Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing trainers while out.

• 12-02-2012 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

I am of that generation who use to get refused entry into a nightclub or some pubs for wearing trainers. But recently while out I noticed most the guys where wearing trainers.

I don't like wearing leather shoes, I just don't find them as comfortable as trainers, So I ask is wearing trainers while out become a norm? have you in recent times ever been refused entry because you where wearing trainers?

Comments

Ah I remember the days when the boys used to put their socks over their runners to get into a club if it had been a last minute decision to go dancing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I was refused entry to a club on holidays for wearing tattered tracksuit bottoms and runners. There was fuck all people in it at the time as well.

So off I went to snort a line of €15 cocaina for a half gram. Worked out well in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

44leto wrote: »
    So I ask is wearing trainers while out become a norm?

What a strange question !

The only footwear for whose suitability for regular outdoor use might be called into question would be slippers.

Even then that wouldnt be regarded as a given in some areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A good few places will let you in wearing styles like retro adidas or Converse, but Nike Air Max or Hi-Tec crap for actually running in are a no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ah I remember the days when the boys used to put their socks over their runners to get into a club if it had been a last minute decision to go dancing :pac:

Did that ever work? Wouldn't the bouncers refuse to let someone in who was wearing socks over their trainers or were they blind? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A good few places will let you in wearing styles like retro adidas or Converse, but Nike Air Max or Hi-Tec crap for actually running in are a no-no.

this is pretty much your answer OP, especially for Dublin. I'm always a bit weary or door policy when in other places - some place in Navan is a recent example. I would expand on Zebra3's "a good few places" by stating that in the last ~8 years I've been places in Dublin of all shapes and sizes and whichever pair of retro adidas I've had a the time have never given myself or a doorman a moments consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Yea the socks one worked once for a friend of mine. The doorman didn't really look because his feet weren't white it didn't draw his eye to them. I never understood it as a reason to refuse personally especially if they are a good pair of trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

i only have nike air max and ive never been refused anywhere with them on, i dont rock up in a pair of track suit bottoms and a ben sherman shirt mind you, im not a knacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I always thought it was just an excuse bouncers use to turn away knicks and scobes.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Did that ever work? Wouldn't the bouncers refuse to let someone in who was wearing socks over their trainers or were they blind? :p

always worked! As long as they were wearing black socks :D

Bouncers never even checked, was only if they actually saw the runners that they'd refuse entry. Ah slaparrazi, what a kip you were but there were some fun memories had :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Runners dude, runners :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Runners and tracksuits must only be worn while training for sports and exercising! Otherwise you're a scumbag!

Also, if you wear a trucker hat without driving a truck, you're a junkie, and if you wear jeans without corralling cows or mining, you're a murderer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Its kind of ironic, because I am into training I buy the best and they are usually a lot more expensive then my shoes, well and way past the 100 mark, some are very stylish as well.

Its just if you are use to wearing trainers shoes become very uncomfortable no matter what you do to them or what you pay for them.

I think the shoe class thing belongs to another era. Now here i will admit I have done door work yonks ago and I have refused people entry because of trainers, it was just door policy and I genuinely said and meant if you come back with shoes on, your wellcome, but you should know better yadda yadda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When are places going to start refusing people for having ironic moustaches that's what I want to know.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    When are places going to start refusing people for having ironic moustaches that's what I want to know.

Soon i hope:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

A girl doesn't have to be a trainer for me to wear her while out, I'll kiss exercisers and non-exercisers alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The way the prospects for the economy are, you'd think pubs and clubs would be glad to get eejits to come in and buy their overpriced products and services. They could be really fussy during the Celtic Tiger era, but now in the straitened times of the Mangy Pussy, they soon won't mind if customers turn up in dung-caked wellies.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Oooooo trainers. you posh git :pac:

Runners trout, runners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dude try decent leather shoes and you'll find there very comfortable, runners (trainers) are for running in.
    Reminds we of when the pope opened the gym in tallaght,"i declare this gym and sports hall open" "no papa it's a shopping center" "well if its a shopping center, why are they wearing tracksuits"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

ted1 wrote: »
    Dude try decent leather shoes and you'll find there very comfortable, runners (trainers) are for running in.
    Reminds we of when the pope opened the gym in tallaght,"i declare this gym and sports hall open" "no papa it's a shopping center" "well if its a shopping center, why are they wearing tracksuits"

That post was so bad I kinda laughed, I'll put it down to my half drunken state!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

I am of that generation who use to get refused entry into a nightclub or some pubs for wearing trainers. But recently while out I noticed most the guys where wearing trainers.

I don't like wearing leather shoes, I just don't find them as comfortable as trainers, So I ask is wearing trainers while out become a norm? have you in recent times ever been refused entry because you where wearing trainers?

Some of the best pubs in dublin dont have bouncers on the door especially the old style irish pubs in the city. plenty of times a good night i have had in these places without the need to move on. Some of these places also have a late night license.

I would choose these types of pubs over the new type designer pubs. You cant beat an old style irish pub.

If this is an issue for you why dont you just buy black trainers. Look just like shoes. Otherwise just wear the socks over the trainers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

You would be over dressed if you wore shoes in a lot of nightclubs these days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Modern shoes are **** and are not designed for walking or standing in for a long time. They are designed to be worn while you sit at a desk somewhere.

A nice pair of runners, well fitted, are super comfortable. I never wear shoes out because I can't remember the last time I was at a club that gave a ****.

The places i go you'd get laughed at in shoes and a shirt, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Always wear leather shoes, never liked runners/trainers they're not near as comfortable as a good shoe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    What a strange question !

The only footwear for whose suitability for regular outdoor use might be called into question would be slippers.

Even then that wouldnt be regarded as a given in some areas.

Well to be fair to the OP he did say "I am of that generation" . . .

I would also be of 'that generation' where if you turned up at a club in trainers the doorman would turn you away, shoes always had to be "proper shoes" no trainers allowed! (Dublin 1980s). I guess nowadays you can wear anything to a Club, including trainers? (runners in old speak) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't like wearing leather shoes, I just don't find them as comfortable as trainers
    I agree but this is a small issue compared to things girls go through to look nice to you. Besides, if you get a really good pair of men's shoes you'll stand apart from the rest, they will be every bit a comfortable and also last years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

biko wrote: »
    I agree but this is a small issue compared to things girls go through to look nice to you. Besides, if you get a really good pair of men's shoes you'll stand apart from the rest, they will be every bit a comfortable and also last years.

Dodgy territory here. Some shoes fellas wear are just horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    //Temp covers face with hand. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

In some clubs you'd stand out from the rest not because you're better dressed but because you'd look out of place.

Its kind of ironic, because I am into training I buy the best and they are usually a lot more expensive then my shoes, well and way past the 100 mark, some are very stylish as well.
    Any links to images of them? I can't imagine any running shoes (if that's what you're referring to) going well with jeans.

I always wear runners out to a club and I've never been refused from any club in Dublin. Got turn ed back from a few clubs in Cork for my choice of footwear, which I thought was very 1980s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Runners and tracksuits must only be worn while training for sports and exercising! Otherwise you're a scumbag!

Also, if you wear a trucker hat without driving a truck, you're a junkie, and if you wear jeans without corralling cows or mining, you're a murderer!

trainers + jeans + tracksuit top + trucker hat = ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The horror...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I hardly ever wear leather shoes unless I'm wearing a suit or something. Vans, Converse, etc and you will be fine. Nike Air Max/TN or any other kind of runner that has a bubble in it and you more than likely will be refused.

I actually looked at the date when I clicked into this, thinking this was a thread that had come back from the dead.

But, no.

This topic however, is so old.

Jaysus that is a fact, its as if the fashion industry has reintroduced foot binding. Why don't women just wear comfortable shoes?

I actually have an expensive Italian designed shoes stylish, fitted and years old, but even it I put the commercial insoles in them, after a while they do start to feel restrictive and stiff. I have just gooten so use to soft scientifically designed "RUNNERS"

I actually looked at the date when I clicked into this, thinking this was a thread that had come back from the dead.

But, no.

This topic however, is so old.

LOL
    Thats interesting so this thread is as old as boards well I am not here that long:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Im wearing a pair of black tracksuit bottoms with elasticated ankle, white socks and a pair of doc martin shoes.

Im wearing a pair of black tracksuit bottoms with elasticated ankle, white socks and a pair of doc martin shoes.

I think I just saw you, on the boardwalk with a football shirt, bumfluff and a grubby baseball cap, yeh?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...but Nike Air Max or Hi-Tec crap for actually running in are a no-no.
    You won't see many people running in those shoes.

robinph wrote: »
    You won't see many people running in those shoes.

No way man, you'll see loads. They might have a recently acquired handbag or the Gards after them mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I've never been refused wearing retro Vans :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Hitler!

He always wore his brown shirt in publicity photos, but in private it was a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Went out to have a meal for my birthday with my husband when I was about 6/7 months pregnant on my 3rd child.

Decided we would have a drink afterwards while waiting for the next bus home from town.

It was a quiet midweek night but the bouncer wouldn't let me in cos I was wearing black trainers!!

I was standing there shocked. Explained to him pointing at the big belly that we were having 1 drink whilst waiting on the bus (soft drink for me even) but he was having none of it....I was in disbelief, I remember asking him if he knew how fcuking annoying and uncomfortable it was to wear heels................never mind when your pregnant!!:mad:

I suppose it was over 12 years ago and the Celtic era was in full swing..I'd imagine if I turned up this Wed night the same pub would have no problem with whatever shoes I'd be wearing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I never wear shoes when I go out OP and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
    I actually looked at the date when I clicked into this, thinking this was a thread that had come back from the dead. But, no. This topic however, is so old.

And your point is?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I wear either Vans or Converse out all the time in Dublin/Belfast/Waterford/Galway and never had an issue.

Outside those cities (can't speak for Cork or Limerick-never been on a night out in either) I've run into problems a few times. Navan is particularly bad-if you're not wearing brown leather shoes, blue jeans and a shirt you're not getting in. The same happened in Dundalk and Athlone. Make of that what you want :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wear trainers or shoes on a fifty fifty basis when out with no issues. I only wear retro type trainers (like vintage Adidas or plimsolls) though, never air max and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Modern shoes are **** and are not designed for walking or standing in for a long time. They are designed to be worn while you sit at a desk somewhere.

A nice pair of runners, well fitted, are super comfortable. I never wear shoes out because I can't remember the last time I was at a club that gave a ****.

Cool places? One of them cool places that they have now?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Navan is particularly bad-if you're not wearing brown leather shoes, blue jeans and a shirt you're not getting in.

Not surprised, Navan has always been the fashion capital in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Saunas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've seen people get advised not to enter a club by the bouncers before as they were dressed too smart. You'd not have got in wearing a tracksuit and runners though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I can't see the point of wearing trainers unless I need to. I own one pair of tennis shoes that I rarely wear, and runners for the gym. They just don't suit me, and I don't find them more comfortable than loafers, or even going barefoot.

I would feel weird going out in trainers; a bit like wearing a hoody to a wedding. Having said that, I couldn't care less if someone else wants to wear trainers when socialising, it doesn't affect anyone else in the slightest and is a remarkably silly reason for turning someone away from a nightclub in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement