Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Westnet

Options
  • 11-02-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with Westnet. I have been ringing them for the last week every day and I still have not recieved a reply back regarding an Issue....great customer service..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

greenpilot wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with Westnet. I have been ringing them for the last week every day and I still have not recieved a reply back regarding an Issue....great customer service..

I had a problem with them which they couldn't resolve for half a year.

My internet connection was working for 5 minuts, then 5 minutes stalled, then again working for 5 minuts and stalled again.
    All appeared when I was using Linux. Under Windows everything was fine.
    AFAIK their routers/firewall were configured to prevent people from using p2p services like bit-torrent, etc, and even though I wasn't using any of those, somehow their routers or firewalls treated the way my linux-box was using the internet, as it was p2p software.
    I was contacting them many many times. It was hard to get any response. Eventually I got engineer to come to my house. He checked the antena and said everything was fine (of course it was, as connection quality through antenna was great, but this wasn't a problem). Anyway he switched me to another transmitter, which didn't change a thing.
    I was still making complains, but they said they can't do anything.

I resigned, and got broadband from eircom which is working brilliantly comparing to westnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I've always found them fairly good to deal with. There was a rep who used to post on here. Have a search through the threads and you might find it.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

He has PM'd me, and I've responded.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RMDrive wrote: »
    I've always found them fairly good to deal with. There was a rep who used to post on here. Have a search through the threads and you might find it.

Have them in since 2005 myself with out much issue in fairness.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

CiniO wrote: »
    AFAIK their routers/firewall were configured to prevent people from using p2p services like bit-torrent, etc, and even though I wasn't using any of those, somehow their routers or firewalls treated the way my linux-box was using the internet, as it was p2p software.
    I'm curious about this one. Can you PM me your details, as I'd like to check our records on this?

I ask because we're an entirely Linux-based company. All our servers run Linux, even many of our routers are Linux-based. I have four or five Linux PCs at home, I rarely use Windows at all. I know of several customers who use Linux all the time. The idea that our network would prevent a Linux box from accessing the Internet doesn't add up for me at all, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

My tuppence worth - I have Westnet since about 2006 and have had 3 issues in that time. 2 of the problems were of my own making and the problem that was an actual Westnet issue was sorted in minutes. I always find that a quick mail to Paul will see very quick results.

Advertisement