Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 6, Lost Kitties, please help!!

Options
  • 11-02-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

[IMG][/img]6858550773_cf1d423469.jpg
    catsbrighter by karen browett, on Flickr

Hi I would really appreciate if you could keep an eye out for these cats. They managed to get out of the house on thursday. They have never been out before, and since it was raining alot over thursday and friday Im afraid they might not be able to sniff their way home too easily. These cats are everything to us, so if you see or hear of any confused looking cats that you don't recognise in the area, (rathgar/harolds cross/rathmines/terenure etc) please get in touch.
    Thanks guys
    Karen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Poor things, I hope everything works out. I'm in Rathmines, will keep an eye out, most definitely, and if I find them I'll let you know immediately. Do they respond to their names, and do they have collars?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mutiny

Thanks, they should respond to their names, but they can be timid. They have no collars unfortunately, but they should still look like confused house cats, most of the strays around look pretty gnarly! Weezy is tiny, and tends to be very active and interested in whats going on, Pizzle is bigger, shaggier, and much more afraid of her surroundings, she might not come to people when called. Most cats have that ears pricking up response to their names though!
    Really appreciate you reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just wanted to say I really hope you find them. We have a house cat and would be devestated if he managed to get out.

I oresume you have made contact with the DSPCA?

Thank you, Yeah we have been in touch with the dscpa and two local vets, so we should hear if someone brings them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Cats wander. They are more than likely been fed by someone else and they will have forgotten all about you.

Thats Cats for you.

• Advertisement

dedon wrote: »
    Cats wander. They are more than likely been fed by someone else and they will have forgotten all about you.

Thats Cats for you.

That's unhelpful and completely unnecessary.

yeah thanks dedon, way to make someone exhausted from 3 days of no sleep and searching feel better! Ah sure thats the internet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I don't know if it will ease your ache Mutiny, but I know from experience that cats are the ultimate survivors as pets go. The chances are they are together as they know each other and will probably be doing fine. They will be back to you soon, I am sure. I wish you all the luck in the world in finding your beloved cats.

And of course you will have Boardsies looking for them too, the folks on here can do amazing things.

thank you :) we went on another hunt today but no joy yet. However you cant take two steps without seeing a poster around our immediate area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Mutiny: May also be worth posting on the lost & found sticky on the animal forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

We had a family cat years ago who went missing and ended up making his way home after about 5 mths. we had given up hope and I spotted him at the front door one evening. I hasten to add this was in the country and cats usually would find it easier to make their way home. The likelyhood is somebody is feeding them and perhaps has taken them in. I would keep an eye on the evening hearld, local notice boards on line,to see if anybody has posted a found cat message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

My cat went off for a few days in the same area, fingers crossed they'll come back soon. They are just so curious.............. I'll keep an eye out on my walks, I always look at the cats!!!!

Rochester wrote: »
    My cat went off for a few days in the same area, fingers crossed they'll come back soon. They are just so curious.............. I'll keep an eye out on my walks, I always look at the cats!!!!

I do too, except I talk to them as well :o I see at least one or two always on my way to and from work and I'm sure the owners are watching me from their windows saying 'there she is again, the mentalist'. I give them head scratches and little 'fuzzy wuzzy' kissy noises, like a weirdo.

Do you have any photos/names for yours that we can keep an eye out for?

oh theres a lost and found pets forum, i never knew thanks!
    They should answer to their names, but they may be in hiding. I can tell you pizzle forgot her hat so shes probably getting cold
    [IMG][/img]6870986993_0eb2757445.jpg
    IMG_1623 by karen browett, on Flickr

and heres Weezy hangin out on the stairs being tiny
    [IMG][/img]6871023365_b9ae14c901.jpg
    IMG_1782 by karen browett, on Flickr

Their sister is still here with us, somehow she resisted the temptation of the open door. They were all inseperable, and she has been distraught. I honestly didnt think cats were that sentimental about each other but she has just been crying and sniffing them out for days. She's used to sleeping like this on whichever one of them was near, in this case Pizzle. Hopefully they are re-untied soon!
    [IMG][/img]6871042373_d912791142.jpg
    IMG_1545 by karen browett, on Flickr

What little angels. No joy in Rathmines as yet, but the odd local cat has appeared in our basement lurking around the bins, so you never know what might turn up. I did see a little feller who looks a bit like Weezy around before, but it was early January, so it's not him. Looking at the photos on my phone they don't have the same markings either.

The hunt continues though

(PS Not sure if you're aware but I think you've posted your full name along with those photos...just in case).

oh I dont mind about my name, I'll give out all my details to get the cats back! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Any news of your lost cats? I hope you get them back - I know it's torture when your cat(s) go missing. Because they're so young and cute, someone might have given them a home, thinking they were homeless. Don't give up hope, cats very often find their way home. I've got my fingers crossed for you all.

Thank you everyone who read about my missing cats or shared the information. It means so much that such an overwhelming amount of people are helping out of the goodness of their hearts. It really has been a mind blowing response.

The wonderful news is that we now have one of our missing ladies back home safe and sound, and purring the house down. We are absolutely thrilled to have her home, and she won't run short on cuddles and treats for quite some time!! Sadly Pizzle, her timid sister, is still missing. We are absolutely heart broken without Pizzle. We bottle fed her since she was dumped in our garden at a day or two old, and she firmly attached herself to us, and spends most of her life sitting on our shoulders or tucked up on our knee. We are family, so to have her still missing but possibly so close by out of sight is devastating. The thought that she could be wasting away within a mile, possibly even a street from our house is so hard to bear. To know that people close by are helping to keep an eye out for her is the greatest comfort, and the best possible tactic to get her back safe and healthy. This is why your support has really bowled us over.

We suspect that wherever Pizzle is, that she is taking refuge in a hidden sheltered spot somewhere. Cats have been known to stay completely silent and still for weeks, coming out only under the cover of dark or when it is very quiet, to search for food. For this reason it would be a great help to us if you could do a careful check on your sheds, bushes, back lanes, behind bins or any other 'safe' spot a cat may have discovered. If you don't see a cat, perhaps you may see signs of a cat frequenting to the spot.

I ask that if you do live somewhere close, or if you know anyone who lives close, could you share the pages listed with them? I have made a facebook and a tumblr with some photo's and information, so people can try to put a positive I.D. On Pizzle. I have made posters and fliers, and talked to many people in the area, but I know there are still a lot of people to reach. I am aware that many people would not think to look at posters, and we get so much junk mail it must be hard to recognize that one of the fliers could be important. I also know that these days, many people might be more inclined to respond online, or post things that may be of interest to finding Pizzle. It's important to us to try to reach as many people in the neighborhood as possible, so your 'shares' would make the chances of finding little Pizzle so much higher.

http://www.facebook.com/FindPizzle

http://missingkitties.tumblr.com/

Thank you again, you guys are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I'm so pleased for you that you've got one of your cats back - and am keeping my fingers crossed you find Pizzle soon too.

How did you get Weezy back? Did she find her way or did someone spot her?

One of my cats went missing a few years ago and on the advice of an internet page I went out at 4am and called him, the thinking behind it being it's less noisy (no traffic or children playing etc) and it would make hearing his cries/reply miaows more possible. Sure enough, I heard him crying in response to my calling him. He was stuck 37 feet up a tree: up to 35 feet there were no branches and the trunk was a poker straight drop - which he was too young (7months) and too scared to contemplate. Eventually I hired a cherry picker and went up it myself to rescue him. He'd been there a few days at this stage and was getting hungrier, more tired and more terrified by the hour, so I couldn't leave him there.

That is, until he did it a second time. The difference the second time was he was older (supposedly wiser) and the tree he chose this time had a bough on it so he could rest/sleep a little, so exhaustion wasn't making him stop being able to think straight. Of course, he was bawling the whole time but he got down himself on the 5th day. He hasn't (to the best of my knowledge) been up since.

I started to tell you all that to mention the searching in the dead of night so as to be able to hear her cries better (and got carried away with telling you the whole story).

Also, please try not to wreck your head imagining Pizzle wasting away, near or far from home. I know it's difficult not to imagine the worst, but cats are amazing survivors; I've fed strays almost my entire adult life (and large portions of my childhood when I could) and I've been amazed many times by how much they can overcome and how well they can survive in tough times. I know Pizzle is still a baby, and she's timid, but hunger will help her overcome her fear if a kind person sees her and leaves out food for her.

I'm not living near where you are, but if telepathic good vibes have any power, I'm sending a truck load your way.

Hope to hear more good news soon. x

35 foot up a tree?! How do cats end up in these insane situations! It's mad what they get up to. Thanks for the encouragement. I've tried calling for her at all hours so far, I have even taken to sleeping in the sitting room beside the back door on a pile of couch cushions just incase I hear her come sniff at the food I leave out! I have been planning on switching up my sleeping hours though, Ive been trying to stay up as late as I can everynight, and go out calling periodically. I plan to go to bed super early tonight and get up at 4 and search then instead. I'm very aware of the neighbors though since I annoy them nightly shaking treat boxes and calling out, and there's so many babies and open windows in houses around us. I hope it works soon, it's impossible to fit in attending college, and work for himself, on 2 hours sleep a night! Still though, I'd do absolutely anything to get her back so I don't mind.
    Weezy appeared back in the neighbors garden howling in a panic. She was as loud as ten cats, so I think she must have just hidden under something till she got too hungry to stand it any longer. I'm impressed she found the general area of our house since they left in a panic in the rain without a clue what was outside the door. Weezy was skinny and dirty, about half her usual weight actually. Weezy is the more social cat, so I thought she would be straight into someones window, but I guess even the brave ones get scared silly sometimes.

Excellent news - hopefully the other missing kitty cat won't be far behind. I'm keeping my eyes peeled all the time for you.

• Advertisement

Glad one of the kitties came back! I live nearby and sometimes see cats on our back wall and call them across the roof for a chat at the window. I've kept an eye out for yours but haven't seen one like it yet. Told my housemate about it too but he wanted to bring in a black cat and find out if it was yours *facepalm* Hope he's not out there abducting the neighbourhood cats at the moment. Might leave a little bit of food on the flat roof outside my window next week and hope a hungry cat will come to eat (but it might just be magpies!) I can't really leave the window open for security plus can't have cats coming in to eat the two birds! Hope you find the kitty soon! I'd be devastated if our Blackie went missing, and he's an indoor-outdoor cat.

Thanks for keeping an eye! Its great to have so many people looking out for her. I havnt the faintest idea where she is now, I had assumed she was within 5-10 houses, but I have been constantly walking around the block in front and behind, and spent a lot of time in the adjoining lanes, but still havnt heard a peep back from my calls. Night or day. But however I'll just keep doing it, I might be calling to no one, but its much better than not calling. At least if she is hiding, she knows Im still around by my voice.
    New posters going up this weekend, it's impossible for her to have vanished into thin air. Just got to figure out where on earth she went! Ive been leaving food out too but Im attracting every other cat this side of the city, and Im not sure if they are just stinking up my garden like a big threat to her or not.
    Theres loads more pics on the facebook if your housemate wants to look! Much as Id love every cat in the neighborhood to be in my house, my landlady might get mad :)

http://www.facebook.com/findpizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

You poor thing. I live in Dublin 8 and I'm not around this weekend but I'll put up posters around this area on Monday just in case she's decided to take a trip to another postal zone. I'm sure you'll find her - it might just be a case of broadening the search - especially if somebody might have taken her in who lives a bit further away!!

oh thank you, that would be really great!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As a word of encouragement, my cousins had a cat go missing for 2 months (lost in the snow last year) before turning up. Hopefully you have a similarly happy ending.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I hope so! Thank you.

It's one month today since Pizzle went missing, I'm trying to get as many people as possible to see either one of my posters or the facebook page I made to help identify her. She has to appear to someone at some point, and it'd be great to make sure she's recognized when she does.
    The page is http://www.facebook.com.findpizzle
    please if you get the chance, pass it on to others, like it, share it etc.

It's possible she has travelled quite far at this point, so Im extending the areas Im searching in. It's also possible that she is pregnant, so it's very important to me to find her safe and well as soon as possible. If you know someone that feeds strays or takes in cats could you pass on Pizzles descriptions/photo also?

Thank you so much, Karen

Advertisement