Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan or Monaghan ?

• 12-02-2012 6:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

I have never been to either town. (To my shame):(

So I plan to make up for that soon. Myself and Lady Lapin have a free few days around the end of March and plan to spend it in one of the above.

Sell it.

Give us three good reasons why we should stay in your town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Have you tried posting in the Monaghan forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Have you tried posting in the Monaghan forum?

:rolleyes: this tread is off to a good start!

Having done hotels in both staying in the Kylemore, Cavan is the best hotel for rooms, food etc.

Monaghan has a far better shopping selection though......

Eh..... You could do a night in both...only 40 mins apart....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

go to Cootehill,

3 reasons
    (1) only 16 miles from both Cavan and Monaghan!
    (2) as a tourist you will be a rarity and therefore treated like royalty
    (3) .....eh... only 16 miles from both Cavan and Monaghan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The Radisson in Cavan is a great hotel with one of the best spa facilities going if that is your or her thing - but it's not really practical if you don't drive. I would much prefer it to the Kilmore Hotel.

You could see if you could get a reservation at McNean's Bistro (Neven Maguire's place) - don't even think about Friday or Saturday night in March though at this stage. You could even stay there for the night and enjoy a great breakfast. And it's very close to Enniskillen (in which the main attraction is its ASDA supermarket - one of the busiest they have)

Lots of nice scenery in Cavan, again if you like driving - 365 lakes allegedly, nice drives, fishing, golf - the cross country drive to Blacklion is pleasant on a nice day (although the roads are not!)

I wouldn't really advise hoteling in Cootehill - not even sure if there is a hotel in the town these days anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Reason number 1 Its not monaghan :P

Ah no really I'd say for cavan it's scenery and lakes really are unbeatable
    Ive never really had reason to stay in the hotels but I know the hotel kilmore does really good food and has super comfy beds
    you can do hovercrafting up near ballyconnell I think
    There are a lot of Irish pubs....but I'm sure monaghan has them too

If ya delay till august you can come see the fleadh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

Im a sales rep and travel between both counties quite a bit and tend to take in whats around me . Although i live in Cavan i have to admit it has a lot more going on in it plus all the towns are far closer than say carrickmacross to monaghan town or clones etc, if you plan on getting a cab after a pint . Great food in the seven horseshoes in Belturbet which is approx 10 mins from ballyconnell (slieve russell) and Cavan town or as a previous poster said Hovercrafting in Ballyconnell www.odd.ie .

Advertisement