Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i get an iphone or samsung?

Options
  • 11-02-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Just wondering which phone is the most problem free an iphone or a hi spec samsung? which is most problem free in terms of bugs, text and call reliabilty (not dropping calls etc). very tempted to go iphone route. only worry is the best coverage around where i am is edge, no wcdma coverage so would that affect phones performance, call wise. the guy in the o2 shop said that the iphone updates itself but samsung doesnt which causes most of the phones problems, freezing, turning itself off etc. he recommended iphone. if i do go that route when is the newest version due out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just wondering which phone is the most problem free an iphone or a hi spec samsung? which is most problem free in terms of bugs, text and call reliabilty (not dropping calls etc). very tempted to go iphone route. only worry is the best coverage around where i am is edge, no wcdma coverage so would that affect phones performance, call wise. the guy in the o2 shop said that the iphone updates itself but samsung doesnt which causes most of the phones problems, freezing, turning itself off etc. he recommended iphone. if i do go that route when is the newest version due out?

iPhone doesn't update itself, you need to tell it to do it. Asking here, you'll probably be told the iPhone is better, on the Android forum that the Samsung is better.
    Nobody knows when the newest iPhone is out. It may be announced in June. It was much later last year, so all people can do is guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I wouldn't get either right at the moment if you can wait 6 months.

Rumour is the iphone5 and Samsung Galaxy S3 will both be out in coming months. I'm actually in the same boat as you and I'm waiting to see what comes out. Personally I'm leaning towards the S3 as I prefer Android, although it depends on features and how they price it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just wondering which phone is the most problem free an iphone or a hi spec samsung? which is most problem free in terms of bugs, text and call reliabilty (not dropping calls etc).

I think text and call reliability is more down to the network operator than the phone.
    very tempted to go iphone route. only worry is the best coverage around where i am is edge, no wcdma coverage so would that affect phones performance, call wise.

That shouldn't affect the call quality whatsoever. I regularly switch off 3G and cellular data (when I am running low on battery) and make calls without problem.
    the guy in the o2 shop said that the iphone updates itself but samsung doesnt which causes most of the phones problems, freezing, turning itself off etc. he recommended iphone. if i do go that route when is the newest version due out?

As others have pointed out, the iPhone does not update itself. You have to initiate it.

As for waiting, there will always be a better phone on the way in six months, irrespective of whether it is an iPhone or an Android phone. Personally, when it comes to any technology, I wouldn't bother waiting. You know the moment you buy one, it will be out of date.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    As for waiting, there will always be a better phone on the way in six months, irrespective of whether it is an iPhone or an Android phone. Personally, when it comes to any technology, I wouldn't bother waiting. You know the moment you buy one, it will be out of date.

Well would you buy an ipad 2 at the moment given that its widely expected ipad3 will be out in a month? Ok don't expect iphone 5 till summer at least probably autumn but galaxyS3 is rumoured to be out in April. Given the more or less step function jump between current specs and next gen specs (i.e. all makes are expected to have more amazing screens, possibly quad core processors, fancier cameras) I think its well worth the wait in this case. I expect this next gen of phones will be more of a leap than step. Given that all of these things cost €500+, I think its well worth waiting at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Agree it's prob best to wait. But would depend on what phone you have at the mo. If I didn't have a smart phone I'd prob buy now rather than wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Given the more or less step function jump between current specs and next gen specs (i.e. all makes are expected to have more amazing screens, possibly quad core processors, fancier cameras)

But the big question is, does the average punter actually need all of these? I use my iPad2 primarily for reading, a bit of internet browsing and the occasional e-mail. In my situation, the features you have outlined above would not warrant my waiting for the next generation device.

So when buying technology, these are the kinds of questions you have to ask yourself before you part with your cash.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    But the big question is, does the average punter actually need all of these? I use my iPad2 primarily for reading, a bit of internet browsing and the occasional e-mail. In my situation, the features you have outlined above would not warrant my waiting for the next generation device.

So when buying technology, these are the kinds of questions you have to ask yourself before you part with your cash.

Well the reason I am waiting phone wise is for a specific functionality. I want to be able to read pdf's and other documents on my mobile device. Maybe a little editing but the reading part is most important I don't consider existing screens, including iphone4s good enough to do that (at least not comfortably). The upcoming products with bigger, higher dpi screens will give that functionality - without requiring a person to lug around a tablet.

I do think that's something the average punter will want from a phone when its available. So I think when spending €500+ at the moment - it would be very wise to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Buying anything apple it's always wise to check out http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ before you buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have to say, I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Plus recently and there's a lot to be said for it. I was using an iPhone 3 (not GS) before that (not really comparing apples) so it was a no brainer.

Going back to the iPhone it does feel a little old hat and dated but at the same time the elegance and simplicity is never 'old hat' and hard to beat.

The other thing is to consider is what ecosystem you want to be part of e.g. iPhone/iTunes/Apple TV etc. or do you want the friction of putting one together.

But it's the same as it has been with technology over the past decades -there's always a new model/version just around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S2. I liked the bigger screen for web browsing and movies and the added customisation. I also liked that apps I had for my phone also worked well on my iconia tab.

This week however I switched back to an iPhone 4s. I missed the better apps, music downloads, simplicity and form factor of the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My wife has the S2 and I have a 4S - it's really very hard to choose between the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not to hijack the thread, I'm in a similar predicament myself, trying to choose between Galaxy S2 or iphone 4s as my first smartphone.

My natural inclination was towards the S2, simply because I've avoided apple going back to MP3 players and the control they have over what you do. However, the reality is that I'm not into modding, and ease of use and stability is probably higher on my list than I'd like to admit. I've also found myself using itunes more anyway (mainly for podcasts), and my research tells me there's more and better apps for the iphone.

Having been used to creative mp3 players, is being tied to apple going to pee me off? It would be the only apple device in the household. The other con, and one that was part of avoiding ipods, is the lack of fm radio.

I'm just about coming down on the side of the S2, but not enough to hand over the money just yet.

Macy you also might consider that HTC are supposed to be announcing some new killer phone in next few weeks.

Seriously, with the stuff upcoming, time of year all that....I'd wait. Well I am waiting myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My current phone has cracked screen, and the battery is on the way out - there's no way it'll get through to June (to wait for phones I probably couldn't afford anyway!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

My HTC Desire smart phone, died a death first week January. I decided to take a break from smart phones, email, apps, ecosystem, blah, blah bullsheet. Went back to an old meat and potatoes Nokia, I had thrown in a drawer.
    Best move I ever made. The constant distraction, and information overload of the smart phone era, now in the past.
    I feel like I have been freed from a shackel. Like a weight removed from my shoulders.
    If it's email or online stuff, it can bloody well wait till I sit at the laptop. Which is 9 hours a day at work, and again 45 minutes at night!

Enough is enough, is enough when it comes to data mania.:p:p

I even went as far as digging out an old Nokia 6310i, which I have from the old days. Have sent it off for a full refurb, and new battery. Really looking forward to getting it back this week. Four to five days, battery life minimum before recharge. Can't wait:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BeeDI wrote: »
    Best move I ever made. The constant distraction, and information overload of the smart phone era, now in the past.
    I feel like I have been freed from a shackel. Like a weight removed from my shoulders.
    If it's email or online stuff, it can bloody well wait till I sit at the laptop. Which is 9 hours a day at work, and again 45 minutes at night! ...

LOL I did something similar, was the same experience. Especially not charging for a week was great. That said I've gone back to a smart phone, (Experia Mini) not for the data side of it, but for the features, better Camera, better alarms, notes and PIM, Music SQ and radio. I much prefer accessing web etc on my laptop. I use my smart phone as a feature phone, not a smart phone. I have samsung chat@222 as backup. It far slicker to use for basic stuff than any smart phone IMO. Buttons are just better for somethings.

That said some people wouldn't have that access to a computer, and indeed might need access to data on the go.

If I had to choose between the S2 and iPhone, I think I'd go with the iPhone, I just prefer its simplicity of the iPhone OS. I've had a few Android phones now and its just doesn't feel as slick as the iOS. More bitty. That said the S2 is a super phone with a better screen. Which might sway it. On other days I'd prefer that so as not to be tied to iTunes, standard connectors, hand for charging battery backs, and also for putting media on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Are you going bill pay or pay as you go??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I have owned both an Android (HTC Desire) and an iPhone and given the choice between the two I would go for the Android, purely from a customisation point of view, but there is also the possibility of jailbreaking the iphone anyway. But for some reason I prefer the Android plus everyone has an iPhone so its nice to be a bit different, was at a party on Saturday night and 90% of people there had the iPhone which in a way is a good advertisement but it just annoyed me slightly and if I had the money for a replacement it would definitely be the Samsung.

I just think the Android is far smoother and looks much better too, the iPhone apps and screen looks a bit like a toy really, where the Android looks far slicker.

A girl I work with loved her iPhone and raved about how great they are, but has recently got a Samsung and says she should've changed a long time ago and loves the Android now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is there a decent alternative to Kies for Samsung phones? I couldn't believe how crap it is.

Personally I wouldn't really be bothered with standing out from the crowd, or fitting in with it - it's just a case of what phone works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Eoin wrote: »
    Is there a decent alternative to Kies for Samsung phones? I couldn't believe how crap it is.

Personally I wouldn't really be bothered with standing out from the crowd, or fitting in with it - it's just a case of what phone works for me.

If you have an older phone you're stuck with it. Newer phones do over the air (firmware) updates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

One thing I like about Android is how theres very few limitations to what you can do with it. Someone has almost always written an app to do what you want, and its not stopped from some things like Apple does.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

BostonB wrote: »
    One thing I like about Android is how theres very few limitations to what you can do with it. Someone has almost always written an app to do what you want, and its not stopped from some things like Apple does.

Like Cydia provides for the iOS?

One thing I wouldn't like about the Galaxy is the sheer size of it. iPhone suits me the size it is, I really don't want it going any bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

bill pay :) is cheaper for me. used to spend 80-100 a week on credit. now get it for 80 a month with mobile broadband thrown in

Advertisement