Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whitney Houston DEAD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Dammnit Kevin Costner! you had one job, just one Goddamn job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Dudess wrote: »
    Proactively damaging oneself is surely where the point of "self inflicted" begins. It's not that ambiguous in fairness.
    I'm not a fan of the "No sympathy" crap but to say most deaths are self inflicted is beyond disingenuous.
    I said they could be argued as such.
    Smokers, people who drink too much alcohol, people who have unprotected sex, people who eat unhealthily - they're all "damaging themselves", no?

Anyway - I've no desire to derail the thread. I was merely trying to present a reductio ad absurdum argument as to why following the logic of certain posters no one is entitled to any sympathy.

RIP Whitney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It's a shame she died the way she did and I wouldn't wish death upon her. But, that's not to say I'm mourning her loss.
    She was a very talented singer and unfortunately she'll be known for her downfall as much as her singing.

Her so called friends should be ashamed of themselves though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Are you happy she's dead?

no, not happy, i'm not that bad!
    Ficheall wrote: »
    I've a question, wesf -your post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65664545&postcount=310
    says

What's the difference? Or what happened in the interim to make you such a hard-nosed cynic?

good detective work! well i think gerry ryan wasn't as bad, as in he didn't waste away into nothing like whitney houston did, plus i think its worse in her situation because she had a seriously amazing gift and threw it away, i just don't get that!
    also the whole amy winehouse thing, she was a junkie and everyone on facebook and forums with the usual rip and how shocked they were, it was just a matter of time with her!!! she had an amazing voice also and just wasted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Il Trap wrote: »
    Some people really need to catch a grip. Celebrity singer dies due to self-inflicted overdose.

You really need to patent those amazing Toxicology tests you used to confirm those findings. Because that I can assure you is a record breaking result. What were your autopsy findings btw? Any evidence of Ischemia, MI, PE or CVD perhaps? Any evidence of FLD? No point in going on though since you already presented your findings. Still, I suppose I'll await final confirmation from suitably qualified Medical professionals on this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

RIP Whitney. As The Verve sang The drugs don't work. There will be nothing else in the papers tomorrow either which in true media style will be ironic and hypocritical seeing as they'd be the first to relay Whitney's latest fall from grace before she died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If you don't like the "usual" AH response, why are you here?
    Because not all of the after hours users are utter dickheads, also, I will do what I fcuking like Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Not a fan of hers,but its very sad for her daughter,more proof that drugs kill. RIP Whitney!! Her aunt Dionnie Warwick must be devastated,what a waste of a life...
    Her drug dealer must be devasted... Davina mcall next please.

Abi wrote: »
    Because not all of the after hours users are utter dickheads, also, I will do what I fcuking like Andy.

so he's a dickhead for having an opinion that doesn't match with yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

RonMexico wrote: »

I can finally come to terms with his death now, it's better that he went first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

wesf wrote: »
    well i think gerry ryan wasn't as bad, as in he didn't waste away into nothing like whitney houston did, plus i think its worse in her situation because she had a seriously amazing gift and threw it away, i just don't get that!
    So, let me get this straight - you think it's sadder that Gerry died because he was a (relatively) talentless hack and fortunate enough not to be as addicted as Whitney was? Could you explain your logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tbh I'm probably a dickhead :rolleyes: :o

So, let me get this straight - you think it's sadder that Gerry died because he was a (relatively) talentless hack and fortunate enough not to be as addicted as Whitney was? Could you explain your logic?

the greater the talent, the worse it is when its thrown away, she had everything and wasted it through choice

so he's a dickhead for having an opinion that doesn't match with yours?
    Who the fcuk asked you?

kfallon wrote: »

Tbh I'm probably a dickhead :rolleyes: :o
    Nah, not you pet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Why am I posting here again? Oh yeah, Whitney. Erm, RIP I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Who the fcuk asked you?
    It's an open forum sister. Don't comment unless you're willing to receive responses from everyone. Some who have a differing opinion to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

well i think gerry ryan wasn't as bad, as in he didn't waste away into nothing like whitney houston did, plus i think its worse in her situation because she had a seriously amazing gift and threw it away, i just don't get that!
    I think its fair to say whitney would have access to infinitely better quality drugs than fat Gerry would have. Therefore she would have become more addicted. Also Gerry was an absolute whale of a man who didnt let a live radio show get in the way of him polishing off plates of food that had "just been handed to him" by local butchers restaurants and bakerys.

iregk wrote: »
    Who the fcuk asked you?
    It's an open forum sister. Don't comment unless you're willing to receive responses from everyone. Some who have a differing opinion to yours.
    And I will reply to who I want to mkay, bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

As I said in another forum. Just another dead junkie.
    Some mother's daughter, some girl's mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fairly aggro thread, is everyone hungover? :pac:

Great talent but fell to some demons, similar to Amy Winehouse I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Can't stop crying, she's literally dead. :(

nuxxx wrote: »

Severly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

MOSSAD wrote: »
    It was the fact that Whitney was gay
    The fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

...and her Dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Wow, lots of snide comments going on in this thread!

Wasn't her biggest fan, I will admit her music got on my wick, but I do appreciate that she had a great voice!

I genuinely hope she finds some peace in death, she certainly didn't seem to have it in life.

RIP

And I will reply to who I want to mkay, bro.

Yeah that's cool and I never said you shouldn't. Just don't get all menstral when someone has a slightly different view or someone else chimes in.

And why didn't she think of said parents and daughter before being completely selfish and destroying all those lives? Like I said nothing but a selfish junkie but hey she was famous so it's devastating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Dudess wrote: »
    The fact?
    I never speculate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

? Like I said nothing but a selfish junkie but hey she was famous so it's devastating!

+1 for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

iregk, it's not the "difference of opinion" (that line is getting old - it's used to justify trolling and being a dick) it's the way the different opinion is so cold and lacking compassion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I just find it hard to sympathise or understand some of the extreme outpourings of grief and the sense of loss that some/most are feeling on this thread

"Extreme outpourings of grief" ?

Is that what you call users posting 'rip' and expressing how they felt that she died too young, etc - because that's all I'm really seeing on the thread so far.

Seems to me some are seeing what they want to see so they can play the 'I'm too cool to give a fcuk about celebs' card and proceed to question the sincerity of those that just want say something half decent about someone in or around the time of their death.

What I actually question, is the sincerity of users that post vile and tasteless comments on the night news breaks of the death of someone like Whitney Houston. I question whether those users are really that classless irl, as they are undoubtedly coming across online, or is it all really just simply about getting themselves a little easy attention.

You do really have to wonder about those that cannot stand to see people being respectful to someone in the event of their demise. Cries of lack-of-sincerity are almost automatic these days on such threads, which would be fair enough if there was genine evidence of it, but there usually isn't, what there usually is though, is an element trying to stir shit and these threads have always been low hanging fruit for such users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

And why didn't she think of said parents and daughter before being completely selfish and destroying all those lives? Like I said nothing but a selfish junkie but hey she was famous so it's devastating!

Has to be one of the stupidest comments on this thread yet.

Has to be one of the stupidest comments on this thread yet.

Really? Explain how she wasn't completely selfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

RIP Whitney I idolized her and her amazing talents
    surprised cause she looked healthy and also starring in a new film

WhitneyHouston11Feb2012.jpg

Yeah that's cool and I never said you shouldn't. Just don't get all menstral when someone has a slightly different view or someone else chimes in.
    Another AH low, guys that accuse female posters of being on the rag if they stand up for themselves or speak out.

Pathetic.

Another AH low, guys that accuse female posters of being on the rag if they stand up for themselves or speak out.

Pathetic.

World of difference between standing up for yourself and asking a new poster "who the fcuk asked you"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

sincerity of those that just want say something half decent about someone in or around the time of their death.

I think the key point there is the word 'someone', people are not saying RIP because a drug user died. They're saying it because of her music. Where as people who had no interest in Whitneys music see her as just a drug user. And they have every right to. She made good music in her time and decided to self destruct her career.

I wouldn't have sympathy for a person using drugs if they where a nobody or a somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

obviously its terrible for the daughter, but i have no sympathy for anyone that even starts that crap, everyone knows where it leads to, it takes a certain type of person to start into that stuff, a weak willed or minded person in my opinion. i have no desire to take drugs, because i know where it leads and i wouldn't do that to myself or my family!

A lot of people dabble in drugs and not everyone gets addicted, for starters.

Also, the woman was quite clearly depressed. She probably took drugs because she was depressed and was depressed because she took drugs. It's a vicious circle. It's sad that anyone should be so unhappy that they would end up in the state she was in. Nobody chooses to be a drug addict or an alcoholic or depressed. I'm sure she didn't want to be the way she was - who would? Good for you that you've no desire to take drugs, but there are a lot of people who struggle with mental health issues that get sucked into that world thinking it offers an escape. There's a reason there are so many drug addicts. Doesn't mean they're not deserving of some amount of sympathy. I feel sorry for anyone who is that depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

So I'm a dickhead because I don't share the same opinion as you?

You can do what you like, I was only asking a question as to why you would bother reading AH if it annoys you to hear the "usual" AH response.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread with petty arguments. We are all entitled to our opinion.

Good day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Outrageous! The Psychology of Self-Righteous Indignation

The term "self-righteous" is defined by yourdictionary.com as "filled with or showing a conviction of being morally superior, or more righteous than others; smugly virtuous"

Beautiful. That's exactly it. Not virtuous, but smugly virtuous. It is about feeling superior to someone else.

http://www.kellevision.com/kellevision/2009/01/outraged-the-psychology-of-righteous-indignation.html

Of course by copy and pasting this I get to be super-duper smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

RIP Whitney Houston

Sad to hear of anyone dying at such a young age..

Thank you for all the music Whitney..

Many a drunken snog was had to your music back in the day..

Life can be tough on some people...

May she find peace now.

• Advertisement

Pathetic.

World of difference between standing up for yourself and asking a new poster "who the fcuk asked you"
    But how fcuking sad do you have to be to use a woman's menstral cycle as a reply??

I recall some other sad bastard saying that to me in AH before, and it went down like a lead balloon with other posters.AH shyte.

Hold on till I nip out to the kitchen and make you a sammich. What was I thinking ever leaving it in the first place, how dare I. Shan't be long, I just have to blast it with piss first.

Change the fcuking record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

She had a voice and nothing else.

Tragic that she attracted what she did.

RIP

And a lot of Bobby inside her.

That's what happens when you smoke too much crack.
    She wont be the first, and she wont be the last.
    When will they learn?
    As she used to say: Crack is whack.
    Shame she couldn't take her own advice and leave the devils pipe alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

But how fcuking sad do you have to be to use a woman's menstral cycle as a reply??

I recall some other sad bastard saying that to me in AH before, and it went down like a lead balloon with other posters.AH shyte.

Hold on till I nip out to the kitchen and make you a sammich. What was I thinking ever leaving it in the first place, how dare I. Shan't be long, I just have to blast it with piss first.

Change the fcuking record.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/thesolanum/gifs/Back_away_slowly.gif

Great talent but fell to some demons, similar to Amy Winehouse I suppose

I am not hungover.
    I swam another 300 metres this morning.
    There is more to life than binge drinking on a Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

No, probably just not arsed feigning sadness over the death of a drug addict they didn't know who made bad, cheesy music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Self inflicted so no sympathy from this side,

I dare you to go onto a missing persons thread and say that when the unfortunate individual turns up dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, boards user? t's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, boards user, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 smartkid

Very sad indeed...she was one of my favourites. Was watching her movie (for the millionth time!!), The Bodyguard just a few days ago. RIP Ms Houston

I am not hungover.
    I swam another 300 metres this morning.
    There is more to life than binge drinking on a Saturday night.

That must be where I am going wrong, Mark Spitz!! :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement