Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pod / Tripod is gone

Options
  • 12-02-2012 5:34am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

John Reynolds just told the staff in there that there is new owners and that the place is gone ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Whoa, that's pretty mental if it's true..

Still though, repeated stories in The Phoenix of dodgy tax dealings over the years...

Heart goes out to any of the staff in there who lost a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Definitely true, Emergence just posted this on facebook:

"Bye Bye POD. Some seriously good gigs over the last two years. thanks to all the staff who made our life easier. Axel bowman will be moving to the lost society next week and we will be announcing new venues for trainwreck, housewerk and provider soon"

Shame, had some really great nights in there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Where will all the clueless sunglasses wearing ravers go now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Wow, this is sad news :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's a shame. I have not been to the POD in years, and never liked TriPod much, but anyone old enough to remember the Original RedBox - I have so many fantastic memories there - it was my second home when I was in college.

So does anyone know any more about the background of how this happened? I wonder if anything will replace it or will it lie empty for years to come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

Hasta la vista Baby

I heard that it's been sold to Wrights and will be turned into a commercial 'super-club' type place :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

my office looks directly out at tripod and i wil be having a minute silence tomorow

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gigi_Glee

this is really sad.

crawdaddy is one of my favourite gig venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Some great memories from down the years but nothing lasts forever. Imo the Dublin clubbing scene is dying, this is just another piece of it gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

djhaxman wrote: »
    Some great memories from down the years but nothing lasts forever. Imo the Dublin clubbing scene is dying, this is just another piece of it gone.

Do we really still have one? Bar the odd night here or there clubbing is a joke imo. I am looking for "official sources" to say it is closed but the website says nothing, still listings for big djs etc as well.

Don't disbelieve it but just want to see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Jay D wrote: »
    Do we really still have one? Bar the odd night here or there clubbing is a joke imo. I am looking for "official sources" to say it is closed but the website says nothing, still listings for big djs etc as well.

Don't disbelieve it but just want to see.

Was there myself on Saturday , its 100% gone , office will stay there for another month after that, there out of there too.

I wonder will they be paying all there suppliers seems that it was not and has not gone under .

Ah. Had the pleasure of finally playing there in September, before that Digweed was the last gig I was at last Feb, which was a top night.

Has anyone got any links to stories? Google is not coming up good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Jay D wrote: »
    Ah. Had the pleasure of finally playing there in September, before that Digweed was the last gig I was at last Feb, which was a top night.

Has anyone got any links to stories? Google is not coming up good.

That was the last time I was there too. Been going to Red Box/Tripod since around '97, it wasn't the same after they closed Red Box and renovated it, but you are right, the clubbing scene in Dublin is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Surprised to see recently the South William is gone aswell. This city is a disaster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The New POD Dance page on FB

https://www.facebook.com/PODDance

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

It's a pity but hopefully will pave the way for something new and fresh. For me Dublin clubbing diet when the Temple of Sound shut it's doors. I have to plan trips away every few months to get my fix. A hard sell when you have a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

gsparx wrote: »
    Surprised to see recently the South William is gone aswell. This city is a disaster.

Bollox. The Dublin music scene in healthier now than it has been in years. Anyone who says differently doesn't go out enough, and if so, can't give out about the scene, because it's people that say a lot but don't actually support the clubs & shows that are causing the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Bollox. The Dublin music scene in healthier now than it has been in years. Anyone who says differently doesn't go out enough, and if so, can't give out about the scene, because it's people that say a lot but don't actually support the clubs & shows that are causing the problems.

I know some younger lads who go out clubbing regularly and they beg to differ, they say there is only a very few small select clubs worth going to and they said they prefer doing clubbing weekends in UK now,regardless of peoples opinions about Tripod/POD a club closing like that does say a lot about the scene right now, unfortunately the recession has had a detrimental effect on the club scene in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I know some younger lads who go out clubbing regularly and they beg to differ, they say there is only a very few small select clubs worth going to and they said they prefer doing clubbing weekends in UK now,regardless of peoples opinions about Tripod/POD a club closing like that does say a lot about the scene right now, unfortunately the recession has had a detrimental effect on the club scene in Ireland.

But even back in the day (BITD :cool: ) there were only a very small few worth considering, its definitely not about the quantity but the quality - although I don't get the pleasure myself, I've certainly noticed over the last while numerous nights I would have liked to have made it to, a scan over gigs over the last 12 months even would demonstrate the amount of quality nights around Dublin anyway.

But even back in the day (BITD :cool: ) there were only a very small few worth considering, its definitely not about the quantity but the quality - although I don't get the pleasure myself, I've certainly noticed over the last while numerous nights I would have liked to have made it to, a scan over gigs over the last 12 months even would demonstrate the amount of quality nights around Dublin anyway.

Have to disagree with you there mate BITD there was at any one time at least 10 clubs worth going to those being Sides DC, Ormond Multimedia Centre,The Asylum, Olympic Ballroom, Temple Of Sound, Waterfront, Red Box, The Shaft, The Kitchen, The Funnel agree though it's about the quality, was out clubbing in Dublin last night for the first time in ages 2 mates of mine were playing in the Kitchen, talk about a blast from the last i haven't been there since the last ever night it closed and it's good i like the new layout, i liked my mates set (upfront funky house) but couldn't be dealing with the DJ on afterwards (tech type house) so left but there was a decent crowd there all youngsters of course so that was good to see but i still believe the scene has declined in recent years.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Have to disagree with you there mate BITD there was at any one time at least 10 clubs worth going to those being Sides DC, Ormond Multimedia Centre,The Asylum, Olympic Ballroom, Temple Of Sound, Waterfront, Red Box, The Shaft, The Kitchen, The Funnel.

One thing i have noticed on bank holiday weekends there is always a superb amount of club nights on but in general i believe it's sadly in decline..

Yeah but even of that list there were only really 2 or 3 that were of interest to me and any of my mates or extended groups of mates for that matter - the Temple of Sound, UFO and the Kitchen to a lesser extent... I tended to prefer that my clubbing experience excluded the possibility of being shot or stabbed :pac: I was in the Shaft twice and hated it both times - you didn't mention the System, presumably on purpose as that was another sht venue. That said, techno was my preference then so the choices were not as varied.

Plus I don't think all the above were even open at the same time? - Surely that's a snapshot of clubs that existed from about 1989 to maybe the late 90s?

I don't know the clubs these days really but I do know a lot of the more recent names in DJing and producing and they seem to feature in Dublin often enough... also DJs that have been around quite a while still seem to appear in Dublin from time to time.

It would be good to see a list of the current clubs / club nights in Dublin these days to get a proper feel for it, I could trawl through the clubbing threads here I suppose but I'm lazy... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

It would be good to see a list of the current clubs / club nights in Dublin these days to get a proper feel for it, I could trawl through the clubbing threads here I suppose but I'm lazy... :p

Places where you'll find good stuff (at least every now and then), listing the individual clubnights would take too long... :

The Twisted Pepper
    The Bernard Shaw
    The Button Factory
    (when there's guests in)
    Kennedys (good few crews booking good guests there)
    The Lost Society (formerly Spy/Wax, sometimes good stuff there, albeit not my cup of tea)
    The Grand Social (getting increasingly popular for promoters these days, often good things on)
    King 7 (on Capel Street, never been, seems an odd place, but there's dubstep and d'n'b crews booking in good acts)
    The Academy (MCD's venue for dance music. Often questionable music, but each to their own)
    The Dark Horse (few people running early house stuff here)

I'm probably forgetting a few, but it shows that there's still loads going on.

Yeah but even of that list there were only really 2 or 3 that were of interest to me and any of my mates or extended groups of mates for that matter - the Temple of Sound, UFO and the Kitchen to a lesser extent... I tended to prefer that my clubbing experience excluded the possibility of being shot or stabbed :pac: I was in the Shaft twice and hated it both times - you didn't mention the System, presumably on purpose as that was another sht venue. That said, techno was my preference then so the choices were not as varied.

Plus I don't think all the above were even open at the same time? - Surely that's a snapshot of clubs that existed from about 1989 to maybe the late 90s?

I don't know the clubs these days really but I do know a lot of the more recent names in DJing and producing and they seem to feature in Dublin often enough... also DJs that have been around quite a while still seem to appear in Dublin from time to time.

I liked all those clubs and they were all very popular ,most of them were open in and around the same time, Sides DC and The Ormond Multimedia Centre were my total favourites though, i didn't mention the System or The Temple Theatre but again i had some great nights in both those clubs although they weren't as good as the other clubs i mentioned,there are a couple of other clubs i didn't mention either that would be worthy of an entry, the Shaft was deadly anytime i went which wasn't a lot as i was too busy going to Sides, as you said you were just a Techno head whereas with me i was into it all across the board but House and Hardcore would have been my favourite genres.

:)

Places where you'll find good stuff (at least every now and then), listing the individual clubnights would take too long... :

The Twisted Pepper
    The Bernard Shaw
    The Button Factory
    (when there's guests in)
    Kennedys (good few crews booking good guests there)
    The Lost Society (formerly Spy/Wax, sometimes good stuff there, albeit not my cup of tea)
    The Grand Social (getting increasingly popular for promoters these days, often good things on)
    King 7 (on Capel Street, never been, seems an odd place, but there's dubstep and d'n'b crews booking in good acts)
    The Academy (MCD's venue for dance music. Often questionable music, but each to their own)
    The Dark Horse (few people running early house stuff here)

I'm probably forgetting a few, but it shows that there's still loads going on.

I notice you haven't mentioned the Kitchen, was there last night 2 mates of mine 2funk'd were on first and played a great set but i wasn't into the other DJ Ronan O but there was a good crowd and atmosphere there and i see Mark Knight is booked for next Saturday so that would be a big night.

I wasn't talking about the "scene". I was referring to the fact that the city is really struggling with the recession. Businesses all over are barely getting by and I'm sure there will be more closures.
    I go out fairly regularly and the other reason I think this city is a disaster is that if I'm going for a night out I'd like to have the option of not being sent home to bed at 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I know some younger lads who go out clubbing regularly and they beg to differ, they say there is only a very few small select clubs worth going to and they said they prefer doing clubbing weekends in UK now

Are they oldskool devotees or something similarly misguided? If they listened to anything decent they would find there's plenty of places to go.
    regardless of peoples opinions about Tripod/POD a club closing like that does say a lot about the scene right now, unfortunately the recession has had a detrimental effect on the club scene in Ireland.

It was a club with cynical door policies and crappy marketing tricks on behalf of its promoters (getting bedroom djs playing in exchange for getting 30 people in the door!?!). How many people here had been to it in the recent past? It had turned into a sh¡thole and its death says nothing about the 'scene' imo.

• Advertisement

It was a club with cynical door policies and crappy marketing tricks on behalf of its promoters (getting bedroom djs playing in exchange for getting 30 people in the door!?!). How many people here had been to it in the recent past? It had turned into a sh¡thole and its death says nothing about the 'scene' imo.

That door policy was thankfully abandoned when the recession hit (I know it shouldn't take a recession to get rid of a door policy which should never have existed in the first place though). And just off the top of my head, Max Cooper, Sebo K, Chymera, Kink, Skudge, Pan-Pot and Oliver Huntemann are all gigs I've been to in POD over the past while and I enjoyed every one of them. Hardly bedroom DJs playing to 30 people...

Advertisement