Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pod / Tripod is gone

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Jello wrote: »
    Hardly bedroom DJs playing to 30 people...

I was talking about 515 tripod getting unknow bedroom djs to play in exchange for getting 30 people onto the cheaplist. There was a whole debate here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055961661

Also, anyone I knew who went to Skudge (after awaiting the day like a Techno Christmas) had a horrendous time.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

It was a great space. It had some issues for sure but when all 3 areas were open (Tripod, Crawdady, POD) coupled with a great smoking area it was a spot that would stand up in any city.
    I was in the POD just before Christmas and it was great.
    I don't think the Tripod has had regular dj nights for a long time.
    I have a bit more sympathy for them now with the whole "bring your mates and get a gig" thing. It was obviously a final (albeit pathetic) attempt at keeping the place going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Just a small point about entrance charges; The POD/Tripod/whatever was a rip-off. They were regularly charging +€20. The last time I was there was to see Digweed (who was muck btw) and it cost €25. Orbital were €50.

I don't go out a huge amount, but any gigs I've been to have been ~€10. And with cheaplists these days you can go to gigs for as little as €6 (Addison Groove and someone else, can't remember who though - maybe Oneman?).... €8 is a regular price you'd expect to pay in to TP. On Friday I got in to see two deadly DJ's (Lando Kal & Objekt) play for €12. That's great value.

Also, with regards to the 'scene' being dead I'm not sure I'd agree. Almost every week there's a good gig on. Just check out the Bodytonic site, or SubjectDublin and you'll see for yourself. There are some promoters out there doing great work and booking quality acts. Dance music just isn't as popular these days, it's just not 'new' like it was at the start of the 90's or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

sad to see its gone, hopefully something better opens in the venue.

yeh, real sad for the staff, especially them robbin kunts that stole an ipod from my jacket pocket, and the helpful w4nkers on the door that wouldnt let me go back up to 'talk' to the cloakroom staff.

or the helpful people in the office when i rang the following day that said theres nothing they can do. fookin thiefs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

ianuss wrote: »
    Dance music just isn't as popular these days, it's just not 'new' like it was at the start of the 90's or whatever.

Ah, yadda, yadda bitd yadda yadda, kids today yadda, yadda useless yadda, yadda Sides yadda, yadda 93 yadda, yadda :cool::P:confused::eek::(:mad::):rolleyes::o:p;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there mate BITD there was at any one time at least 10 clubs worth going to those being Sides DC, Ormond Multimedia Centre,The Asylum, Olympic Ballroom, Temple Of Sound, Waterfront, Red Box, The Shaft, The Kitchen, The Funnel
    Plus I don't think all the above were even open at the same time? - Surely that's a snapshot of clubs that existed from about 1989 to maybe the late 90s?
    Agreed there - all those clubs were definitely not open at the same time

Having been around then (well from 94 onwards) and now - I don't think there's any less of a scene now than there was then. Changed, yes of course - but everything changes, and if you're stuck in the past looking for the same experience you won't find it.

From electrogrimey's list, also add The Vaults, Mercantile, Turks Head, The Mezz.... there's plenty of places in town that put on 'dance' gigs/nights

Add on the ad-hoc warehouse / after parties, and I'd say there is still a vibrant club scene. Of course it's overshadowed by the likes of Coppers - but all the better keeping the dickwads out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

ianuss wrote: »
    Just a small point about entrance charges; The POD/Tripod/whatever was a rip-off. They were regularly charging +€20. The last time I was there was to see Digweed (who was muck btw) and it cost €25. Orbital were €50.

I don't go out a huge amount, but any gigs I've been to have been ~€10. And with cheaplists these days you can go to gigs for as little as €6 (Addison Groove and someone else, can't remember who though - maybe Oneman?).... €8 is a regular price you'd expect to pay in to TP. On Friday I got in to see two deadly DJ's (Lando Kal & Objekt) play for €12. That's great value.

Also, with regards to the 'scene' being dead I'm not sure I'd agree. Almost every week there's a good gig on. Just check out the Bodytonic site, or SubjectDublin and you'll see for yourself. There are some promoters out there doing great work and booking quality acts. Dance music just isn't as popular these days, it's just not 'new' like it was at the start of the 90's or whatever.

I agree with you there it doesn't seem to be as popular for sure,it will never die but it's popularity has waned over the years, sure i agree there are some good club nights on but everyone is into different genres and it has become too fragmented but you have to give respect for those promoters (who don't charge rip off prices) and of course the clubbers still out and about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Anyone know if its going to reopen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

gsparx wrote: »
    if I'm going for a night out I'd like to have the option of not being sent home to bed at 3am.

Just reading this thread now, this point is the main problem with clubbing in Dublin.

Until this is sorted Dublin will never compete with the UK cities for clubbing. It's fcuking ridiculous! Was down in London for the weekend a few weeks ago and went into Fabric at 12 and came out at 12 the next day! 2-3 hour sets is ****ing sh1te and would put me off moving back there!

Advertisement