Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

child abduction attempt in swords

• 11-02-2012 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

This is just a warning to parents that live in the rivervalley area of swords co. dublin. at around 7pm tonight 3 young kids were constantly followed by someone in a black car in the location of cherry avenue rivervalley swords and the gardai are dealing with it now.

so if you are a parent in this area be vigilant and keep a close eye on the kids. no more information on this as of yet but it is being investigated as of now. this seems to be happening quite a lot in the rivervalley area.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I didn't like those kids anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Eh sorry, my car's blue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

did the kids get a look at my face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

yeah cause you should only be wary if you live in Swords :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Why would 3 kids be out at that time anyway ? It's not near spring yet and pitch dark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

MOD: feel free to put this in the correct forum location if you want I couldn't find the appropriate location. It's just a heads up as I think people around this area should be aware.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

These scare mongering stories have been doing the rounds for ages now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

If I get caught looking at kids I'm just a vigilant parent. Got it.

Think you may be getting ahead of yourself op. since when is driving around in a black car an attempt at abducting a child? Maybe the driver was lost or the kids are over reacting.

No need to cause alarm where there's no proof that anything unorthodox has occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lemme guess = you heard this from a friend who's boyfiend told his mother's next door neighbour purple mokey scaremonger dishwasher...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

xzanti wrote: »

...and is it just me or does swords come up a lot as the location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Yeah, every second week I hear about an attempted abduction around here. I don't think I've ever heard of a successful one, here, either.

Heaven forbid someone decides to drive slowly unless they're child molesters.

scaremongering you say, well i'm sure you would like to know if it was you're kids that this was happening to. it's not scaremongering. it is just information to be aware as these ****s are probably still stalking out the area and probably will be tomorrow. have some fcuking copon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Nodin wrote: »
    ...and is it just me or does swords come up a lot as the location?

:( That's what happens when you cross swords :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Black cars are sneaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

(Jelly) Snakes on a plane?
    cheers mister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

parents of young kids - tempting as it is to allow them to roam the streets after dark, it may not be a good idea. sorry if i scared anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Jesus, 3 kids go to a funeral and the hearse driver is suddenly a suspect.

well i know it's after hours so i can see the jokes but all i do know is that is was an attempted abduction and not just someone driving or looking for a place. it's being investigated now anyway so i'm sure the full details will be available for all you spacers to read tomorrow. goodbye.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Whenever these threads pop up the attempted abductions always seem to be in the Swords/North County Dublin area .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

copied from breakingnews.ie for those with mobiles
    Gardai have reported the suspect driver in an attempted kidnap this evening in the Swords area fits the description of a large bear type creature, while his initial cuddly appearance may be misleading, the suspect, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been known to frequest areas where children are readily available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Normally it's a white van isn't it? These stories are very slowly evolving.

Black cars are sneaky.

...let them be sneaky in their own country, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

zenno wrote: »
    well i know it's after hours so i can see the jokes but all i do know is that is was an attempted abduction and not just someone driving or looking for a place. it's being investigated now anyway so i'm sure the full details will be available for all you spacers to read tomorrow. goodbye.:rolleyes:

If you know you chose the wrong place, don't moan when it lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

This is just a warning to parents that live in the rivervalley area of swords co. dublin. at around 7pm tonight 3 young kids were constantly followed by someone in a black car in the location of cherry avenue rivervalley swords and the gardai are dealing with it now.

so if you are a parent in this area be vigilant and keep a close eye on the kids. no more information on this as of yet but it is being investigated as of now. this seems to be happening quite a lot in the rivervalley area.

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Not that parents shouldn't be vigilant, but how often are kids abducted in this country?

I never hear of it happening.

I do hear lots of reports of suspicious types, which turn out to be nothing.

How is someone driving around in a car an attempted abduction? Did the driver or passenger attempt to lure the kids in with the offer of sweets or did they attempt to grab the kids and force them into the car.

This seems to be nothing more than another of the dozens of stories we hear week in week out with out an iota of truth to it. Bet you got the information from an email that was sent to a few hundred contacts at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

all you spacers

Hey hey hey!

That's hurtful. :(

• Advertisement

That's Space Commander Nodin to you, bucko.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Total scaremongering, everyone knows kids around Swords are not sexy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Latchy wrote: »
    Whenever these threads pop up the attempted abductions always seem to be in the Swords/North County Dublin area .

Maybe there's a home for incompetent paedophiles in the area !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's good to be vigilant at all times but unsubstantiated stories like this do nothing but create moral panic for a minority of people and lead to complacent attitudes in the rest.

If there was any reason to be genuinely worried the Gardai would be issuing statements on the matter.

....The Failed Fiddlers Rest? Dungroomin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

HOW exactly, do you know this? Hysterical people with NO evidence in After Hours are bound to have the piss taken out of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

krudler wrote: »
    copied from breakingnews.ie for those with mobiles

I look forward to TheJournal.ie to have the exact same story but somehow with a couple of misspellings in the next half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

i do know is that is was an attempted abduction and not just someone driving or looking for a place. it's being investigated now anyway so i'm sure the full details will be available for all you spacers to read tomorrow. goodbye.:rolleyes:

You don't know that's what is was :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Who don't travel very far because they are incompetent !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did someone actually try and kidnapp some kids? If it's just someone driving around in a car then that's not an attempted kidnapping.

Did someone actually try and kidnapp some kids? If it's just someone driving around in a car then that's not an attempted kidnapping.

It might be if they have a big net across their lap and sweets glued to the bonnet.

• Advertisement

It's good to be vigilant at all times but unsubstantiated stories like this do nothing but create moral panic for a minority of people and lead to complacent attitudes in the rest.

If there was any reason to be genuinely worried the Gardai would be issuing statements on the matter.

I understand but all i was trying to do was make people aware in this locality.

I don't think it is scaremongering because there is nothing scaremongering about keeping people aware as this sh1t is happening a lot in swords lately and if no one says anything then when some kid is abducted then the parents will be saying why didn't someone warn us or do something about sending awareness to the general public where this was happening.

if you spacers think i came on here to upset people then your wrong because that's just idiotic. anyway i was told this just after it happened and the gardai were there so that's it. if people get upset because someone sends information around to local residents of the area then tough sh1t, there is nothing wrong with being aware and if parents had more copon they wouldn't let their kids out at dark at that time anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I don't think it is scaremongering because there is nothing scaremongering about keeping people aware as this **** is happening a lot in swords lately and if no one says anything then when some kid is abducted then the parents will be saying why didn't someone warn us or do something about sending awareness to the general are where this was happening.

if you spacers think i came on here to upset people then your wrong because that's just idiotic. anyway i was told this just after it happened and the gardai were there so that's it. if people get upset because someone sends information around to local residents of the area then tough sh1t, there is nothing wrong with being aware and if parents had more copon they wouldn't let their kids out at dark at that time anyway.

It's total bullshi.t scaremongering. If it's happening alot then at least some sensationalist tabloid would have picked up on it.

Get off the internet and take care of your kids, there could be someone outside your window as you type here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't think it is scaremongering because there is nothing scaremongering about keeping people aware as this sh1t is happening a lot in swords lately and if no one says anything then when some kid is abducted then the parents will be saying why didn't someone warn us or do something about sending awareness to the general public where this was happening.

After you made your public service announcement were the streets of Swords thronged with parents rounding up their six year olds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If you know you chose the wrong place, don't moan when it lives up to the hype.

For someone who regged 4 days ago, you quickly caught onto AH vibe.

Welcome back.

Again HOW do you know this? People will only start taking you seriosuly when you answer this question. Until then, all you're doing is scaremongering and that can serves no purpose whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe scaremongering maybe not. There was a case a year or two ago where a man, in a suit (only details I remember) broight two girls into an empty house in Rivervalley and assaulted them. Only one I know of in recent times.

These kids tonight were either bright enough to alert someone or very imaginative.

It's total bullshi.t scaremongering. If it's happening alot then at least some sensationalist tabloid would have picked up on it.

Get off the internet and take care of your kids, there could be someone outside your window as you type here!

it happened 2 and a half hours ago numbnuts. and this kind of stuff has been on swords papers and others so relax and have a valium.

if you spacers ........

Hang on a second, this is getting insulting. We have a few Space Cadets, Spacemen, the odd Space Commander and Chuck, who is a Moon Unit (Mr Moon Unit being the proper form of address to you). Bit of respect for the ranks if nothing else please.

it happened 2 and a half hours ago numbnuts. and this kind of stuff has been on swords papers and others so relax and have a valium.

And verbally abusing people doesn't help your case either.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Again HOW do you know this? People will only start taking you seriosuly when you answer this question. Until then, all you're doing is scaremongering and that can serves no purpose whatsoever.

do you honestly think i am going to give you the name/names of the people who told me ? go on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement