Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT as a college for non-commuters?

Options
  • 12-02-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hey, I was thinking about applying to DIT this year, but my friend who's in Cathal Brugha St. is really disheartening my decision about going by saying it's pretty bad for students who move to Dublin?

Apparently most people commute and for non commuters it's more difficult to make friends who are in Dublin, and that there isn't much to do with your free time?

Anyone have any opinions? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Noelly wrote: »
    Hey, I was thinking about applying to DIT this year, but my friend who's in Cathal Brugha St. is really disheartening my decision about going by saying it's pretty bad for students who move to Dublin?

Apparently most people commute and for non commuters it's more difficult to make friends who are in Dublin, and that there isn't much to do with your free time?

Well I do live at home, so it doesn't really apply to me, however a couple of mates of mine from down the country do live up in Dublin and they've had no problems.

In fact quite the opposite really, they all live in the city centre, so after a night out its usually back to theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah I think as long as you get into a student accommodation place it's fine. I know people staying in Broadstone hall I think it is, and all her flatmates are from DIT and she probably has the best time out of everyone.

I'd say as long as you go somewhere that is studenty and not a houseshare or something for first year you'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Yeah I think as long as you get into a student accommodation place it's fine. I know people staying in Broadstone hall I think it is, and all her flatmates are from DIT and she probably has the best time out of everyone.
    its a good spot location wise (and mcGowans across the the road for handyness), pretty expensive rent wise though (well no one i know has lived there in 2 years so it might have changed). student accomodation like broadstone or marino would be a great way to meet people in ur first year (outside of your course) and getting a house from there with a few.
    there is plenty of societies, especially if your willing to move outside ur own campus for the meetings. Bolton street is very close to cathal bruagh and on a bike aungier street and kevin street are no distance either.
    on my course id say a bit under 50% live at home, and as Grand_Rajnah was saying those that do comute, especially the nutters who do it from Naas, Ashbourne, Navan and those kind of distances will be looking for a counch at the end of nights!
    the only really bad thing about moving to dublin in comparison to other places is the rent is nearly twice the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Noelly

Thanks guys! :)

Yeah the thing that was off putting was not living with other students but I emailed the people in Broadstone to find out about it now so I might end up going there! :D Is it far from Cathal Brugha?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It's about 10 or 15 minutes walk. There's a bus you can get if you're feeling particularly lazy though that's like 3 stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

its pretty close, right next to bolton street really, a few buses stop outside which will bring you to o'connell street. its here. modern red brick facade building across from the CIE depot. (constitution hill junction).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Noelly wrote: »
    It obviously also depends on making the effort- being assertive and friendly/joining clubs or societies and going on class nights out etc..
    If someone is living in Dublin already and goes to college they're not just going to be sticking to their own circle of friends and hanging out with the people they went to school with- everyone will be in the same boat, trying to make a new group of friends, whether from Dublin or not.
    As Grand_Rajnah said, the students who have moved up to Dublin have a great time because they normally live beside the campus! :)

Advertisement