Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24mb Broadband not working out for me

Options
  • 11-02-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

I was on 8mb broadband and getting actual download speeds of around 5.5 to 6. I decided to try 24mb as the price seemed good. Since upgrading, I find that the service is now extremely unreliable. The connection constantly drops and speeds vary from (highest) 8mbps to around 0.33 mpbs (lowest)! The service is fairly unusable most of the time (hope this post actually posts!).

I called tech support and they told me my line couldn't handle 24mbps and that it was set to 9mbps. But when the speed and connections became unreliable again, I called tech support a second time. This time, they told me my line really can't even handle 9mpbs and I'll need to go back to standard 8mb NGB. That's fine, I can do that.

But here is my question: Since all of the above debacle, it seems that I now have been tied into another 1 year's contract with Eircom. When this entire mess is cleared up, will I still be tied into this new 1 year contract? My own feeling is that this order should be completely cancelled as if it never occurred. In fact, it SHOULD never have occurred. Eircom should have checked my line before even proceeding with this. Will this new contract be negated?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

mate i am afraid you will have to complete the 1 year. what they gonna do is lower your service as well as charge and thats all. I may be wrong but they are providing you service so thats the point. they have right to lower it under some circumstances without giving you the option to quit the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Thanks Bikerguy.

Since the order failed, I would think that it never occurred and as such, I should not be tied into another contract. Perhaps the small print says differently and I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Credit where credit is due here: So far, I have to say that my dealings with Eircom Support, Sales and Customer Complaints have all been extremely positive. They really seem to have come along leaps and bounds in their approach to customer support since I last had reason to talk to them. Let's hope it continues.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

3rdDegree wrote: »

Credit where credit is due here: So far, I have to say that my dealings with Eircom Support, Sales and Customer Complaints have all been extremely positive. They really seem to have come along leaps and bounds in their approach to customer support since I last had reason to talk to them. Let's hope it continues.

Thanks again.

that is because Eircom cancelled their contract with Stream Global Services and use a new call centre instead. So it now has new Tech support guys that stay more than 3 months unlike in Stream Global Services where staff turnover rates are so bad even in a recession, that SGS has lost many major contracts in the last year... I know first hand cos i used to work in SGS.

Treat your staff like crap and you wont keep them long.

Advertisement