Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whitney Houston DEAD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Abi wrote: »
    Another AH low, guys that accuse female posters of being on the rag if they stand up for themselves or speak out.

Pathetic.

You stay classy San Diego!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Hopefully now that she is dead she cant find peace blah blah. 48 isnt that young. She had her time on earth, had a few laughs, drugs and kid/kids. At least she wont have worry about this poxy economy.
    We all have to tighten our belts. Havent been away now for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, boards user? t's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, boards user, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

I have to return some video tapes.

@BretEastonEllis
    Bret Easton Ellis
    Whitney Houston: Yes, somewhere tonight Patrick Bateman is weeping, shocked but not surprised, and ordering three hookers instead of two...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

I re-tweeted that XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, boards user? t's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, boards user, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

An 80's legend, up there with Phil Collins, though his best work was his Genesis days, works better within the confines of a group. Huey Lewis, that was another one!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Her pusher must be in an awful state!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

K-9 wrote: »
    An 80's legend, up there with Phil Collins, though his best work was his Genesis days, works better within the confines of a group. Huey Lewis, that was another one!

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Was never a fan of Whitney Houston or her music. But despite her fame and fortune I know she was a troubled soul, especially considering her bastard of a husband. :( I always had a soft spot for "My Love is Your Love"; not sure why but I always liked that song.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

So I'm a dickhead because I don't share the same opinion as you?

We are all entitled to our opinion.

Good day :D
    It's not just because of having a different opinion.
    Saying you find it hard to have sympathy because she brought it on herself but it's terrible for her daughter would be a less harsh way of putting your opinion, which, yes, you're entitled to have.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Dont think either Phil or Huey were Cokeheads though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Pace2008 wrote: »
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Fairly aggro thread, is everyone hungover? :pac:
    No, probably just not arsed feigning sadness over the death of a drug addict they didn't know who made bad, cheesy music.

Bad music??? She not only made brilliant music, she sang some stunning songs, possibly the best voice I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Never saw the appeal of her type of music. Ear splitting shyte.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Fairly aggro thread, is everyone hungover? :pac:
    No, probably just not arsed feigning sadness over the death of a drug addict they didn't know who made bad, cheesy music.

Bad music??? She not only made brilliant music, she sang some stunning songs, possibly the best voice I've ever heard.
    :pac:

Bateman-esque or what?! :p

Her music, bar the odd song, was dreadful IMO - extremely insipid. Superb voice all right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Bobby brown has just been found dead :-(
    Suicide.

The note said ' two can play at that game'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Absolutely, she was one of a kind, such a lady, elegant and graceful not giving into sexualising herself for more money but she remained true to her values, you couldn't say the same about rihanna and beyonce and others . She was true to herself.
    It was her personal circumstances, broken marriage and drug addictions that gradually took over. It's very very sad. You could see how much she could give in the songs she sang, shes gives everything to them and you can see she lives every word of the songs sincerely and gracefully.

• Advertisement

Hopefully now that she is dead she cant find peace blah blah. 48 isnt that young. She had her time on earth, had a few laughs, drugs and kid/kids. At least she wont have worry about this poxy economy.
    It's not young, but it's an extremely early age to die in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whitney Houston music - never a fan of that kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Bobby brown has just been found dead :-(
    Suicide.

The note said ' two can play at that game'

Oh god that's terrible news.

RIP Bobby Brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Nuxx I laughed my arse off at the homer gif :pac:
    [

This is what pisses me off the most. She was extremely talented. She couldn't get away from her addiction, but that doesn't make he a bad person.

A lot of the nay-sayers are giving her grief, when it's likely they've smaller addictions of their own they couldn't quit anytime they felt like it.

I know I for one sang along to her music growing up, and despite her battle with drugs she had a talent most can only dream of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

At least she wont have worry about this poxy economy.
    Ah here Jesus, come down off that cross and let me up.
    Crucifixion would be a relief:pac:
    Dudess wrote: »
    Her music, bar the odd song, was dreadful IMO - extremely insipid. Superb voice all right though.
    I think so too.

Obviously the big loss here is the human loss of this woman as a mother and friend to the people who were part of her life.

But from a musical point of view, it is rather a pity that Houston never put that amazing voice (when it used to be an amazing voice) to some more unique or creative use than replicating a dozen female soul/pop icons that had come before her. She hasn't left her own unique mark on current music, which is rather a shame given the potential her voice had to do so.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    Oh god that's terrible news.

RIP Bobby Brown.

RIP

A wonderful man by all accounts, an absolute hero and an angel. We'll never see the likes of him again. I always thought a lot of him.

Oh he's still alive?

Well, you can't kill a bad thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rupert Murdoch is said to be deeply touched by the messages from family and friends left on whitney houston's phone.

efb wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch is said to be deeply touched by the messages from family and friends left on whitney houston's phone.
    That has to be the post of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It is young- she was only a few years older than me, and I consider myself young still,thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I keep thinking of Xmas 1992 now and that Liverpool tracksuit I got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

msthe80s wrote: »

It is young- she was only a few years older than me, and I consider myself young still,thank you very much.

Axl Rose was 50 the other day. Don't think anyone back at the height of their fame would have thought that he would outlive Whitney Houston. That goes for the rest of GNR & Motley Crue, Van Halen etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My own late mother didn't even make it to 47. :( 48 is a very early age to die and only someone who is younger than 25 could think otherwise.

RIP Whitney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Shouldn't there be a 'in my opinion' in here??

Amazing voice, yes, no doubt about it, but her music was crap. That's just, like, my opinion man.

msthe80s wrote: »

Well it's far from old, it's only early-stage middle age - but it's not young IMO. I'm nearly 34 and don't think I'm young. I'm youngish but not young.
    I wouldn't consider "not young" to be such a negative thing.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My own late mother didn't even make it to 47. :( 48 is a very early age to die and only someone who is younger than 25 could think otherwise.

RIP Whitney.
    Someone who is younger than 12 more like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think if there was a thread here about a 99 year-old dying, there would be people lining up to say, sure they had der whole like ahead of dem etc.

later10 wrote: »
    She hasn't left her own unique mark on current music, which is rather a shame given the potential her voice had to do so.
    Yeah I think that too. Such a shame that voice was only put to use for sugary, bland ballads. She could have done some unreal soul stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:o She will be a real soul artist now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Not surprised that the general tone of this thread is that no one is particularly surprised or that bothered that she has died - she didnt do herself any favours for sure in the way she came across as a person in the media..
    Cant help wonder if it were any other artist if the Grammys would still go ahead...she was due to appear and a spokesperson said she would have wanted the music to go on..unfortunately with whatever she was on, she probably wouldnt have been arsed either way..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Shouldn't there be a 'in my opinion' in here??

Amazing voice, yes, no doubt about it, but her music was crap. That's just, like, my opinion man.

How do you define good music?

The best of the best made crap music. Bob Marley is highly regarded and he only made about 5 good songs. Whitney Heuston made a lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The best of the best made crap music. Bob Marley is highly regarded and he only made about 5 good songs. Whitney Heuston made a lot more than that.

I define it as music I like to listen to, and Whitney Houston certainly isn't it. Nor is Bob Marley but I don't like reggae either. We're coming back to the whole opinion thing, Bob Marley is highly regarded by some people. Others, like me, wouldn't listen to him if their lives depended on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

It's not just because of having a different opinion.
    Saying you find it hard to have sympathy because she brought it on herself but it's terrible for her daughter would be a less harsh way of putting your opinion, which, yes, you're entitled to have.

I'm not going to pussyfoot around with my opinion, it is what it is. It doesn't make me a bad person if you don't like the way I express my views.

It is sad for her daughter, it's not nice for any person to lose a parent/friend/sibling etc. I'm just saying that she could have given herself a better chance at life. Live by the sword, die by the sword. I find it hard to have any sympathy for Whitney Houston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

48 is too young to die

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Bob Marley had a lot more than 5 good songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

later10 wrote: »
    But from a musical point of view, it is rather a pity that Houston never put that amazing voice (when it used to be an amazing voice) to some more unique or creative use than replicating a dozen female soul/pop icons that had come before her. She hasn't left her own unique mark on current music, which is rather a shame given the potential her voice had to do so.

I dunno. I wasn't a fan of her music, and like yourself, I think she could have put her terrific voice to better use with even just edgier music. Soul music at its best is dead cool, and she could have been so much better musically. However, I don't agree that she hasn't left a mark on music. She will be remembered as a great, great vocalist and has influenced a whole generation of female singers. For better or for worse, if it hadn't been for Whitney Houston there more than likely wouldn't be any Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Rihanna, even earlier singers like Mariah Carey and Celine Dion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

It's looking like she may have drowned
    Although the cause of death is unknown, it is increasingly looking like Whitney may have fallen asleep or lapsed into unconsciousness in the bathtub and drowned.

Law enforcement sources tell us, Beverly Hills cops retrieved approximately a half dozen pill bottles from Whitney's room ... including Xanax. No illicit drugs were found.

http://www.tmz.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

telekon wrote: »
    Congrats bobby brown. Hope you're proud of yourself...

Bobby Brown is without doubt a ***hole but he didn't force her to take the drugs. This one is on her (if it is drug related).

Harsh but true.

RIP Whitney.

...if it hadn't been for Whitney Houston there more than likely wouldn't be any Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Rihanna, even earlier singers like Mariah Carey and Celine Dion.
    Possibly.
    In that case, the woman should have been tried for crimes against music when she was alive:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Was she one of your relatives?

Would not have expected this comment from yourself Dudess, usually you're so nice :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Well it's far from old, it's only early-stage middle age - but it's not young IMO. I'm nearly 34 and don't think I'm young. I'm youngish but not young.
    I wouldn't consider "not young" to be such a negative thing.

No- you are not youngish- you are young*.
    Really.I'm being nice ,not trying to pick a fight.

Seriously- I am 43 according to my birth cert- I feel so much younger, and look younger- and have more energy than a lot of people in their 20s and 30s.

Doesn't "young" look like it's misspelt?*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Sad event for her family of course and her fans. Never liked her particularly as a person having seen her interviewed and read about some of her diva antics, but no denying how much talent the woman had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Crack is whack yo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

This really shocked me....RIP Whitney.

The amount of animosity on this thread is shocking. She did drugs, that DOES NOT make her a bad person or selfish.

Does no-one here understand that drug abuse, far from being about hurting others and causing trouble, is about covering up some underlying issue that the user has.

Clearly she had some pain inside her that lead her down that road. She was not the first to use drugs in this nor will she be the last and she should not be criticised for it.

I feel only sympathy for her tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bob Marley is highly regarded and he only made about 5 good songs.

Lol.
    Five songs you may have heard of.

What's your favourite beatles album?.......... The best of the Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Was never a fan of Whitney Houston or her music. But despite her fame and fortune I know she was a troubled soul, especially considering her bastard of a husband. :( I always had a soft spot for "My Love is Your Love"; not sure why but I always liked that song.

RIP.

Me too. Couldn't give a stuff about most of her music, but My Love is your Love is one of those songs that is very much stand alone from all her music!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement