Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD2600XT vs GeForce 7900GS

Options
  • 12-02-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Ok I've been working on abit of a project lately to restore an old Dell XPS 700 with some spare bits laying around.
    I've already installed a Core 2 Duo 6400, 3GB of ram and 2 old 160GB IDE HDD's, I got two old graphic cards to choose from that I already have stored away, a 2600 xt and 7900 gs both with 256mb of memory.
    I know the 7900 has more power behind it but the 2600 is DX10 and since I'm going to install Windows 7 onto the XPS and the fact that some newer games don't support DX9 anymore I'm leaning more towards the 2600 but I'm not 100% convinced yet.
    How much of a gap in performance is there between the two and which one do you think I'm better off going with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

This gives some idea of what to expect.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/HD_2600_XT/7.html

I can't say for certain, but if the GS is anything like the GTO (both are suffixes usually associated with striped down GT cards) then it's quite a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

nothing dx10+ is going to be amazing with those cards anyway. I'd take the 7900.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

my mate just informed me that he might have a 7900 laying around and if he finds it he'll give it to me aslong as i give him something after the comp sells when i'm done, so if thats the case sli 7900's it is :D

Advertisement