Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever come across people like this...

• 12-02-2012 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Just wondering boardsters, I seem to regularly cross paths and swords with people who hold the following opinions;

- That Stalin was never responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of people, it was a gross exaggeration.

- That President Assad is being attacked by not civilians, but heavily armed 'Al-Qaeda' wannabees' and they should be killed and Assad is acting in the correct fashion.

- That every other communist nation or any other nation apparently supporting 'Israel' is condemned for any action at all regardless of the circumstances.

- Anything the USA does is inherently bad...because the USA does it.

Every opinion seems to be linked to either 'Communism' or 'Anti-Israel' in some shape or form.
    And it's not 1 of the opinions above, it seems to be always ALL of them which is the worrying thing, especially the Stalin one.

Now that's not an exhaustive list, but I think you get where I'm heading. Is it just me who encounters these amazingly ignorant people or is it a regular thing, and if so how do you deal with toads like this...cos I'm losing the rag with them to be perfectly honest!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

This is gonna end in tears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Yeah ..you know the green things in Mc Donalds burgers.....some call them cucumbers and others call them gherkins..

welcome to the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It's high time you took those ignoramuses out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Correct

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    Yeah ..you know the green things in Mc Donalds burgers.....some call them cucumbers and others call them gherkins..
    Personally I call them pickles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Correct

I'm no great supporter of the US, but these people seem to have an irrational almost obsessed hatred with it...

Just wondering boardsters, I seem to regularly cross paths and swords with people who hold the following opinions;

- That Stalin was never responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of people, it was a gross exaggeration.

- That President Assad is being attacked by not civilians, but heavily armed 'Al-Qaeda' wannabees' and they should be killed and Assad is acting in the correct fashion.

- That every other communist nation or any other nation apparently supporting 'Israel' is condemned for any action at all regardless of the circumstances.

Every opinion seems to be linked to either 'Communism' or 'Anti-Israel' in some shape or form.
    And it's not 1 of the opinions above, it seems to be always ALL of them which is the worrying thing, especially the Stalin one.

Now that's not an exhaustive list, but I think you get where I'm heading. Is it just me who encounters these amazingly ignorant people or is it a regular thing, and if so how do you deal with toads like this...cos I'm losing the rag with them to be perfectly honest!!

Is that Joe Stalin you're on about ?

Are they the little onions you get in jars ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

It's high time you took those ignoramuses out

The Gherkins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Not personally, but your post does remind me of the time when the US and UK were conducting air strikes against Iraq, and the sun rag asked two "White van men," one English and one American, to give their takes on the situation.

The American guy said with complete confidence that they were right to attack as Communist Russia (in 1988!) was supplying Saddam with weapons so as to start World War III. :eek:

I hoped against hope that he wasn't representative of the majority of his compatriots.

I'm no great supporter of the US, but these people seem to have an irrational almost obsessed hatred with it...

That's because they're the devil, and they'll raisin-ize your penis the second you let your ninja guard down

The Gherkins?

Pickles ?

Pickles ?

Pickled Gherkins? Pickled Onions? PICKLED EGGS??? <vomit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

bluewolf wrote: »
    welcome to the world

This ^

Reason being, you will always find people that you can agree with on or offline. No great mystery behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

The Gherkins?
    Pickles ?

Ehmmmmm.....

Yeah, this thread couldn't be more on topic

;)

Black holes are the result of trying to pickle a pickle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Probably not the best thread to announce that I'll be visiting North Korea in August

but sure fcuk it :pac:

No funnily enough, they are called onions. Odd that innit

• Advertisement

Black holes are the result of trying to pickle a pickle

The scientists have themselves in a right pickle trying to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

They're called trolls OP, they do it for the lulz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Is that Joe Stalin you're on about ?

No, your thinking of Joe Stalin from Naas, walks with a slight limp in the cold - drinks Budweiser, the OP is on about Joe Stalin from Russia or "Big Joe" as hes better know. To be fair I understand your confusion and blame this whole nasty mix up on the OP.

BTW yes I have come across people with opinions that I find unbelievable but the think some of my opinions are unbelievable also so it kind of evens out (oasis are better than blur!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

They are the last dregs of the old Soviet psyops departments, cells set up by the USSR to indoctrinate the youth from within academia and other tradionally easy to radicalise groups like the Trade Unions.

Less about communism and more about spreading the influence of Russia, a fact which even few of their members recognise, they managed to get into and thoroughly sock puppet groups like Sinn Fein, who as opponents of a NATO member were deemed suitable for assistance.

The leaders of these northern nationalist groups in turn saw the value in having a permanent enemy, capitalism, rather than one whose inevitable eventual defeat, the UK, would mean their raison d'etre would shrivel up and them along with it.

The Russians while not really communist anymore are being typically thrifty and not letting even such unstable intelligence resources as these go to waste, and as such continue their mission, no doubt with a disbelieving grin on their faces half the time - note that tellingly, Russia and China have been vetoing international action in Syria; not for righteous or moral reasons but to stop any further US inroads into the middle east, civilian casualties be damned.

And the final question of course...

Don't forget, nightly checks under the beds for reds kids, there might be commies in YOUR closet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Probably not the best thread to announce that I'll be visiting North Korea in August

but sure fcuk it :pac:
    Going to get pointed at by himself, apparently you havent lived until he points at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Going to get pointed at by himself, apparently you havent lived until he points at you.

I'm mainly going to see this

The being pointed at, cameras in the ceiling of the hotel room and ever present propagandists is just a bonus :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yes, follow the pickle. The gourd is just there to tempt us.

Advertisement