Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music festivals sub-forum?

Options
  • 11-02-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

I recently got a PM off a poster with a suggestion to make a sub-forum specifically for music festival discussion. I don't think it's a bad idea and I wanted to see what regulars of this forum think.

In previous years there tended to be quite a drop off in festival activity after September but now that more festivals are announcing acts earlier than before we ought to see more year-round discussion.

Comments

It's been proposed before and once again I give a +1

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Yea it's A Good Idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

don't really see the need tbh. it just means another extra forum to look at on boards.
    at present, there's 4 festival related threads on the first page of G&E.
    i don't really see any benefit whatsoever in creating it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No need for one imo, pretty much what ghostdancer says, that and i think sub forums get less hits than main ones.

(sorry Freak!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

-1 from me
    I don't see the need for one, this forum is not cluttered and not busy enough to need to be split between gigs & festivals.

Can someone who is for it explain what advantages they see for splitting the forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I think its a good idea because the festival threads tend to be active for a lot longer and are used for more than just notification. They cover all aspects of the festival and also allow people to ask questions. I think other than the main festivals the threads get lost in amongst the gigs . I was looking for info on a particular festival recently and gave a shout out in the rock forum. I specifically chose not to as in gigs because i dont think anyone would have seen it unless they happened across it within 12 hours of it being posted. It would have been pushed way down the page quickly and ended up being bumped a lot. Imo festival threads are reference threads and gig ones are more notification and short lived. I would expect a lot less threads in festival section and easier access to the latest threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Nah

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fi H wrote: »
    I think its a good idea because the festival threads tend to be active for a lot longer and are used for more than just notification. They cover all aspects of the festival and also allow people to ask questions. I think other than the main festivals the threads get lost in amongst the gigs . I was looking for info on a particular festival recently and gave a shout out in the rock forum. I specifically chose not to as in gigs because i dont think anyone would have seen it unless they happened across it within 12 hours of it being posted. It would have been pushed way down the page quickly and ended up being bumped a lot. Imo festival threads are reference threads and gig ones are more notification and short lived. I would expect a lot less threads in festival section and easier access to the latest threads.

But you're expecting people from the Rock Forum to check a subforum, imo you did the rightthing by posting in Rock. Music is quite a nice category where stuff like that gets let slide.

My experience of subforums are they are for niches. Festivals don't fall into that imo.

Maybe but straight away someone wanted it moved! Anyway I believe it would be good to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

It might make sense If you want a forum where you can have multiple threads on the same festival for various different topics but I think encouraging that behavior is a bad idea. Have a look at the Efestivals international festival forum and see the 28 different threads on Benicassim to see what happens if you go down that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Toast wrote: »
    It might make sense If you want a forum where you can have multiple threads on the same festival for various different topics but I think encouraging that behavior is a bad idea. Have a look at the Efestivals international festival forum and see the 28 different threads on Benicassim to see what happens if you go down that route.

Definitely want to avoid that. At the moment I feel there are boards users that would appreciate a sub-forum as perhaps they have more interest in summer festivals than stand-alone gigs, and would like a dedicated place for such discussion or info, whereas others prefer having all discussion in the one forum, or see no reason to make a split.

I think thats a fair summary.
    Down to you to decide now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Well I can see the main point that's being raised, that Gigs/Events isn't busy enough to warrant a sub-forum. I mean, Gigs/Events is busy, but not super busy. And there's probably twenty or so major festivals that see discussion on here; if it had the potential to generate more discussion than the usual festivals that get talked about on here each year I'd be inclined towards it, but that doesn't necessarily happen when a dedicated sub-forum is made.

Advertisement