Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whitney Houston DEAD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

her final performance, just two days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It's weird, I was just talking about the proliferation of The BodyGuard leather jackets around the country in the mid nineties last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Are famous people the only ones who get RIP'ed on the internet when they die or kill themselves?

No-one on this thread knew her, met her or ever spoke to the woman. Why are they feeling sympathy for her over, say, people being massacred in Syria or even someone who dies in Ireland that they also didn't know?

Who are you to say that people don't feel sympathy for people in Syria? Most people do. This gets brought up every time someone famous dies - the 'yeah well, it's nothing compared to what's happening in *inset some war-torn, f*cked up region of the world*', and to be honest it's boring. I honestly think that people who consistently bring that point up are just up on some moral high horse that somehow requires people to reject sympathy for certain people just to prove how sorry they feel for victims of civil war, etc. Death in all its forms is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Somebody should have pulled her aside a long time ago and said "Houston we have a problem"....:p

prolly been said 95 times already...

I said that earlier and got pretty bad abuse on facebook from a girl I haven't seen in 7 years. I really don't feel badly about this compared to Gary Speed's death a few months ago. People are just going nuts over this. She was a junkie and not your family get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I loved her so much as a kid , i remember Madonna was the bad chick and she was pure as snow , and i loved the fresh good girl image . Then it totatlly switched, Madonna turned out to be a great mom and really looked after herself and poor Whitney self destructed , if you had asked me in the eighties i would have bet all my money on Madonna dying at 48 not Whitney . R.I.P Whitney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Lapin wrote: »
    I was never a huge fan of Whitney Houston but I did like some of the stuff she sang. She had a great voice and was a fabulous looking woman back in the day.

She was a world famous entertainer who appealed to millions, and comparing her death to those of homeless unknown drug addicts on the streets of Dublin (or anywhere else) in an exercise in crass stupidity.

Good luck on gaining entry to The Soccer Forum.
    However, you won't last 5 minutes in that place with smartárse comments. Take it from me - I know from experience.

I wasn't trying to be a smartarse. In fact, there were far worse comments made than mine.

I was merely trying to provide some balance to a thread in which the passing of a successful movie star and singer was being proclaimed a "tragedy". And again, I am not trying to cause offense to you or anybody!

Also, I have no desire to post in The Soccer Forum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Who are you to say that people don't feel sympathy for people in Syria? Most people do. This gets brought up every time someone famous dies - the 'yeah well, it's nothing compared to what's happening in *inset some war-torn, f*cked up region of the world*', and to be honest it's boring. I honestly think that people who consistently bring that point up are just up on some moral high horse that somehow requires people to reject sympathy for certain people just to prove how sorry they feel for victims of civil war, etc. Death in all its forms is sad.

Il Trap + TwoShedsJackson = pair of f*cking hipsters.

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Butterface wrote: »
    In fact, there were far worse comments made than mine.

True, in fairness.

But
    I was merely trying to provide some balance to a thread in which the passing of a successful movie star and singer was being proclaimed a "tragedy"...

Who proclaimed Houston's passing as a tragedy?
    Seeing as you have the word in quotation marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Oh no, Whitney was my lyfe.

Goodnight sweet princess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Il Trap + TwoShedsJackson = pair of f*cking hipsters.

:rolleyes:
    Absolutely not....I never said her death wasn't sad. I'm sure her family and those closest to her are devestated. I'm talking about the people who are practically grieving for her online. Facebook is ablaze with these muppets.

I love football. If Lionel Messi dropped dead tomorrow from a drug overdose I'd be sad to see the world lose a genius of his profession. But I wouldn't be mourning him as if he was a close friend, as many people are doing at the minute.

Is that really so difficult for you to understand!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's disingenuous to pretend it's unreasonable for people to pay more attention when it's someone they recognise. May not be fair, but it's natural and human, and I don't agree it deserves demonisation.

I do agree it's strange when people express deep sadness for someone they don't know, but if they were big fans it's kinda understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Hundreds of men, women and children killed in Syria in the space of 24 hours = zero fúcks given.

Whitney Houston dead = songs played on radio for a week. documentaries and movies released about her life. new CD released of her greatest hits. main headline on almost every newspaper and magazine until they find out how she died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Hundreds of men, women and children killed in Syria in the space of 24 hours = zero fúcks given.

So you reckon it's Kevin Costners fault?

Hundreds of men, women and children killed in Syria in the space of 24 hours.....

Name one of them.

And no googling either.

Name one of them.

And no googling either.

I cant? I thought the fact that it's hundreds of men women and children being killed by their own government forces would be enough for people to give a shít. Do they need to be named for people to care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

whatsamsn wrote: »
    FFS. :mad:
    Have a bit of deceny.

She was a singer. An entertainer. Not known for something evil or fuc*ed up. Geez, if one of your relatives passed you'd be quickly too tell me to f**k off. Show some respect you ass.

Did you know her personally?

People die everyday of the week, nobody cares about it, the minute a celebrity dies, the whole world goes into mourning.

Who gives a fcuk?

But
    I was merely trying to provide some balance to a thread in which the passing of a successful movie star and singer was being proclaimed a "tragedy"...

Who proclaimed Houston's passing as a tragedy?
    Seeing as you have the word in quotation marks.
    I think I did - and I'm hardly one of the mourners. It is of course a tragedy though - that's just a descriptive term. She was only 48, had a serious problem with hard narcotics, and left behind a 19-year-old daughter who already witnessed her mother and lowlife father getting ****ed up on drugs.

That poor kid...

Yeah it happens all the time, but when you've familiarity with the people in question, it's natural to focus more attention on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Il Trap wrote: »
    Absolutely not....I never said her death wasn't sad. I'm sure her family and those closest to her are devestated. I'm talking about the people who are practically grieving for her online. Facebook is ablaze with these muppets.

I love football. If Lionel Messi dropped dead tomorrow from a drug overdose I'd be sad to see the world lose a genius of his profession. But I wouldn't be mourning him as if he was a close friend, as many people are doing at the minute.

Is that really so difficult for you to understand!?

P.S. Is this mailing list archived online anywhere? I had a quick look but couldn't find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Did you know that her debut LP, titled simply 'Whitney Houston' had four number one singles on it? It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, Elizabeth, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album

I have to return some videotapes . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Who gives a fcuk?

Nice.

Have to love it. The first person in the thread that stands up for the woman, and the usual AH attack ensues. She didn't live her life like a saint, but there is still a teenage daughter now without a mother.

Just because you're not related to someone doesn't mean you shouldn't have some empathy for those they've left behind. Some people are just all out cúnts.

RIP Whitney, condolences to her family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Just awoken from my drunken slumber to see this! I knew she fell on hard times but RIP, 48 is no age

Name one of them.

And no googling either.

I cant? I thought the fact that it's hundreds of men women and children being killed by their own government forces would be enough for people to give a shít. Do they need to be named for people to care?
    People do care, but a group of nameless people versus a very well known individual... it's natural there will be more attention to the latter. It's not done out of badness, it's just the natural order. Fair? No, but you can't blame people for their automatic responses. This comes up every time - it's a bit holier-than-thou to feign shock at it tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Abi wrote: »
    Nice.

Have to love it. The first person in the thread that stands up for the woman, and the usual AH attack ensues. She didn't live her life like a saint, but there is still a teenage daughter now without a mother.

Just because you're not related to someone doesn't mean you shouldn't have some empathy for those they've left behind. Some people are just all out cúnts.

You're right, there is a teenage daughter without a mother. But if it turns out that her death was drug related who's fault is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Nice.

she brought it on herself, and where were this so called family when she needed them. if any of my family were into the **** she was then i'd do everything i could to put a stop to it, even if i had to lock them in a room and tie them to their beds

• Advertisement

whatsamsn wrote: »
    FFS. :mad:
    Have a bit of deceny.

She was a singer. An entertainer. Not known for something evil or fuc*ed up. Geez, if one of your relatives passed you'd be quickly too tell me to f**k off. Show some respect you ass.

Did you know her personally?

People die everyday of the week, nobody cares about it, the minute a celebrity dies, the whole world goes into mourning.

Who gives a fcuk?
    Loads do. Can't see what's so surprising about people paying more attention to a big name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I wil always love yooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

tigger123 wrote: »
    You're right, there is a teenage daughter without a mother. But if it turns out that her death was drug related who's fault is that?
    You don't know that yet.
    wesf wrote: »
    she brought it on herself, and where were this so called family when she needed them. if any of my family were into the **** she was then i'd do everything i could to put a stop to it, even if i had to lock them in a room and tie them to their beds

Horrible.

No, but its a fact of life that when a world famous personality dies, its going to make the headlines. Regardless of the cause of death.

And if people want to mourn or pay tribute that person online, what harm ?

It doesn't mean they care any less about street riots in Syria, famine stricken Somalia, or crime ridden Roscommon.

Its the internet for crying out loud. There's room for everyone and countless websites and forums devoted to the problems in Syria.

Visit them if you want to avoid people expressing condolences for someone they had time for.

Nice.

Self inflicted so no sympathy from this side, there are plenty of kids out there without a mother and it is due to natural causes, if her daughter meant so much to her, she might have lead a different life and she may still be here today.

If you don't like the "usual" AH response, why are you here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

As I said in another forum. Just another dead junkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

You don't know that yet.

Horrible.

That's why I used the word 'if'. She was a known drug addict, and she's dead at 48 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Self inflicted so no sympathy from this side, there are plenty of kids out there without a mother and it is due to natural causes, if her daughter meant so much to her, she might have lead a different life and she may still be here today.

If you don't like the "usual" AH response, why are you here?

Can't most deaths be argued as "self-inflicted" though?
    "Cancer, eh? Maybe she should have eaten more vegetables!"
    "Hit by a car, eh? Maybe she should have paid more attention to where she was going!"
    "Struck by lightning, eh? What the **** was she doing out in the middle of a storm?"

etc.

No, but its a fact of life that when a world famous personality dies, its going to make the headlines. Regardless of the cause of death.

And if people want to mourn or pay tribute that person online, what harm ?

It doesn't mean they care any less about street riots in Syria, famine stricken Somalia, or crime ridden Roscommon.

Its the internet for crying out loud. There's room for everyone and countless websites and forums devoted to the problems in Syria.

Visit them if you want to avoid people expressing condolences for someone they had time for.

I'm not complaining about people on boards or the internet. It is sad that she died so young and left behind a daughter. It's expected that her death would get this much attention, I'm just saying it always takes 1 celeb death for people (specifically news stations, newspapers, the general media) to not pay attention to what else is happening in the world. I have no problem with people expressing condolences, what kind of dick doesn't let people express condolences?

Ficheall wrote: »
    "Hit by a car, eh? Maybe she should have paid more attention to where she was going!"
    "Struck by lightning, eh? What the **** was she doing out in the middle of a storm?"

etc.

Dying from cancer, getting knocked down, struck by lightning etc, are things that are out of your control. However, dying from excessive use of narcotics is a whole different ball game:confused:

Oh, the "Her own fault - just another junkie" brigade has arrived - we need the bad-ass pic pronto...
    How do you know they didn't try? You don't. Nor do you know any of the nuances and complexities. She sought a speedy divorce from Brown, which would indicate she was trying to move on from that life. One of her relatives, sister I think, got pics of rooms in her house published - to show what a state it was in, in order to shock her into getting help or for someone to intervene.

I think it's ****ing idiocy to start doing crack, especially if you've a child, but I still feel some sympathy. And if you can't feel any for her, surely you'd acknowledge it's a tragedy for her daughter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

DEAD ! :pac:

etc.
    That's one hell of a stretch, in fairness...

Fairly obnoxious really to put someone dying of cancer (POSSIBLY due to not eating enough vegetables) on a par with a mega-rich woman becoming a crack-head. Troll-tastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Are relatives the only people you can feel any sympathy towards on their passing?

I honestly don't get why people feel the need to post unfunny puns about someone who's just died. It's their perogative to do so, it just looks really out of place on a thread about a woman who died suddenly, leaving behind a young daughter.

I don't see the humour in that at all :confused:

Are famous people the only ones who get RIP'ed on the internet when they die or kill themselves?

No-one on this thread knew her, met her or ever spoke to the woman. Why are they feeling sympathy for her over, say, people being massacred in Syria or even someone who dies in Ireland that they also didn't know?

Possibly because she sang great songs and gave pleasure to people who liked her music, possibly because they feel a connection having heard her speak, sing and perform etc. it's hard to feel anything for some random name in the news who died.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh, the "Her own fault - just another junkie" brigade has arrived - we need the bad-ass pic pronto...

How do you know they didn't try? You don't. Nor do you know any of the nuances and complexities. She sought a speedy divorce from Brown, which would indicate she was trying to move on from that life. One of her relatives, sister I think, got pics of rooms in her house published - to show what a state it was in, in order to shock her into getting help or for someone to intervene.

I think it's ****ing idiocy to start doing crack, especially if you've a child, but I still feel some sympathy. And if you can't feel any for her, surely you'd acknowledge it's a tragedy for her daughter?

obviously its terrible for the daughter, but i have no sympathy for anyone that even starts that crap, everyone knows where it leads to, it takes a certain type of person to start into that stuff, a weak willed or minded person in my opinion. i have no desire to take drugs, because i know where it leads and i wouldn't do that to myself or my family!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I don't get why people are up in arms that posters on a public forum would pass comment on a household names early death.

Its noteworthy because people are loosely familiar with the woman, and some people feel a real loss because they got a lot of enjoyment out of her work over a period of years and years (not something I understand but to each their own).

Of course they're going to feel the loss of that more than the passing of anonymous strangers in Syria, its human nature.

It doesn't mean they don't thing the Syrian strangers aren't worth mourning, just that they knew nothing about them, unlike Houston.

As for bringing it on herself, the woman had an addiction. She didn't snort her first line of coke knowing she'd wind up with her life blighted by dependance, a little compassion for that wrong turn wouldn't go astray. Human beings make catastrophic mistakes in their lives, it doesn't mean they deserve a premature death.

You don't know that yet.

Horrible.

:D how is that horrible, she took the drugs knowing what it would do to her, she made the choice, she was an idiot for making that choice and surprise surprise it killed her, what did you expect would happen?! answer me this, why don't you go out and take every drug under the sun?

Fairly obnoxious really to put someone dying of cancer (POSSIBLY due to not eating enough vegetables) on a par with a mega-rich woman becoming a crack-head. Troll-tastic.

The point I was trying to illustrate was
    Unfortunate death contrasted with Lack of sympathy + some "justification" as to why they don't deserve sympathy.
    Where is the line separating where it's acceptable to blame someone for their own death and where it isn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

:D how is that horrible, she took the drugs knowing what it would do to her, she made the choice, she was an idiot for making that choice and surprise surprise it killed her, what did you expect would happen?! answer me this, why don't you go out and take every drug under the sun?

Cost for a start???

kfallon wrote: »
    Cost for a start???

so your saying the only factor stopping a person from becoming a junkie is the cost?!

tigger123 wrote: »
    Nice.

Why does it have be about someone to blame? I don't think anyone is saying she was a saint. Regardless of blame its a sad situation when someone ruins their life and leave's behind a daughter with no mother.

You don't know that yet.

Horrible.

Are you happy she's dead?

I've a question, wesf -your post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65664545&postcount=310
    says
    just heard this! some people on this and other forums i've seen need to cop on, a man has died. how would they like it if we made jokes about their family if god forbid one died.
    some people should be ashamed of themselves.
    rip gerry
    What's the difference? Or what happened in the interim to make you such a hard-nosed cynic?

• Advertisement

The point I was trying to illustrate was
    Unfortunate death contrasted with Lack of sympathy + some "justification" as to why they don't deserve sympathy.
    Where is the line separating where it's acceptable to blame someone for their own death and where it isn't?
    Proactively damaging oneself is surely where the point of "self inflicted" begins. It's not that ambiguous in fairness.
    I'm not a fan of the "No sympathy" crap but to say most deaths are self inflicted is beyond disingenuous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement