Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social housing for non-EU nationals queried

• 12-02-2012 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Well what do you think of this ?.

I could never understand why the past and current government gave houses to non E.U nationals, sure brazil is not in the E.U as we all know unless you were living under a meteorite crater, and houses for all while there are thousands of people here living on the streets of Ireland.

Source: http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/provision-of-social-housing-for-noneu-nationals-queried-3004444.html
    Tuesday January 31 2012 I haven't seen it posted here or any comments to it even though it's 12 days old.

A REPORT that reveals 70 different nationalities on Fingal's social housing lists has led one councillor to question why the local authority offers housing support to non-EU citizens.
    Fine Gael Councillor Kieran Dennison has raised questions about Ireland's social housing policy after it was revealed that Fingal County Council were housing up to 70 different nationalities, many from outside the EU. Cllr. Dennison said: 'It was only when I was elected to the council that I realised we were housing people from all over the world. 'I can understand our obligation to provide for EU citizens who have been working here but I do question why we are providing social housing for the rest of the world.'
    The councillor said that this year Fingal will spend €40m maintaining its 4,465 social housing units and administering a growing waiting list that now stand at 8,572. More than half those on the list are from outside Ireland with non-eu nationals accounting for 26 per cent of the total.
    Despite efforts to reduce the list through various leasing schemes and voluntary housing initiatives, the housing list has grown by 26 per cent over the last two years, according to the Fine Gael councillor. With no new houses being built, local authorities are relying on the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) in which units are leased from private landlords and then rented to those on the housing list. Since its inception in 2006, over 700 units have been leased in Fingal but the uptake by landlords has been slower than expected.
    Suggesting too much is spent on rent supplement, Cllr. Dennison said: ' This (the low uptake of RAS) is because landlords can get higher rents from tenants on rent supplement than from a local authority that will drive a harder bargain under the RAS scheme. 'Figures provided to me by the HSE last year revealed that over €520m was spent nationally on rent supplement, accounting for half of all residential rents in Ireland. 'Recent changes announced by the Minister for Social protection, Joan Burton will cut this by €22m or a mere five per cent.'

More than half those on the list are from outside Ireland with non-eu nationals accounting for 26 per cent of the total.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

zenno wrote: »
    Well what do you think of this ?

Badly written one-sided article appealing to the rabble rabble/im not racist but/tis a disgrace joe brigade. In short -move along not much to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Badly written article appealing to the rabble rabble/im not racist but/tis a disgrace joe brigade. In short -move along not much to see here.

Actually - it's a valid question.
    The OP didn't write the article, so doesn't matter how badly written it is.
    The question remains - should Ireland be providing social housing for no-EU citizens?
    My opinion is that all people should be provided with a basic dwelling, there should never be a case of a person living on the streets no mater what nationality or immigration status. However, how does the priority list work. How does a person from Brazil say get a social house over a person on a waiting list living in an overcrowded situation with their mother on Cappagh Road for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Badly written one-sided article appealing to the rabble rabble/im not racist but/tis a disgrace joe brigade. In short -move along not much to see here.

Typical under the cover comment with nothing constructive to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The idea with social housing is to provide it for legally resident people - irrespective of nationality - on the basis of need. Fine Gael Councillor Kieran Dennison seems to overlook the fact that we are living in a globalised world and I suspect he is only trying to curry favour with the xenophobic envy-monger lobby.:)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't at the same time one of the Blueshirt reactionary Catholic wing who, led by Lucy Cretin, are demanding that we continue to spend millions on an embassy in that comic-opera (and non-EU) statelet the Vatican.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

stoneill wrote: »
    Actually - it's a valid question.
    The OP didn't write the article, so doesn't matter how badly written it is.
    ?

The OP posted an article and invited people to comment. It is therfore perfectly reasonable to point out that the rehashed press release article looks like the work of a five year old in the throes of heroin withdrawl.

stoneill wrote: »
    The question remains - should Ireland be providing social housing for no-EU citizens?

Ireland should be providing social housing for anyone resident in the state who requires it and were the level of provision to be adequete then priority wouldnt be much of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

With all the talk of fake asylum seekers it is forgotten that some non eu nationals coming here are in fact reconised refugees, some are what are called programe refugees that is people from say a refugee camp being relocated by the UN. Ireland signed up for the rights and responsibilities of the UN charter on refugees. When a person has a declaration of refugee status he or she is entitled to everything an Irish citizen is entitled to. In many cases they would go to the top of any housing list because of their personal circumstances.

A person awaiting refugees status, is usually housed in hostels in most cases a family per room, or 3 to 4 persons per room. Some are lucky depending on the quality of accommodation and get a single room. They are provide with 3 meals a day and €19 a week for personal expences.

Also the report seems to be talking about the waiting list, rather than persons actually housed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

Used to live in Fingal until last year in a private estate on the edge of a hell hole social housing estate. In our block of 8 apartments we were all owner occupiers paying hefty mortgages with the exception of one apartment which was being let out. Sudanese family moved in to our block of apartments about 3years earlier.
    The man of the Sudanese family never worked during that time, couldn't speak a word of English with no intention of learning how, watched Sudanese TV via satellite while the rest of us were dragging ourselves out of bed every day to go to work. Anyhow, time passes and one day a van comes and moves them out. It turns out the County council have given them a house in another part of Fingal while we all still remain anchored to our mortgages. They'd given them a proper house with a garden. That was a luxury we couldn't even hope to aspire to and myself and my neighbours were left quizzical as to what was the point of even trying to provide for oneself when Fingal co. co. are so generous to others.
    Frankly I have no idea how they managed to get from Sudan to Ireland because there are no direct flights, If they were claiming refugee status they should have claimed this in the European country they passed through to get to the promised land that is Ireland.
    Social housing policy in Fingal is a joke.
    Tyrrellstown in Fingal is more Nigerian than Irish with the numbers of Houses that Fingal have bought or rented up there.
    Simultaneously while dealing the anti-social behaviour overspilling out from social housing estates in Fingal, working people see those who chose not to work or contribute to society being given better accommodation that they can afford for themselves.
    I gave up on Ireland as a country because of this and the banker bailouts and move to Germany. I sold up and I took my job with me. They can pursue what ever misguided social housing policy they like but I for one will not pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• what a lovely article. Yet another ball bounced for the racist mobs to pick up and run with.
    • OP, have you ever stopped to think how your ancestors’ i.e. refugees must have felt when they fled on coffin ships looking to start a new life.
    • Make up your mind, you don't want to house non EU nationals but it would appear you worry about the thousands of people living on our streets that might get housed.
    I remember when we had a small amount of Bosnians moving to Ireland and all we heard was 'all the Bosnians are getting the houses'. I have yet to meet one.

OP, Just have a look at the amount of foreign families who have had bricks thrown to their windows and much much worse, and then ask yourself by perpetrating shameful rhetoric like this, if you sir, have blood on your hands?

Eleganza wrote: »
    I gave up on Ireland as a country because of this and the banker bailouts and move to Germany.

Right place wrong time !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Chinasea wrote: »
    • what a lovely article. Yet another ball bounced for the racist mobs to pick up and run with.
    • OP, have you ever stopped to think how your ancestors’ i.e. refugees must have felt when they fled on coffin ships looking to start a new life.
    • Make up your mind, you don't want to house non EU nationals but it would appear you worry about the thousands of people living on our streets that might get housed.
    I remember when we had a small amount of Bosnians moving to Ireland and all we heard was 'all the Bosnians are getting the houses'. I have yet to meet one.

OP, Just have a look at the amount of foreign families who have had bricks thrown to their windows and much much worse, and then ask yourself by perpetrating shameful rhetoric like this, if you sir, have blood on your hands?

Please it's Sunday morning!! Your last sentence made me laugh. I'm having a roast chicken for dinner later, do I have blood on my hands?? For the love of god, please think of the chickens!!!

• Advertisement

Right place wrong time !

Right place, right time. It's a functioning cohesive society while Ireland is not where everyone is expected to pull their weight but treated fairly.

Used to live in Fingal until last year in a private estate on the edge of a hell hole social housing estate. In our block of 8 apartments we were all owner occupiers paying hefty mortgages with the exception of one apartment which was being let out. Sudanese family moved in to our block of apartments about 3years earlier.
    The man of the Sudanese family never worked during that time, couldn't speak a word of English with no intention of learning how, watched Sudanese TV via satellite while the rest of us were dragging ourselves out of bed every day to go to work. Anyhow, time passes and one day a van comes and moves them out. It turns out the County council have given them a house in another part of Fingal while we all still remain anchored to our mortgages. They'd given them a proper house with a garden. That was a luxury we couldn't even hope to aspire to and myself and my neighbours were left quizzical as to what was the point of even trying to provide for oneself when Fingal co. co. are so generous to others.
    Frankly I have no idea how they managed to get from Sudan to Ireland because there are no direct flights, If they were claiming refugee status they should have claimed this in the European country they passed through to get to the promised land that is Ireland.
    Tyrrellstown in Fingal is more Nigerian than Irish with the numbers of Houses that Fingal have bought or rented up there.
    Simultaneously while dealing the anti-social behaviour overspilling out from social housing estates in Fingal, working people see those who chose not to work or contribute to society being given better accommodation that they can afford for themselves.
    I gave up on Ireland as a country because of this and the banker bailouts and move to Germany. I sold up and I took my job with me. They can pursue what ever misguided social housing policy they like but I for one will not pay for it.

Did you ever think that Sedanese family never wanted to come to Ireland. From what little I know a number of the Sudanese in Ireland that are refugees are what are called UN programe refugees. That means in a camp in Arica a UN official decided to send a family to Ireland. Did you ever stop to think what that person went through if he was in fact one of those refugees. What horrors he and his family lived through and saw.

Is it right To want to force him and his family to learn English, when for him that will mean his dream of going home is over. Did you ever ask could anyone translate so you could have heard his story. His dreams of returning to his business or farm or job. The home they left, maybe it was burned, or stolen by the army. You see I don't know that family's story but it seems neither do you.

Some background reading.

http://www.unhcr.ie/news/irish-story/unhcrs-visit-to-kilkenny-to-meet-resettled-sudanese-refugees

did you ever stop to think that you are a bleeding heart that is being manipulated left, right and centre exploiting your psychological need to think yourself emphatic and decent than all others around you. Don't lecture me. I'm as able as the next to feel sympathy and compassion but I grew sick of being the schmoo that was paying for all the poor mouthers.
    And BTW I came to the rescue of that Sudanese man when he was about to be kicked in to the ground by the scum from the neighbouring social housing estate when he interuptted them breaking in to his car.
    You are no better a person than me; you are just misguided.

Is it right To want to force him and his family to learn English, when for him that will mean his dream of going home is over. Did you ever ask could anyone translate so you could have heard his story. His dreams of returning to his business or farm or job. The home they left, maybe it was burned, or stolen by the army. You see I don't know that family's story but it seems neither do you.

Some background reading.

http://www.unhcr.ie/news/irish-story/unhcrs-visit-to-kilkenny-to-meet-resettled-sudanese-refugees

I've learned German. I expect it of myself and it is expected of me by my hosts.
    His wife had learned english and I spoke to her regularly. He had no inclination to learn.

Jump to conclusions all you want. You are obviously an extremely prejudiced pompous ass and I'm out of this discussion.

mod: poster banned

prejudiced eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I've learned German --- I'm out of this discussion.

Gut, dass wir Dich los sind!:):):)

I've learned German. I expect it of myself and it is expected of me by my hosts.
    His wife had learned english and I spoke to her regularly. He had no inclination to learn.

Jump to conclusions all you want. You are obviously an extremely prejudiced pompous ass and I'm out of this discussion.

Where is my prejudices or where did I jump to conclusions, I said I did not know the family history, I said it may have been possible that this family was a programe refugee situation in response to your statement how did they get to Ireland, as there are no direct flights. If you spoke to the wife then you know how they got her as I assume you asked her.

You are the one who has all the info about the situation not me. I put forward one of many possible stories in relation to the family. If you want to react the way you are that's fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So were you forced to take on this mortgage then? Someone made you take it out at gunpoint?

No, you decided to yoke yourself to a no doubt ridiculous mortgage on the edge of some hellhole in Finglas. Nice decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Right place, right time. It's a functioning cohesive society while Ireland is not where everyone is expected to pull their weight but treated fairly.

Cohesive? You're joking? Some gems to prove it include Ruhr Gebiet, Duisburg, Mannheim, Koeln, Frankfurt, Magdeburg, Rostock, Halle, und und und und:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Don't care what nationality anyone is. The ACTUAL disgrace is that the Government is paying out this money in the first instance Rent supplement should be capped at a low rate. Landlords will be damn glad to take whatever's on offer.

The whole rent supplement scheme should be reviewed anyway. What is the point in giving €600 to an 18 year-old unmarried mother, when she could live at home with her parents? Must the State take responsibility for EVERYTHING?

• Advertisement

So were you forced to take on this mortgage then? Someone made you take it out at gunpoint?

No, you decided to yoke yourself to a no doubt ridiculous mortgage on the edge of some hellhole in Finglas. Nice decision making.

Lovely. I hope you're always this smug. The real poor in this country nowadays are the young families weighed down with a mortgage, not the SW freeloaders. Many not even from the EU, as has already been pointed out.

It's interesting that Councils can ret out houses in private estates anyway. If you want to open ashop, business, etc in a private estate you must obtain planning permission. Yet the Council can open lodging houses willy nilly, answerable to no-one. What a country.

Did you ever think that Sedanese family never wanted to come to Ireland. From what little I know a number of the Sudanese in Ireland that are refugees are what are called UN programe refugees. That means in a camp in Arica a UN official decided to send a family to Ireland. Did you ever stop to think what that person went through if he was in fact one of those refugees. What horrors he and his family lived through and saw.

Some background reading.

Hmm. Is there a contact number we can dial to verify the veracity of these people's 'stories'? Thought not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Freddie59 wrote: »

Lovely. I hope you're always this smug. The real poor in this country nowadays are the young families weighed down with a mortgage, not the SW freeloaders. Many not even from the EU, as has already been pointed out.

It's interesting that Councils can ret out houses in private estates anyway. If you want to open ashop, business, etc in a private estate you must obtain planning permission. Yet the Council can open lodging houses willy nilly, answerable to no-one. What a country.

They're right though. No one forced them to buy there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Smugness? He posted as if he had been forced to live on the edge of 'a hellhole social housing estate'. He wasn't, he was living there by choice.

They're right though. No one forced them to buy there

I wouldn't disagree. But these people paid a premium in the shape of a mortgage to live in a nice area, and were not burdening the state looking for a house. And are, in effect, discriminated against for doing so.

Smugness? He posted as if he had been forced to live on the edge of 'a hellhole social housing estate'. He wasn't, he was living there by choice.

Because he probably could afford nothing else. At least he was paying for it - unlike those poor Somalis....

Hmm. Is there a contact number we can dial to verify the veracity of these people's 'stories'? Thought not.

While there may not be a telephone number, if as I suspect the family in question are programe refugees then the truth of their story has been assessed in Sudan, by the United Nations.

If we are talking about Asylum claims in general, yes that is a different story, with about 10% of claims being upheld. Meaning that 90% of claims are not real claims for asylum. But in reality the Asylum issue is not really an issue anymore as claims have fallen from a peak of about 12000 a year to less than 2000 last year and still dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

With a lot of those new estates that popped up in the mid 2000's you would of had no idea how an estate would turn out. I've a friend that bought a house with his girlfriend in the Fingal back then. New estate and was grand at first. But a certain percentage of them were welfare housing or whatever it's called here. They must have took the biggest scum bag families from around and moved them in cause the place is now a kip. It wasn't a bad area beforehand. Just turned into one. Point being you can just have bad luck with some of those estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

what a lovely article. Yet another ball bounced for the racist mobs to pick up and run with. OP, Just have a look at the amount of foreign families who have had bricks thrown to their windows and much much worse, and then ask yourself by perpetrating shameful rhetoric like this, if you sir, have blood on your hands?
    The usual 2 responses from the opposition.
    "If you mention any negative aspects of immigration you are racist" and the attempt to vilify: "Are you a brick throwing nazi sympathiser?"

You guys just want to keep discussion censored, don't you understand by doing that you will only frustrate people more and this is what leads to stone throwing and sites like stormfront, because you want to censor discussion in open forums?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    The idea with social housing is to provide it for legally resident people - irrespective of nationality - on the basis of need. Fine Gael Councillor Kieran Dennison seems to overlook the fact that we are living in a globalised world and I suspect he is only trying to curry favour with the xenophobic envy-monger lobby.:)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't at the same time one of the Blueshirt reactionary Catholic wing who, led by Lucy Cretin, are demanding that we continue to spend millions on an embassy in that comic-opera (and non-EU) statelet the Vatican.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The councillor said that this year Fingal will spend €40m maintaining its 4,465 social housing units and administering a growing waiting list that now stand at 8,572. More than half those on the list are from outside Ireland with non-eu nationals accounting for 26 per cent of the total.

I am not familiar with waiting list policy, but for a very small minority who are non EU residents 26% is a huge percentage of the total waiting list, a percentage that makes you wonder how and reason something is not right.

So "if" 26% is a true figure the counselor has a right to ask that question without being loosely referred to or called a rabble rousing racist by your post. I am definately not a racist and I am asking the same question.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Its cause of apathetic twits like you that we have certains EU and non-EU nationalities absolutely milking the system instead of our taxes going to Irish people genuinely badly in need of welfare.

mod: poster banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What do other EU countries do?

I can't imagine Australia, New Zealand or USA offering the same.

We need to toughen up and look after this countries interest. And in particular not be so afraid of being labeled racist by the PC brigade. You are racist nowadays if you do anything other than offer the red carpet treatment to immigrants... or even question things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

biko wrote: »
    The usual 2 responses from the opposition.
    "If you mention any negative aspects of immigration you are racist" and the attempt to vilify: "Are you a brick throwing nazi sympathiser?"

You guys just want to keep discussion censored, don't you understand by doing that you will only frustrate people more and this is what leads to stone throwing and sites like stormfront, because you want to censor discussion in open forums?
    Excellent post, +++

The op and the counsellor in the article are merely posing a question and are instantly shot down and branded racists. This happens ALL THE FUKCING TIME ON BOARDS. Its pretty pathetic tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

what a lovely article. Yet another ball bounced for the racist mobs to pick up and run with.
    Every time one of these stories pops up, you're in there making wild accusations and tearing your hair out. Not from northern Ireland by any chance?
    OP, have you ever stopped to think how your ancestors’ i.e. refugees must have felt when they fled on coffin ships looking to start a new life.
    If they were on coffin ships they wouldn't be his ancestors, he'd be on boards.us complaining about Mexicans instead.
    Make up your mind, you don't want to house non EU nationals but it would appear you worry about the thousands of people living on our streets that might get housed.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking after your own citizenry first. In fact that's the basic duty of any representative government. As far as I'm aware there is no shortage of accommodation for the homeless in Ireland, those living on the streets do so for other reasons than a lack of housing.

What he seems to be complaining about is the prioritisation method being used to hand out more desireable housing, maybe there's a problem with that, I don't have enough information to say one way or the other.
    I don't. Bosnians? Are you even living in this country?
    OP, Just have a look at the amount of foreign families who have had bricks thrown to their windows
    What amount is that? Last time I checked Ireland had a pretty high and pretty sudden arrival of immigrants over the last ten years, and the most remarkable thing has been the almost complete lack of a racist backlash, unlike every single one of our European neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Most people on the Fingal housing list or realy any local authorty list around the country will not get a council flat or house or be waiting years.

But if you want to apply for rent allowance you have to put yourself on the housing list.
    So the lists are sky high but that doesn't mean new builds are needed for all of them.
    And since you can reject offers some tenants on the list would prefer to stay where they are and reject the council properties.

All the while, hundreds of millions are being handed over to landlords

RAS is a good idea and gives stability and if landlords are not going to sign up well just cut rent allowance again for some more incentive.

The rest of Fingal does not want to end up like lego land Balbriggan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

"I could never understand why the past and current government gave houses to non E.U nationals, sure brazil is not in the E.U as we all know unless you were living under a meteorite crater, and houses for all while there are thousands of people here living on the streets of Ireland."

Dont know why Brazil was mentioned. Brazilian people get feck all from the government. Being brazilian i can assure you of that. That's why most of us in ireland work gladly for minimum wage. The brazilians on housing lists(if there are any) are for sure parents of european/irish children and by that I mean one of the parents MUST be irish/european, if its a brazilian couple they still get feck all from social welfare and if they still want to stay here they work full time for minimum wage both parents alternating shifts at work and looking after children no excuse not to work. But that's how it is in brazil: you breed them you look after them. Nobody in brazil thinks the government has to look after their children. In fact unemployed and single parents in brazil would give up their thumbs to have "the good life" irish people in the same situation have on welfare. AND YES, IT IS A GOOD LIFE COMPARED TO THE LIFE UNEMPLOYED AND SINGLE PARENTS HAVE IN BRAZIL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The biggest mistake we have made as a nation was to admit non EU nationals into our country. Imagine people comming here from Brazil - the fifth largest country in the world with unknown and limitless natural resources and mineral wealth. We have screwed up big time and will pay the price!

With a lot of those new estates that popped up in the mid 2000's you would of had no idea how an estate would turn out. I've a friend that bought a house with his girlfriend in the Fingal back then. New estate and was grand at first. But a certain percentage of them were welfare housing or whatever it's called here. They must have took the biggest scum bag families from around and moved them in cause the place is now a kip. It wasn't a bad area beforehand. Just turned into one. Point being you can just have bad luck with some of those estates.

Again this should not have been allowed to happen. People paid a premium for a bit of peace and quiet and ended up in a nightmare because of mindless bureaucrats in City Councils, looking after "disadvantaged" and "deprived" families. The mind truly boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Clareboy wrote: »
    The biggest mistake we have made as a nation was to admit non EU nationals into our country.

What about refugees?

Do you think they should be turned away?

Should go to the nearest safe country

If you're from North Africa, well then that's probably Italy or maybe Spain
    The old colonial powers may have a duty to some of their former colonies

How did they end up on a small island in the Atlantic Ocean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

While there may not be a telephone number, if as I suspect the family in question are programe refugees then the truth of their story has been assessed in Sudan, by the United Nations.

If we are talking about Asylum claims in general, yes that is a different story, with about 10% of claims being upheld. Meaning that 90% of claims are not real claims for asylum. But in reality the Asylum issue is not really an issue anymore as claims have fallen from a peak of about 12000 a year to less than 2000 last year and still dropping.

funny how the claims for asylum have declined at par with our economic fortune - has the world suddenly gotten safer and has less refugees ?

not on your life - less are coming becasue of our poor economic outlook , so you would have to make the assumption the most were chancers going to a richer county looking for a hand out - lets face it if you were a refugee in sudan and you had a chance to get out and go to a European nation , you would not care what nation it was , becasue ANY is better than sudan
    but yet less are coming

this fact alone speaks volumes to me about our asylum process and the asylum process world wide

90% fail rate - how long were the 90% fed and housed before being asked to leave ? if they could be found - total waste of resources

and leaves a shadow over the reaming 10%

debating immigration policey does not make you rascist
    being a rascist makes you a rascist - big big difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fine Gael Councillor Kieran Dennison has raised questions about Ireland's social housing policy after it was revealed that Fingal County Council were housing up to 70 different nationalities, many from outside the EU. Cllr. Dennison said: 'It was only when I was elected to the council that I realised we were housing people from all over the world. 'I can understand our obligation to provide for EU citizens who have been working here but I do question why we are providing social housing for the rest of the world.'

'...because they're entitled to it' is your answer. Of course rather than raise specific questions about specific policies and risk getting an answer, its far safer to do the oul rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Clareboy wrote: »
    The biggest mistake we have made as a nation was to admit non EU nationals into our country. Imagine people comming here from Brazil - the fifth largest country in the world with unknown and limitless natural resources and mineral wealth. We have screwed up big time and will pay the price!

Thats a bit extreme. But i think we should only allow a limited number of people in from any non EU country. Let small numbers in so they can integrate well. We don't want to end up like some English midland city like Bradford. With entire sections of the city like a foreign country.

raised questions about Ireland's social housing policy
    Nodin wrote: »
    Of course rather than raise specific questions about specific policies and risk getting an answer, its far safer to do the oul rabble rabble.

He was asking specific questions. He had the figures and percentages

Looks specific to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

The reason there are so many non EU nationals on the waiting lists and availing of council houses etc is mostly down to residency granted on the basis of Irish born children to former asylum seekers. They have a legal right to be here. Whether we like it or not. The word refugee is bandied about alot. Real refugees very rarely get to escape to Europe from their place of persecution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Again this should not have been allowed to happen. People paid a premium for a bit of peace and quiet and ended up in a nightmare because of mindless bureaucrats in City Councils, looking after "disadvantaged" and "deprived" families. The mind truly boggles.

Yes, it does boggle - at the utter tripe you're coming out with, that is.

If they wanted to live away from the "riff-raff" they should have bought up the surrounding lands. They paid for the house, not for the privelege of saying who gets to live next to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He was asking specific questions. He had the figures and percentages

Looks specific to me

Not at all. There are grounds for non-EU nationals to be on housing lists. Did he question those grounds specifically? He did in his arse. You can't just jump off a plane and ask for a gaff.

IRISH PEOPLE SURE ARE FUNNY!! I wonder what you'd say if Australia or America decided its worst mistake was to let IRISH PEOPLE IN!!! Sure you wouldnt be happy would you, if the prejudice against irish people were to come back full force now that you're a BROKE COUNTRY!!! Not a long time ago pubs in america had signs that said: NO DOGS NO IRISH.
    GET A GRIP IRISH PEOPLE ARE IMMIGRANTS JUST AS BRAZILIAN PEOPLE ARE!!!!
    But i dont begrudge. If you ever need a visa to work in brazil i hope you get one. :pac:

Nodin wrote: »
    Not at all. There are grounds for non-EU nationals to be on housing lists. Did he question those grounds specifically?

To answer that question you'll need the minutes and records of the council meetings and that's not something I'm going looking for
    Not a long time ago pubs in america had signs that said: NO DOGS NO IRISH.

I'd love to see a link to that, have you got one?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement