Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So here we go.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Pints?

You wimp LOL

(reaches for his litre sized mug) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs8l7CdGO1Ncn9MN8WVEPEhwbOJD3C7eN4lnuAz7DMEMjHqsM0zu1r6Qoe

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Jesus, this is getting gladitorial ........ handbags cappucinos at dawn! The age of chivalry is alive and well. And all for the chance to hold the fair Dulcinea's golden virginia's hand. Back to back and walk 15 paces ......... turn and fire fling cups.

OldGoat wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs8l7CdGO1Ncn9MN8WVEPEhwbOJD3C7eN4lnuAz7DMEMjHqsM0zu1r6Qoe

WARNING:

I like my coffee made with milk and very strong. :D:D

Bhí Éire iontach. Bhí dúil mhór agam go léir.

(Any complaints tell Google Translate :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    Bhí Éire iontach. Bhí dúil mhór agam go léir.

(Any complaints tell Google Translate :) )

Ireland was amazing. I loved it all. (Ta-daa!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

oh, it gets better :pac:

I hope to get over to one of the track events in Anglesea this summer myself. Had a good spin around the island last time, very relaxing place .

YAY I said something you could understand. :)
    oh, it gets better :pac:

I hope to get over to one of the track events in Anglesea this summer myself. Had a good spin around the island last time, very relaxing place .

The track was redone just over a year ago, not been there since, but apparently it is excellent. The island is very scenic I admit. I am lucky to live here. Have a great trip and enjoy the amenities, (or lack of them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Rubecula, when are you going to tell us about your trip to Dublin?

policarp wrote: »
    Rubecula, when are you going to tell us about your trip to Dublin?

Not really much to tell.

I booked the trip through Stena, and turned up at Holyhead ready for the fast trip (90 mins) on the HSS. The Hss was in dock, and out of service, so the trip was on the slower ferry.

Parked my car and waited for the bus to take me from the car park to the terminal. It didn't turn up. So I walked, not that far. But far enough to tweak an old leg injury. Bugga.

Turned up. handed over my bag (complete with my meds inside) held out my hand for the bag and recieved a ticket. "Where is my bag?" "It is on it's way to the ferry. it is too big for hand luggage"

I looked around, there were folks with suitcases twice the size. "What?"

"Sorry it is the rules"

"But my meds are inside it."

"If you wait we will get it back and you can unpack your meds, may take a little time."

I decided I would be ok for the short trip. "Ok just leave it I can get it at the other side"

I then had to get on a bus which was a bit crowded and it took us to the ferry, actually drove straight onto the ferry. "This is novel" methinks.

Trip was uneventful, a bit rocky but not a bad trip, apart from slow.

Got to Dublin, got back on the bus, taken to the terminal. The carousel broke down and I had to struggle to get me bag back. Then onto a Morton's coach which dropped me off in Westmoreland Street. My hotel was in Cathal Brugha Street the other side of the river but a simple enough place to find.

I limped up O'Connell Street, leg really sore by this time, and booked in to the hotel. I ddecided to leave the research until the Tuesday as I was tired.

Tuesday I went to the Library in Pearse Street, got ripped off by the taxi driver who gave me a long trip around Dublin one way system and in the dim light of the early morning, managed to give me change in UK 10 pence pieces instead of Euros. So I was not impressed.

Library didn't open until 10 oclock either so I went around the shops (still limping) had a bit of breaky (I had already had a big breaky at the hotel so I was just getting a drink and stuff for in the library.)

Did a few years in the morning. Then at lunch time I went to the hotel and met the wonderful Golden Virginia. (Lovely lady and very attractive too) After lunch I set off for the bus to go back to the library. Watched the traffic, saw a nutter reverse into a school kid with his mum and nearly run the little lad over. The mother was a bit upset (of course) he dives out of the car and screams at her to watch where she wasgoing when she is standing still. ???? Anyway that was sorted out. Bus didn't turn up so I risked another taxi. The driver was very helpful and very nice. Gave me a card with his number on in case I needed any more taxi trips.

In the afternoon I got the details I had been researching for. But to read the actual records I needed to go to the GOR in the shopping centre. Unfortunately it was closed by then so I had to give it a miss.

I Settled for buying a couple of things to give to my friends when I got back. (tea towels and póg mo ***** stickers and the usual type of touristy things.)

Then decided that I would have a pint of beer.

Went to Madigan's and drank some guinness. (I usually drink Guinness anyway when I drink beer. Which is not often.)

Went back to the hotel and slept until I got up in the morning for the trip back, which was a complete reverse of the trip over.

By the way I am still limping.

And that is my trip. Not a lot happened, but for a couple of days I was happy as a pig in muck.

I need to find out what the records say in the GOR So that will have to wait until I can come back over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

So you never got to see St. Peters church records or your great great grandfathers grave. Pity. Sorry to hear about the sore leg but that happened on your side. We over here wouldn't hurt you, only rob you.
    Next time you're over try the sight seeing busses, they're far cheaper than the sight seeying taxis. Seriously though, next time you're over, I hope there will be a next time, and you want to use a taxi, take a photo of the taxi and make sure the driver sees you doing this, from the front and get the Reg. No. After the journey get a receipt. I hope You didn't give that first taxi driver a tip.
    All in all was it a worthwhile trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Alice1

Oh I'm sooo cross with that taxi driver Rube. Try ringing the Carriage Office - they take complaints like this very seriously. The telephone number is
    +353 1 666 4115. I hope it doesn't put you off coming here again.

Very sorry to hear about your sore leg - is it an old injury?

policarp wrote: »
    So you never got to see St. Peters church records or your great great grandfathers grave. Pity. Sorry to hear about the sore leg but that happened on your side. We over here wouldn't hurt you, only rob you.
    Next time you're over try the sight seeing busses, they're far cheaper than the sight seeying taxis. Seriously though, next time you're over, I hope there will be a next time, and you want to use a taxi, take a photo of the taxi and make sure the driver sees you doing this, from the front and get the Reg. No. After the journey get a receipt. I hope You didn't give that first taxi driver a tip.
    All in all was it a worthwhile trip?

Oh yes it was so worthwhile. I have been over a lot of times but this was the first time I had actually slept with my head on good Irish linen. Usually I come over on a the fast ferry and spend a few hours.Then come home.
    Alice1 wrote: »
    Oh I'm sooo cross with that taxi driver Rube. Try ringing the Carriage Office - they take complaints like this very seriously. The telephone number is
    +353 1 666 4115. I hope it doesn't put you off coming here again.

Very sorry to hear about your sore leg - is it an old injury?

No it won't put me off in the slightest, I have been over a lot of times. The very first time I was picked up by the Garda. just a mistake that scared the socks off me. BUT I kept coming back. I will keep coming back.

Yes the injury is an old one that flares up if I do something to irritate it. I have to remember to walk slowly or it strains it again. Had it for a few years now. No big deal.

Thank you both for your help and concerns. (((hug)))

Yes the injury is an old one that flares up if I do something to irritate it. I have to remember to walk slowly or it strains it again. Had it for a few years now. No big deal.

An old war wound no doubt. weren't you a spy during the Cold War? :cool:

An old war wound no doubt. Weren't you a spy during the Cold War? :cool:

An old war wound no doubt. Weren't you a spy during the Cold War? :cool:

Indeed it is an old war wound from my time with the Royal Crocodile Castrating Squadron, the squadron mascot (Big Lizzy from the bar at the Nags Head) escaped captivity and went on the rampage. She tore through a cordon of specially trained Lions that were deployed especially for such containment duties.

I was unfortunate enough to be in the path of her masticating mandible.

Only the selfless act of throwing itself between us by an escaped elephant saved me. (It sort of needed the help of a cattle prod up it's trunk to do that.)

Last thing I remember is Big Lizzy trampling armoured cars to scrap and screaming "Last Orders" while she rang a bell.

Of course I may just be making all this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Indeed it is an old war wound from my time with the Royal Crocodile Castrating Squadron, the squadron mascot (Big Lizzy from the bar at the Nags Head) escaped captivity and went on the rampage. She tore through a cordon of specially trained Lions that were deployed especially for such containment duties.

Only the selfless act of throwing itself between us by an escaped elephant saved me. (It sort of needed the help of a cattle prod up it's trunk to do that.)

Last thing I remember is Big Lizzy trampling armoured cars to scrap and screaming "Last Orders" while she rang a bell.

Can you ever NOT tell a good story...even your makey uppey ones are great...:D

Now I know who you are...........you're one of the (Monty) Pythons!! It's typical of their humour. It's...................................................!

Cicero wrote: »
    Can you ever NOT tell a good story...even your makey uppey ones are great...:D

Thank you for those kind words Oh Colonel of the Latverian Sappers. (Gnome Brigade) LOL :D
    Now I know who you are...........you're one of the (Monty) Pythons!! It's typical of their humour. It's...................................................!

I used to really like Monty Python. But I do have a warped sense of humour.

Advertisement