Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any suggestions for a nice restaurant in carlow town ??

Options
  • 12-02-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

i am going to be staying in a hotel in Carlow town for valentines with my partner, and we are planning on going out for a meal also can anybody tell me of any really nice restaurant in carlow , Indian would be on top of the list but will definatly consider going to a different restaurant if they are any nice ones in carlow? ?

thanks!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

i am going to be staying in a hotel in Carlow town for valentines with my partner, and we are planning on going out for a meal also can anybody tell me of any really nice restaurant in carlow , Indian would be on top of the list but will definatly consider going to a different restaurant if they are any nice ones in carlow? ?

thanks!!!!

Indian wise there are at least two excellent restaurants. Shapla and Bombay Diner.

FYI if you are looking for a decent restaurant in a particular place then tripadvisor can be used. They do more than hotel reviews. Anyway here is the link for Carlow restaurants, make for some interesting reading

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g199125-Carlow_County_Carlow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Never been to an Indian in Carlow.
    But the top 3 for me are, in order.
    Joes Chinese. Very nice inside, friendly staff good service.
    Lautrecs. Lamb shanks used to be incredible, that was a year ago, reports of it going downhill since.
    LemonGrass. Chinese/Japanese style.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Shapla is lovely. The Weeping Thaiger is consistently good. The Jasmine (Chinese) out at Closh is good too.

Lautrecs is not what it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Shapla is lovely. The Weeping Thaiger is consistently good. The Jasmine (Chinese) out at Closh is good too.

Lautrecs is not what it used to be.

+1 on The Weeping Thaiger, their Pad Thai is amazing, best I've had outside of Thailand.

Have you been to Lautrecs since it reopened in Oct/Nov? I actually think it's better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

almighty1 wrote: »
    Indian wise there are at least two excellent restaurants. Shapla and Bombay Diner.

What time do the Bombay doors open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mimosa Tapas is my favorite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

+1 on Weeping Thaiger! amazing food!

Lotus is nice for a chinese in the centre of town!

I have heard good things about the tapas place down near the Cathedral!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

thanks for all the comments,

its going to be one of the Indians for me either the Shapla or Bombay Diner, which ever I can get a table at have to ring early tomorrow, are they both in town ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Yeah both are in town, I was at bombay diner on Sat night and was pretty full but food was nice and service was quick so I have to say I was impressed with it.

They also have a special offer for valentines for €40 (per couple) offor 3 courses of any a la carte starter, a la carte main course, a bombay special ice cream and tea\coffee.

The only down side to both Indians is that you need to bring your own beer\wine. Both have off licenses within 2 minutes walk of them though so you should be ok there.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Yeah both are in town, I was at bombay diner on Sat night and was pretty full but food was nice and service was quick so I have to say I was impressed with it.

They also have a special offer for valentines for €40 (per couple) offor 3 courses of any a la carte starter, a la carte main course, a bombay special ice cream and tea\coffee.

The only down side to both Indians is that you need to bring your own beer\wine. Both have off licenses within 2 minutes walk of them though so you should be ok there.

thanks thats great, i will ring them tomorrow hopefully get a table for tomorrow night, 40euro per couple is a great deal :) is that in town centre where abouts is it near?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

thanks thats great, i will ring them tomorrow hopefully get a table for tomorrow night, 40euro per couple is a great deal :) is that in town centre where abouts is it near?

Its very central, on Barrack Street, near Abrakebabra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the are some bins out back of most restaurants... if you can find a good fish skeleton your sorted :P

Went to the Shalpa after because Bombay diner didn't have the time that we were looking for,

starter was gorgeous! but the main was a different story, we both ordered chicken korma because that's all we eat from Indians, but when it came out it looked very different than usual, the sauce was pure white, very runny, and tasted very bland but sickening, they figured something was up soon enough because we both couldn't eat it, so had to leave the restaurant ,

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

Oh can't believe you didn't like the Korma in Shapla! I love it, and the Pasanda they make.

If you travel outside of Carlow town, Clonegal has a great little bistro called Sharoe. It's evenings only, I think Wed-Sun, and you need to book, but really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

I hate the korma outta that place too!! I thought it was just me. It's so sickening. Tikka masala is gorgeous though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Have to say that the I never liked the look of the korma from there but then I have always ordered the chili masala and it is gorge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

tommycahir wrote: »
    Have to say that the I never liked the look of the korma from there but then I have always ordered the chili masala and it is gorge ;)

Bombay is decent too, the Dansak is lovely

Advertisement