis Fitzgerald group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joconnelluk

Hi guys

I'm currently in the market for a pub to lease in the Dublin area. I was wondering if you had any information about any On the market or Coming On the market. Again it's great that there is more opening in the city. Thanks

Hi guys

I'm currently in the market for a pub to lease in the Dublin area. I was wondering if you had any information about any On the market or Coming On the market. Again it's great that there is more opening in the city. Thanks

I read that the red windmill in phibsboro and the botanic house in glasnevin closed last month. Two good spots for the right rent.

I would tuink the best vacant spot at the mo is searsons in ballsbridge. If a rent reduction could be had.

City centre, how about the space in bewleys westmoreland st. Tgi fridays are opening on ground floor and osullivans opened again recently. Cassidys is doing well and youre on the verge of temple bar. It used to be a club called trivia but i would think that basement space could do well. Good luck with your search and keep us posted so we can support you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

City centre, how about the space in bewleys westmoreland st.

Read somewhere that a burger joint is going in there.

tricky D wrote: »
    City centre, how about the space in bewleys westmoreland st.

Read somewhere that a burger joint is going in there.

I think thats the groud level. Its tgi friday. But as far as i know the basement is still available. Osullivans next door reopened not long ago, as did cassidys across.the street as well as a new starbucks. So the street has done well of late.

How is the times building doing? They have potenial to bring in a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Another new pub opened. The parnell, its where the parnell mooney used to be. Couldnt be more different though. Its a trendy gastro pub! Still, good to see.another opening.

Was in it yesterday, still smells of paint, but the food looks good.

Always good to see a pub re-open. The long quest to have a pint in every pub in Dublin continues..

dats_right wrote: »

Always good to see a pub re-open. The long quest to have a pint in every pub in Dublin continues..

Haha has anyone ever done that i wonder. I doubt it. Doubt anyone has ever done just the city centre, there must be 250ish in the centre alone. Good challenge though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

dats_right wrote: »

Is the Parnell the one beside (or a couple of doors away from) Conways?

Thats the one.

Couple of other recent openings..

Last water hole on north king street.

Bar u on thomas street

The trinity, where citi used to be on dame st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I'm supried to hear Searson's, The Pod and The Odeon have all closed down, they all seemed to be fairly busy spots.

It's a shame The Parnell hasn't stuck with the old Parnell Mooney vibe!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Noel Leonards (bottom of Watling St, D8) looks like it's re-opened, but I can't be sure. Doors were locked, but a quick gander through the windows revealed a fully stocked, spotless pub. It's still up for sale though. Technically, it's the closest pub to the Guinness brewery too.

Also, McGettigans in Smithfield (opp the Dice Bar) has had one of the most tragic makeovers ever. Gone is the charming 50's lit-up sign and old-school tile exterior and in it's place a generic faux-victorian temple bar-esque pub front. Interior seems to be the same though

Anyone know the story with the Malthouse on James St? It was renovated about 10 months ago, but has yet to re-open

Did the tram ever reopen by the guiness factory? It was a nice food pub.

Any movement with the old south william bar? I would have thought someone would have jumped for that bar in that location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

farrells on clanbrassil street has reopened as cavanaghs

farrells on clanbrassil street has reopened as cavanaghs
    *Cough* (and they're spelling it with a K).

Kate's Cottage on Amiens Street has been leased by the Cottage Group (Against the Grain, The Black Sheep) and they're planning to re-open in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BeerNut wrote: »
    *Cough* (and they're spelling it with a K).

Kate's Cottage on Amiens Street has been leased by the Cottage Group (Against the Grain, The Black Sheep) and they're planning to re-open in April.

this is great news.

that's an ealry house isn't it?

Des wrote: »
    that's an ealry house isn't it?
    It certainly was in the aftermath of the 1997 Trinity Ball :o. Don't know if it still is, though.

I kinda hope not, actually. One of my favourite pubs (not in Dublin) got shut down by its landlord because it refused to open early. The early house licence was in jeopardy and the landlord feared it would devalue his property, so he kicked the tenants out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

are they planning on an Against The Grain/Black Sheep type of scenario?

But of course. It's what they do :)

• Advertisement

Not quite central dublin, but murrays in beggars bush has been reopened as a trendy bar called the bath. Anyone been?

Is the south william reopened?

Advertisement