Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Auditon??????????

Options
  • 11-02-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I have my piano audition, (by the way I got honours in my Grade 8 last week), for uni at the end of March and ONE of the college are looking for the 1st Movement of a Sonata by Beethoven, Mozart or Haynd. I started to play Beethoven Sonata No.5 Op.10 No.1 1st Mov. in C Minor a few weeks ago and it's going really well. Just have to put the hands together. Might just use this for all the other universitys.
    Does anyone know any other good Sonatas by these composers that aren't to difficult that I could use? They need other pieces by a different composer so please suggest pieces at Grade 8 level that I could use. Thanks :)
    Whoever done the piano audition for NUI Maynooth what was it like?? and does the 67 bus from pearse street to maynooth leave you beside the college or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

does the 67 bus from pearse street to maynooth leave you beside the college or what?
    Train may be a bit quicker. all the buses seem to drop you at main Street or Straffan Road. I presume the music department in in the main campus on Kilcock Road. http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Main+St&daddr=Kilcock+Rd&hl=en&sll=53.383751,-6.595724&sspn=0.006271,0.021136&geocode=FRiKLgMdCm-b_w%3BFTiVLgMdWEWb_w&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&t=m&z=16

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/661/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/671/

Give 60-70 minutes off-peak for the bus (30-40 minutes on the train from Connolly, longer from Pearse) + waiting time + faffing about time looking for where you need to go.

You need to be leaving town 2-2.5 hours before your appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

The Music department is in Logic House on South Campus.

Either the 66 or 67 are good to get you to the village and it's a short walk
    from there to Logic. The train also stops quite close to there so, it's maybe a 7 minute(slow) walk to the dept. from there.
    As far as piano pieces are concerned I'll see if funky Penguin is around as he is
    probably the person best to answer this one(I never did any grades).
    But I've always felt that Debussy goes down well, actually if it is Alison
    examining you it might be best to go with some Chopin(Preludes, Etudes) or a John Field Nocturne even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

haha! I think I saw this in the instruments forum too?

Best stick with whatever pieces you are familiar with, grade 8 should get you in no problem, especially if you got honours standard.

Don't try for something fancy at this stage (unless you REALLY feel like you can master it). Take your grade 8 pieces and get them as perfect and polished as you can.

grade 8 Chopin might be a little difficult, but have a look at some of his nocturnes. Stay away from the Etudes! The preludes are too short, and the long ones too tricky to get down at this stage.

I'd recommend maybe a debussy prelude, or perhaps this piece, it's not too difficult:

What pieces did you do for your Grade 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

haha! I think I saw this in the instruments forum too?

Best stick with whatever pieces you are familiar with, grade 8 should get you in no problem, especially if you got honours standard.

Don't try for something fancy at this stage (unless you REALLY feel like you can master it). Take your grade 8 pieces and get them as perfect and polished as you can.

grade 8 Chopin might be a little difficult, but have a look at some of his nocturnes. Stay away from the Etudes! The preludes are too short, and the long ones too tricky to get down at this stage.

I'd recommend maybe a debussy prelude, or perhaps this piece, it's not too difficult:

What pieces did you do for your Grade 8?

Yeah, thanks for the advice. For my Grade 8 I did, Scarlatti Sonata on D Minor K.1, Mozart Sonata K.280 3rd Mov.(Presto) and Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2 in E flat Major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Three nicely contrasting pieces. :) Or are you getting sick and tired of them at this stage? I was always like that myself.....

So what are the requirements for the audition? 2 contrasting pieces?

• Advertisement
Advertisement