Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whitney Houston DEAD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Lapin wrote: »
    I didn't bring it up Doc.

I was responding to an earlier post.

Bedtime for me I think!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

dermiek wrote: »
    I think it's time to take Whitney off the 'maybe have sex with' list, and move her onto the 'definitely have sex with' list.

After Hours on Boards.ie really does portray some of the most revolting, sickest, perverted and fúcked up minds in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Same old thing again someone dies & some are off passing judgement or joking.
    Good old After Hours sure where would you get it. Salute (with Lyrics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If Bobby Brown died this year, a rerelease of Two Can Play That Game would sell millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Houston, we have a problem.

It took 28 comments for that one? AH I am disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

struck me as some sort of yank chav. Plain enough girl with basic entry-level interests aspiring to being classy and sure that was all the more appealing the 80s but.. Ironically, behind the facade and into the 90s .. falling well short. Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

stovelid wrote: »
    If Bobby Brown died this year, a rerelease of Two Can Play That Game would sell millions.

Bobby Brown, as much of a sh*tbag as he is, can write a good tune. He's a very able songwriter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Good night sweet princess.

She was far from a sweet princess now in fairness.thats a line you reserve for your daughter or cat maybe, but not her.sweet princess me arse.

Rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

shrewdness wrote: »
    mackeire wrote: »
    Kojak wrote: »
    Jesus :eek:

RIP
    bit late for that... he died over 2000 years ago!!

Less than 2000 actually, unless the Jews crucified him as a child!
    doesn't matter what age he was when they crucified him, its now 2012 ad. meaning its 2012 years since he was crucified, making the original statement correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

doesn't matter what age he was when they crucified him, its now 2012 ad. meaning its 2012 years since he was crucified, making the original statement correct.

Well I think there was a deviation of 6 years since Chinese records seem to record an observation of a comet that we believe was the star the Three Wise Men followed to baby Jesus. So 2012 should be 2006, but it's a pretty pedantic argument as you'd have to ignore all the other reforms and revisions of our calendar since it was adopted.

Any way on topic, one of the most cringe worthy Oprah shows was the Whitney Houston interview.

They both held hands at the end and said, 'I love you', to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Why is everyone blaming Bobby Brown? Whitney Heuston was a big girl and no one forced her to overdo it with drink and drugs. She was an adult and, at 48, had to be responsible for her own actions. A sad waste of a great talent.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, that's going to let the air out of the Grammys tonight ... WH was at the hotel for a pre-Grammys party. Entertainment news website TMZ has wall-to-wall coverage of all the news and rumours.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Rest in peace Whitney the voice of an angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nope. The calendar counts from his year of birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

RIP Whitney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Very sad ......RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

zenno wrote: »
    A woman that had millions and of which had a good life and a good life ahead of her for her whole life knew what she was doing the first time she got into drugs. even with all that cash to live in paradise with they still fcuk it all up by getting greedy and thinking they are invincible. like they say, no matter how wealthy you are you can still be braindead to the riches you already have and overgreed yourself to death.

If this was an average joe-soap you wouldn't even know of his/her passing so what's the big deal ? she was a woman of sound mind one time in her career so why have so much grief over a person you don't even know personally ? some people learn the hard way and some people learn the on planet pluto way.

She was a human being who was in pain and suffering, why do you think she thought she was invincible?

I get the sense that you take pleasure in her death. If you had to suffer like her you may have took to drugs as well to relieve the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves.

Strange, it always sounded like MOR $hite to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

She was a human being who was in pain and suffering, why do you think she thought she was invincible?

I get the sense that you take pleasure in her death. If you had to suffer like her you may have took to drugs as well to relieve the pain.

Excuse my ignorance but what pain was she in? Did she have an illness before she took to the drugs?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

LH Pathe wrote: »
    struck me as some sort of yank chav. Plain enough girl with basic entry-level interests aspiring to being classy and sure that was all the more appealing the 80s but.. Ironically, behind the facade and into the 90s .. falling well short. Yawn.

Whitney Houston was anything BUT plain. I'm by no means a fan of her music but I know a superb singing talent when I hear it and Whitney had it in spades.

Wow...the cynicism and sneering is really coming out of the woodwork this morning on AH.

RIP Whitney - a singer of great talent. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A great voice and one that will stay with us long after her death. I also remember her youthful vibrancy and beauty when she first exploded onto the scene. An instant star. But then unexpectedly she start getting headlines for the wrong reasons. Although the world has lost a great talent and in these days still young. Although I feel a sympathy for her and who she left behind. Somewhere in me I see this as just another high profile drug death, she brought it on herself, for she certainly had the means to get help, the best of help. Although I feel sympathy I also feel what a twat and what a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

oh. shock. another celeb junkie dies.

oh wait, no, not a shock.

RIP, yadda yadda yadda, great voice, blame someone else, ehhh, pressures of fame, random excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is kevin costner unemployed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

oh. shock. another celeb junkie dies.

oh wait, no, not a shock.

RIP, yadda yadda yadda, great voice, blame someone else, ehhh, pressures of fame, random excuse.

Thanks for your valuable contribution. I'm sure we're all the better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

kwalshe wrote: »

How can you have so many thanks

another dead junkie. she used to be able to sing, then got ****, now is dead. There are a lot sadder stories than this today.

xzanti wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance but what pain was she in? Did she have an illness before she took to the drugs?

Emotional pain. She was most definitely suffering. She needed drugs to relieve the pain. Such fame at a young age can seriously fukc people up, it can entangle itself in your ego and make you fragile to the perceptions and comments of other people. The first drug she took she was completely unaware of. It's a little pill called fame. On some people it's harmless, but on others it's deadly. She got a massive high from positive fame, and then became addicted to it. When that high went away she went into withdrawal and desperately needed something to replace it. Drugs were that replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Lirange wrote: »
    Thanks for your valuable contribution. I'm sure we're all the better for it.

glad I could help you with grieving for someone you have never even met and have nothing in common with.

• Advertisement

Emotional pain. She was most definitely suffering. She needed drugs to relieve the pain. Such fame at a young age can seriously fukc people up, it can entangle itself in your ego and make you fragile to the perceptions and comments of other people. The first drug she took she was completely unaware of. It's a little pill called fame. On some people it's harmless, but on others it's deadly. She got a massive high from positive fame, and then became addicted to it. When that high went away she went into withdrawal and desperately needed something to replace it. Drugs were that replacement.

Haha ffs! Seriously? Is there no such thing as personal responsibility for your own actions anymore? There has to be an "illness" or a "condition" rather than people making bad choices?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

She got a massive high from positive fame, and then became addicted to it. When that high went away she went into withdrawal and desperately needed something to replace it. Drugs were that replacement.

She was at the height of her fame when she met Bobbi Browne..

the dunne wrote: »

Haha ffs! Seriously? Is there no such thing as personal responsibility for your own actions anymore? There has to be an "illness" or a "condition" rather than people making bad choices?

Who says there's no such thing as personal responsibility? She paid for it with her life. All I did was explain IMO why she took to drugs, I don't feel the need to judge her as a good or bad person. To me it's obvious she was suffering. Sh1t happens. I don't judge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

So sad to hear another star paying the ultimate for their own decisions.
    Fame- you can shove it where the sun don't shine:(

Who says there's no such thing as personal responsibility? She paid for it with her life. All I did was explain IMO why she took to drugs, I don't feel the need to judge her as a good or bad person. To me it's obvious she was suffering. Sh1t happens. I don't judge it.

Fair dues, i took you up wrong there. Apologies.

I just find it hard to sympathise or understand some of the extreme outpourings of grief and the sense of loss that some/most are feeling on this thread

Jaysus H. Christ. You should be a writer for THS or Behind The Music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

bit late for that... he died over 2000 years ago!!

Think again.

AD began in the year 1.

(There was no year 0, which dictates that Christ was one year old on the day he was born.)

And as Christ was crucified at the age of 33 it naturally follows that He died less than 2000 years ago.

Circa 1980 years ago would be more likely estimate.

Even allowing for a decade each side of His supposed birth year to accommodate those who disagree with its timing, the result is still less than 2000 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The folks who hang out at b3ta.com have chimed in with a bit of movie-related satire. Not for Scanlas or anyone else feeling upset by this ... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Dudess wrote: »
    Was she one of your relatives?

Are relatives the only people you can feel any sympathy towards on their passing?

I honestly don't get why people feel the need to post unfunny puns about someone who's just died. It's their perogative to do so, it just looks really out of place on a thread about a woman who died suddenly, leaving behind a young daughter.

I don't see the humour in that at all :confused:

• Advertisement

I honestly don't get why people feel the need to post unfunny puns about someone who's just died. It's their perogative to do so,l :confused:

I lol-ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I lol-ed

I did notice the pun when I wrote it, but thought maybe no-one will notice :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

RIP

I remember dancing around to 'I wanna dance with somebody' as a little girl. I thought Whitney Houston was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

I saw her on some TV show a few years ago and was pretty horrified at how she looked. It was obvious then how ravaged her body was from the drugs.

Sad when anyone dies at a relatively young age. I think she leaves behind a little girl :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

It was the fact that Whitney was gay, was in a relationship with her manager Robyn Crawford and that this was a no-no for her family, African-Americans, much of the rest of the American public and the record industry in 1990s America, the country being in the midst of fierce debate about issues of homosexuality.
    The downward spiral of her career can be noted at this time.
    The whole gay thing has at this stage pretty much mainstreamed;unfortunately too late for this woman.
    Wonderful voice, stunningly beautiful woman.
    Think she's having some real fun in this vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Some people really need to catch a grip. Celebrity singer dies due to self-inflicted overdose. The mass outpuring of grief this morning over this is extremely misplaced.

Meanwhile in Syria...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDX5tUKVr3c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Il Trap wrote: »
    Some people really need to catch a grip. Celebrity singer dies due to self-inflicted overdose. The mass outpuring of grief this morning over this is extremely misplaced.

Meanwhile in Syria...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDX5tUKVr3c

Most people can manage to care about more than one thing at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Are relatives the only people you can feel any sympathy towards on their passing?

I honestly don't get why people feel the need to post unfunny puns about someone who's just died. It's their perogative to do so, it just looks really out of place on a thread about a woman who died suddenly, leaving behind a young daughter.

I don't see the humour in that at all :confused:

Are famous people the only ones who get RIP'ed on the internet when they die or kill themselves?

No-one on this thread knew her, met her or ever spoke to the woman. Why are they feeling sympathy for her over, say, people being massacred in Syria or even someone who dies in Ireland that they also didn't know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Somebody should have pulled her aside a long time ago and said "Houston we have a problem"....:p

prolly been said 95 times already...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Giselle wrote: »
    Most people can manage to care about more than one thing at a time.
    I didn't suggest they couldn't. My point referred to some of the near-hysterical expressions of grief that I have read here and elsewhere this morning, regarding WH's death.

It is reasonable to suggest that the situation in Syria at this minute, for example, is extemely more tragic than the self-inflicted death of a wealthy American pop singer. Yet are the same emotive sentiments for hundreds killed there every week being expressed en masse, as in the case of WH?

So yes, I stand by my original opinion that many people really should catch a grip - in this case, maybe redefine their understanding of the concept of a tragedy and broaden their awareness of the world in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

wrote:
    ]Mitch Winehouse, the father of late British singer Amy Winehouse who died last year, also paid tribute to Houston and the recently deceased Etta James on the social networking site, writing: "Amy, Etta, Whitney. Their music will NEVER die. What a great girl group in heaven. Mitch".

Easiest game of 'Spot the odd one out' ever.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Easiest game of 'Spot the odd one out' ever.

Sir, just because Ms. Houston was black does not mean you can spout your racist vitriolic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement