Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing files

Options
  • 12-02-2012 3:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum.

I'm studying computer science and am working in groups with other students. We're using Dropbox at the moment to share files. It seems that there is no way to make a folder read only to everyone else. Have I got this right? If so, does anyone have any alternatives? Anyone any experience with SugarSync?

Also, does anyone know what happens if two people have the same file open at the same time and make changes in Dropbox. Do you end up with two seperate files and have to start investigating the differences? Or is there a way to merge them. It would mainly be excel files at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Have you tried google docs? That would be my first port of call for collaborative work.

Don't know how dropbox deals with merging but I think I read somewhere that it can handle concurrent editing but wasn't specifiicaly designed around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Sounds like a good time to familiarise yourself with a source control system. There are many free SVN or GIT repositories available e.g Sourceforge. Or maybe your comp science society might have one or the ability to set one up.

If you are using an IDE this should make things easier as once you have the server setup, the IDE should handle most other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

The college has SkyDrive but it just doesn't have the funcionality of Dropbox. Dropbox would be perfect if you could make a folder read only.

I haven't tried google docs. It's really just my Netbeans projects I want as read only to everyone. I'm going to see if I can set permissions in that now.

Advertisement