Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet coverage for Ipad2..

• 11-02-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hope Im posting this in the right place,
    Im planning on buying an ipad2, I also have a laptop which I currently use with a three mobile broadband dongle( i think thats what you call it) so in order to have internet on a laptop and ipad I think I need to get a hotspot, is this right?? Which ipad then do I need to get? with or without the 3G?
    Confused..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Im planning on buying an ipad2, I also have a laptop which I currently use with a three mobile broadband dongle( i think thats what you call it) so in order to have internet on a laptop and ipad I think I need to get a hotspot, is this right?? Which ipad then do I need to get? with or without the 3G?
    Confused..

You will just need a wifi one as a hotspot will create a wi-fi area for you and you connect devices for that.

A 3g iPad will connect directly to 3mobile bb in your home but also out and about as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Confused..
    It really depends on whether you intend to use the internet on the iPad when out and about. If you buy a wifi only iPad, then you will be restricted to using the iPad in wifi zones. If you are confident that this will be sufficient, then get a wifi model. If not, then get the 3G.

In relation to use at home, your existing dongle will allow your laptop to connect to the net, only your laptop. It does not create a "hotspot". You will need to get one of these to enable Internet connection on multiple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

Ok, so I think the one without 3G will do me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I don't think your fully aware of the additional costs-

A 3G iPad 2 will mean you're paying an additional monthly bill for a micro-sim.

Also, it is the more expensive of the two iPad 2s on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 27 notaplumber

Unless u plan on buying a second hand iPad 2 at a cheap rate, wait until next month when the ipad3 will be released.... Apparantly:D

• Advertisement

Yep Jen/N Ive just figured that out! I dont fancy that additional cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The 3G version is a no brainer IMO. Get a free RTG SIM and just top it up when you need to use it. Invaluable for trips down the country or places with no WiFi. Dragging the laptop with you everywhere is impractical.

Alternatively get a MiFi unit from your mobile BB provider (about 50 euro on bill pay I think) and you can then use it for both and take the MiFi with you when you travel.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    The 3G version is a no brainer IMO. Get a free RTG SIM and just top it up when you need to use it. Invaluable for trips down the country or places with no WiFi. Dragging the laptop with you everywhere is impractical.

Alternatively get a MiFi unit from your mobile BB provider (about 50 euro on bill pay I think) and you can then use it for both and take the MiFi with you when you travel.

Ken

I thought the SIM was pay monthly? Whats the MiFi unit? I have an idea what the WIfi hotspot devices are but havent a clue what Mifi is??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

ZENER wrote: »

Ken

I thought the SIM was pay monthly? Whats the MiFi unit? I have an idea what the WIfi hotspot devices are but havent a clue what Mifi is??

Mifi is basically a WiFi hotspot it was the name o2 put on their WiFi modems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Get a Micro Sim from 3 top up by 20e per month and you get all you can eat data 15Gb fair usage for the iPad 2 no need for a contract.

And if you want to take the Micro Sim out of the iPad at the weekend pop it in your iPhone

or whatever you have free calls to any moblie network.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I thought the SIM was pay monthly?

Sorry I should have stated that either PAYG or Bill Pay were options - already cleared up by other posters above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You can get a Ready To Go SIM. I have a 3 one and top it up when I need it. I get 1GB for 15 euro which seems expensive but rather that to going into a contract where I wouldn't really get that much use from it. Most of the time it's connected to my WiFi in the apartment so I don't need to top it up.

This is a MiFi unit.

Ken

Advertisement