Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weak Nails

• 11-02-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I am finding that my fingernails have gotten quite weak recently. I usually would have no problem growing them. But I have found over the last few weeks they split and the tops of them break easily. My thumb nails are especially bad. (I got a two week manicure just before Xmas which was rubbish, didn't even last 2 days and as soon as the nail chipped the whole paint came off).

Any advise on how to strengthen my nails up and what products I could put on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I am finding that my fingernails have gotten quite weak recently. I usually would have no problem growing them. But I have found over the last few weeks they split and the tops of them break easily. My thumb nails are especially bad. (I got a two week manicure just before Xmas which was rubbish, didn't even last 2 days and as soon as the nail chipped the whole paint came off).

Any advise on how to strengthen my nails up and what products I could put on them?

I love Nu Nale: http://www.boots.com/en/Nu-Nale-Nail-Strengthening-Cream-30ml_1038066/

And I did love this, although they've discontinued it :(http://reviews.avonshop.co.uk/9028-en_gb/31501/avon-nail-experts-mira-cuticle-vanishing-complex-reviews/reviews.htm

Also this, and it lasts forever: http://global.burtsbees.com/natural-products/hands-and-feet-hand-moisturisers/lemon-butter-cuticle-creme.html

I use hand cream all the time too, about 5 or 6 times a day. Whatever one is around will do the job, but I love Superdrug own brand ones in particular.

Sounds like the manicure may have damaged the nail bed though. I'm no expert, so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Alice1

I use Nail Envy and find it really good. I think Boots have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Alice1 wrote: »
    I use Nail Envy and find it really good. I think Boots have it.[/

Alice1- what kind of product is Nail Envy?

Alice1- what kind of product is Nail Envy?

http://millies.ie/Products/OPI-Nail-Envy-Maintenance__3265.aspx

Don't know about that website, but this is it. There are different formulas - original, soft & thin, etc. Never used it myself but did hear good things about it, and OPI polishes are lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Hi all.

Sounds like your nails need a lot of TLC. I had a two week manicure and found the chemicals used to remove it VERY drying. Along with the other recommendations, you could try cuticle oil (doesn't matter which one). Rub it into your nails and cuticles every night and apply a rich hand cream several times daily. Try using a ceramic nail file which is less harsh on the nail. I also take a supplement called biotin which I have had recommended for hair, skin and nail growth. Only taking it a few weeks so can't say yet whether it works or not, but hey, I'll try whatever in order to get my nails back to top condition. If it is unusual for you to have weak nails it may be worth a trip to your doctor for a blood test. Weak nails are sometimes as a result of anemia and more prevalent in women.

• Advertisement

http://millies.ie/Products/OPI-Nail-Envy-Maintenance__3265.aspx

Don't know about that website, but this is it. There are different formulas - original, soft & thin, etc. Never used it myself but did hear good things about it, and OPI polishes are lovely.
    Yes Mysteries, that is the one! I use the Original - it's colourless but does give your nails a shine.

Alice1 wrote: »
    Yes Mysteries, that is the one! I use the Original - it's colourless but does give your nails a shine.

Can you use the Nail Envy under other nail polish?

aristocat wrote: »
    Can you use the Nail Envy under other nail polish?
    Yes, I believe it can be used under other nail polish. I wouldn't advise using it over other polish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Feed the inside too :D:D:D

The B vitamins are vital in maintaining healthy hair and nails and can be taken in supplement form or by eating beans, eggs or berries.

Biotin

• Biotin can help promote hair and nail growth and can be found in oats, brown rice and sunflower seeds.

Vitamin A

• Vitamin A helps the immune system function properly, resulting in healthier nails and hair. Vitamin A can be found in carrots and kale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I had the same problem after my last shellac. Never happened after other shellac manicures. I didn't do anything special except to keep my nails short by trimming or filing them. I use a sally hansen topcoat and that seems to help some. When I remember to, I use a cuticle cream. I think it's maily patience after that unfortunately. It's taken me a few months to get back to normal :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Mavala scientific is brilliant stuff the bottle lasts ages and it makes my nails rock hard. No harm to take a multi vitamin or a skin hair and nails supplement for a little while either as it will help from the inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've been painting over my nails since they started to get very weak, because if they're bare I feel so tempted to pick at them and make them split even more :o

I've heard that this is the entirely wrong thing to do, and I should let my nails be free of polish for a while as they strengthen. Is there any merit to this school of thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

jokettle wrote: »
    I've been painting over my nails since they started to get very weak, because if they're bare I feel so tempted to pick at them and make them split even more :o

I've heard that this is the entirely wrong thing to do, and I should let my nails be free of polish for a while as they strengthen. Is there any merit to this school of thought?

This is what I'm doing at the moment and I HATE it...even though I'm less than 24 hours in :pac:

Up until about 18 months ago I used to wear gel nails for about 2 years nearly non-stop. Needless to say when I stopped getting them done, my nails were in bits, and they're still quite weak. In the past 18 months I've had 3-week manicures about 4 or 5 times but my nails are pretty much in the same condition after getting them as they were before.

I constantly have my nails painted, I HATE my hands when I don't have nail varnish on! I don't like my nails short either, I don't have them very long but I like having a little bit of length and shape. However they're always splitting and breaking. No matter how well I apply my nail varnish (with top coats and everything), it is usually chipped within a day because my nail has chipped! I have a €50 voucher for a salon and was so close to ringing up and booking a 3-week manicure to give myself a break but decided to try actually looking after them for a change! I took all my nail varnish off (sob), cut my nails short and bought Salon System Clear & Strong and am going to start taking some nail, hair and skin supplements too. I'm going on holidays in 3 weeks so I'm hoping they're already in better condition by then!!

This is what I'm doing at the moment and I HATE it...even though I'm less than 24 hours in :pac:

Up until about 18 months ago I used to wear gel nails for about 2 years nearly non-stop. Needless to say when I stopped getting them done, my nails were in bits, and they're still quite weak. In the past 18 months I've had 3-week manicures about 4 or 5 times but my nails are pretty much in the same condition after getting them as they were before.

I constantly have my nails painted, I HATE my hands when I don't have nail varnish on! I don't like my nails short either, I don't have them very long but I like having a little bit of length and shape. However they're always splitting and breaking. No matter how well I apply my nail varnish (with top coats and everything), it is usually chipped within a day because my nail has chipped! I have a €50 voucher for a salon and was so close to ringing up and booking a 3-week manicure to give myself a break but decided to try actually looking after them for a change! I took all my nail varnish off (sob), cut my nails short and bought Salon System Clear & Strong and am going to start taking some nail, hair and skin supplements too. I'm going on holidays in 3 weeks so I'm hoping they're already in better condition by then!!

Brave girl! I know exactly how you feel. I just don't feel 'finished' if my nails are not looking good. But you seem to have reached some epihany about it and are taking action. If you are going on holidays to the sun all the better. Sunshine is very good for growth of nails, so added bonus!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

So I'm not the only one then! Good to know :)

What I'm trying to decide is if I'd be better off having nothing on my nails for a few weeks/months, or use something like the Nail Envy mentioned above. Any thoughts?

jokettle wrote: »
    So I'm not the only one then! Good to know :)

What I'm trying to decide is if I'd be better off having nothing on my nails for a few weeks/months, or use something like the Nail Envy mentioned above. Any thoughts?

I'd go with Nail Envy or similar. It's not polish as such, which is essentially a paint designed to look pretty. Nail Envy and the like will actively nourish and benefit your nails (or at least claim to...)

Advertisement