Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bacon ?

Options
  • 12-02-2012 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Lokking for help please:-

I have a 1.1Kg piece of bacon to cook for dinner this evening.

Was told to put it in a large saucepan and boil for 3 hrs, changing the water 2 or 3 times in the process.

Is this correct?

Any suggestions what I might serve with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

You are boiling it and discarding the water in order to get the salt out of it.

I would bring it to the boil and cook it for 20 minutes or so and then cut a tiny bit off it to taste it - if it is really salty then change the water and bring it back to the boil.

I think that three hours is way too long for a 1.1kg piece of meat. Personally, I'd give it something like an hour in the water.

I'd serve mashed potatoes, whatever vegetable you like, and parsley sauce.

Traditionally you serve it with cabbage and the cabbage is packed round the bacon for the last 15 mintues or so, depending on how cooked you like your cabbage and allowed to cook in the salty bacon water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I agree that 3 hours is too much for 1.1kg. It would probably have disintegrated by then,

Here is an alternative recipe for a small joint of ham or bacon.

Heat the oven to 170.
    Put some chopped onion, apple and carrot in the bottom of a casserole dish.
    Add a bay leaf, some ground black pepper and garlic cloves.

Put the bacon in, to sit on top of the veg.

Add a few inches of water( or white wine). The liquid does not have to cover the meat. The meat will cook in the steam.

Add a tightly fitted lid, or use tinfoil to make sure it it well sealed.

Put in the oven for 1.5 or 2 hours. Check that the liquid has not boiled off after an hour if you are concerned that it is not well sealed enough.

Advertisement