Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

called names

• 11-02-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

I had a guy in the house today and he kept calling me scan. It was really annoying. Is this a country thing.

What other names have you been called that where that were just plain stupid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Einshteen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

c*nt, f*cker, w*nker, bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

cena wrote: »
    plane stupid

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Maybe you should have introduced your self to a "I had a guy in the house today".... so what was he doing, cleaning windows, painting doors or just looking in your fridge, I mean, had you ever met the guy before, or did he just wander in?

PS- was he wearing a fake moustache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Don't mind him horse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Is this a country thing. ...
    Yeah it's a furrin country ting, places like NoPunk-Chew-Ayshun an' MeeNo-Spikka-DaLingo an' Hava-Dale-WudMe-ToDayBoss. Common enough really. It can be a compliment or a grevious insult depending on who you're talking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Alan. For nearly a year.

It's not my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

earpiece wrote: »
    Maybe you should have introduced your self to a "I had a guy in the house today".... so what was he doing, cleaning windows, painting doors or just looking in your fridge, I mean, had you ever met the guy before, or did he just wander in?

PS- was he wearing a fake moustache?

Ya i've seen him before.

18AD wrote: »
    Alan. For nearly a year.

It's not my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Why was there a guy in your house OP?

• Advertisement

Aren't ye very nosey. Just doing work for ous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Not nosey... just trying to establish the relationship before the real commentry begins:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

"Kid", usually coming from people younger than me. One or two who aren't which I don't mind then. It seems an attempt to sound older than their years. It doesn't work and it usually comes coupled with a trampy accent. I don't mean tinkerish, just someone who doesn't bother pronouncing things properly if ya get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Cena is the Spanish word for dinner. Is this in any way relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Cena is the Spanish word for dinner. Is this in any way relevant?

Yes. Yes it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ah grand, just the handyman around so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Beure, horrible word, fien as bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Once I got called Doreen even though my name's Doireann o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I always wanted people to call me Mr T (my first name and last names both have Ts) but it never caught on. Only I call myself that now :'-(

My Mum has always called me Tiger, from when I was a wee lad. But it's not quite got the same cool factor as it would be if a girlfriend called me that.

Unless it's a particularly upsetting name, I'm not sure why it would bother you.

Scan doesn't really have any bad connotations (or any relevant connotations, at all) so I'm not sure why this bothers you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Dude. I'm not a stoner anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I had a guy in the house today and he kept calling me scan. It was really annoying. Is this a country thing.

Were you being paid by this man-lets call him John-to be called scan? That would explain it,get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

'Dude'.

I am going to beat you to death with your own arms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

My sister in law always calls me 'my dear girl' when she is disagreeing with me in a discussion. THe red mist descends and all I can see is me hitting her over and over again. I never do though. She thinks we get on great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Anybody else feel that this guy thought he was actually in scan's house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

"Pet", i hate people who use this term, problem is its normally old people or very nice people that use it, so i cant just turn around and tell them to feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I swear there is a guy in our local filling station, I've no idea where he comes from but he seems to have the worst imitation D4 accent.
    When I'm paying for diesel he'll call me , "mate", "bud", "buddy", "dude" or even "fella".
    I mean fluck it, whats wrong with hello or how's it going !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

bbam wrote: »
    I swear there is a guy in our local filling station, I've no idea where he comes from but he seems to have the worst imitation D4 accent.
    When I'm paying for diesel he'll call me , "mate", "bud", "buddy", "dude" or even "fella".
    I mean fluck it, whats wrong with hello or how's it going !

Those are weird names

Lisha wrote: »
    My sister in law always calls me 'my dear girl' when she is disagreeing with me in a discussion. THe red mist descends and all I can see is me hitting her over and over again. I never do though. She thinks we get on great
    Only more condescending when preceded by "Now, listen here..."

Whenever someone says "listen here" I immediately tune out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If he was working for the OUS I think you got off lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Lisha wrote: »
    Beure, horrible word, fien as bad

Most people I know would use beure in an affectionate way!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Scan? is he from Milltown by any chance?

scan, sham, mush, scoby, boston, all in heavy rotation round there

could be worse the guy at the fish stall called me "El duderino" the other day

milehip1 wrote: »
    Scan? is he from Milltown by any chance?

scan, sham, mush, scoby, boston, all in heavy rotation round there

could be worse the guy at the fish stall called me "El duderino" the other day

Would that be miltown Galway. Not that I know of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

A glaswegian guy in a pub kept calling me "big man". It was very annoying. I think what he was expressing was roughly: "[so you think you're a] big man [you ****??]"

A glaswegian guy in a pub kept calling me "big man". It was very annoying. I think what he was expressing was roughly: "[so you think you're a] big man [you ****??]"

No he wasn't, it's pretty common in Glasgow and Big Yin, Billy Connolly's nickname, is a common version of it.

A glaswegian guy in a pub kept calling me "big man".
    Sounds like he was coming on to you. Maybe he liked what he saw at the urinals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I always get called "serial killer larry murphy" because i killed a few lads, but it was 80's, everyone was doing it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

What other names have you been called that where that were just plain stupid

Cena are you the guy that got bags of sick thrown into your car one night?:eek:

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Cena are you the guy that got bags of sick thrown into your car one night?:eek:

Ya I am. Why. But it was at the car

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Would that be miltown Galway. Not that I know of

yep that Milltown=scan,Tuam=sham,mush,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Ya I am. Why. But it was at the car

Just it was one of my favourite threads I 'm sure it wasn't very nice for you but it gave me a giggle:D

• Advertisement

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Just it was one of my favourite threads I 'm sure it wasn't very nice for you but it gave me a giggle:D

Glad you found it funny. A week later I opened the bonnet to put some windscreen washer in and there was sick all dried in on the engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I always get called "serial killer larry murphy" because i killed a few lads, but it was 80's, everyone was doing it:mad:

tell me about it; you step one foot wrong and everyone thinks you're married to paul mc cartney...

Advertisement