Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing trainers while out.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I wear leather shoes in work and can't wait to get out of them by the end of the day. I would only wear proper runners / trainers if in the gym, out walking or washing the car.

In the evening / weekends I would wear this type of 'shoe' which strictly speaking could be termed as 'athletic' but aren't really. They're a happy medium and acceptable with pretty much everything bar a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I always wear runners, adidas usually, the classic flat ones with stripes on the side, never actual jogging runners, and never once have been stopped going into anywhere with them, usually wear jeans a shirt and blazer as well so once you dont look like a complete scobe bouncers rarely care whats on your feet. only wear shoes with suit pants

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

what i've learned from this thread is that a load of dip****s in Ireland now call runners "trainers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I don't own a pair of casual / street runners.

I own a couple of pairs of Asics and some sauconys, but these are for running, and only for running. I don't wear them any other time.

For suits, smart pants etc, I have a pair of black and a pair of brown shoes to wear, depending on the clothes I'm wearing.

The rest of the time I wear converse, I have a good few pairs of them and they're what I wear with jeans.

I don't wear tracksuit bottoms, not even for running in, that's what shorts are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

skregs wrote: »
    what i've learned from this thread is that a load of dip****s in Ireland now call runners "trainers"

My Mum calls them runners, bless . . .

But its 2012 now, and for about the last ten, fifteen or twenty years 'Trainers' has become the universal term, unless of course you belong to an older generation, who will always call them runners, or maybe even plimsolls :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For the discerning lady to wear with her 'going out tracksuit'
    http://www.barnorama.com/wp-content/images/2011/04/B940/08.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

LordSutch wrote: »
    My Mum calls them runners, bless . . .

But its 2012 now, and for about the last ten, fifteen or twenty years 'Trainers' has become the universal term, unless of course you belong to an older generation, who will always call them runners, or maybe even plimsolls :))

Trainers is a UK term for me, the way sneakers is a US term. I've always called them runners and 15 - 20 years ago I was playing with Tonka trucks so I'm not really from a different era.

I find it hard to get shoes that I like now. If I see a nice pair I try to pick them up because so many are pointy abominations that Noel Fielding would be ashamed to wear or horrible desert boot things. I also think that most shoes look pretty bad with jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

LordSutch wrote: »
    for about the last ten, fifteen or twenty years 'Trainers' has become the universal term

Amongst D4 rugby heads maybe or those who like putting on airs... LordSutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

http://www.wildberries.ru/catalog/372/men.aspx

Yes... different countrys have different words for them... whats you point?

Peetrik wrote: »
    Yes... different countrys have different words for them... whats you point?

No point, I was just replying to Post#54 in which the poster said "what i've learned from this thread is that a load of dip****s in Ireland now call runners "trainers".

Lets move on . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Don't worry, you're all wrong.

Runners and trainers are both acceptable terms in Ireland, it just varies depending on which part of the country you're from. I'm from North Dublin and I call them runners, as do all my friends, but I've met any amount of people from around the country who'd refer to them as "trainers," and believe me, these are not the type people with delusions of eloquence.

Reading these forums, it never ceases to amaze me that people who have lived in Ireland as long as I have, if not longer, have not yet copped on to the fact that Hiberno English is a colourful and varied dialect in which there in no one universally "accepted" set of nouns - it is entirely dependent on the region that you're from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What about my right to wear sandals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What about my right to wear sandals?

You can wear them as long as you're not wearing socks at the same time. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You can wear them as long as you're not wearing socks at the same time. ;)

Close but no cigar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I asked a bouncer before why they didn't allow runners. He said that it's because the soles are soft and mark the floor. I pointed to girls going in wearing pumps and sandals and he said it applied to guys only.

There's a club near me that you aren't allow wear a top with a zip, unless you put it into the cloakroom. Most of my tops are zip style tips and after they refused me, I've never gone back. If a place doesn't let you in because of attire they can go fuk themselves and not have my money.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

antodeco wrote: »
    There's a club near me that you aren't allow wear a top with a zip, unless you put it into the cloakroom. Most of my tops are zip style tips and after they refused me, I've never gone back. If a place doesn't let you in because of attire they can go fuk themselves and not have my money.

It does amuse me pubs are still refusing people based on attire these days, you'd think they'd be happy for you to waste money on their premises. I only wear tracksuits/runners (yes air max ones) so as you can imagine I wouldn't get in anywhere on a night out, doesnt bother me as I cant stand pubs and clubs anyways! Can't beat a few tins in the comfort of your own home :D

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

less and less places nowadays want you to wear shoes. as long as youre not wearing big white air max youre ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I've never been refused in my converse...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

^ what colour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

the better lookin the man..the less important the footwear! :D Hot guy can wear wellies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

I can't stand Converse and the people who wear them.

Metrosexual types, forty/thirty somethings wanting to be twenty somethings.

Satts wrote: »

Well, that's absolute bollox. They're pretty much ubiquitous across all demographics at this stage. Certainly not the preserve of "metrosexuals."

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Well, that's absolute bollox. They're pretty much ubiquitous across all demographics at this stage. Certainly not the preserve of "metrosexuals."

+1
    They've been carrying me through my twenties for eight years now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

44leto wrote: »

I don't like wearing leather shoes, I just don't find them as comfortable as trainers,

Shorts are more comfortable than jeans but I dont head out for the night wearing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Funny how the old rocker type runner boots with big floppy tongue are now considered high fashion with the emergence of scangers' as standard

never got stopped from entering any club in my cheap rotting converse.. funny, that

Shorts are more comfortable than jeans but I dont head out for the night wearing them
    Apples and oranges, at least in these modern times. It is socially acceptable to wear runners into clubs these days, and even advisable in certain locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

We all know they are called tackies... aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

People who wear runners with tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can't stand losers who make generalizations based on something as ridiculous as a pair of runners. I'd much rather be round young at heart 30 & 40 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Probably because it's too cold most of the time in Ireland I suspect. Head to the US and Canada and you'll regularly see men wearing shorts out in bars.

CageWager wrote: »
    People who wear runners with tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They're called Cyclists!

RichieC wrote: »
    I can't stand losers who make generalizations based on something as ridiculous as a pair of runners. I'd much rather be round young at heart 30 & 40 year olds.

The thing I find ridiculous is someone posting about a pair of runners at one o'clock in the morning.

I have no problem hanging out with young at heart 30/40 year olds, I am one myself, but I don't try to look like a 20 year old.

why u mad bro?

Do we have a few metro tendencies here I wonder ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I always wear the Converse style pumps or boots day to day and a nice pair of fluffy slippers at home
    but the attitude to wearing runners in pubs has definitely relaxed a lot since the CT but I still wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them on a night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't stand Converse but have about four pairs of these bad boys and never have a problem getting in anywhere in Ireland when I'm home (except the Wright Venue which is probably a blessing in disguise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I nearly always wear trainers (Vans, DCs etc..not ones for actually running) and I've never had a problem getting in anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Retro Adidas pour moi. Never wear anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The BS with runners and clubs is ridiculous, what's the point anyway? When you get in, it's dark so no one can see what you are wearing. Plus it was always different rules for different people. I went in with a friend once, she was wearing white runners, I had a pair of cons on. They were letting her in and said I couldn't because of the runners. We pointed our her white runners and the bouncer just shrugged his shoulders.

I remember some clubs back in my youth operating like bowling alleys, they would exchange your runners for a set of shoes and you get your runners back when leaving.

In another one of our mates who was wearing shoes would go into the club, go to the toilets and pass his shoes out the window where we would be waiting, quick exchange and we would one by one go in and put our runners back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

Retro Adidas pour moi. Never wear anything else.

It must get cold in the Winter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jester77 wrote: »
    ... We pointed our her white runners and the bouncer just shrugged his shoulders.

She is obviously better looking, not a difficult one to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

44leto wrote: »
    I am of that generation who use to get refused entry into a nightclub or some pubs for wearing trainers. But recently while out I noticed most the guys where wearing trainers.

I don't like wearing leather shoes, I just don't find them as comfortable as trainers, So I ask is wearing trainers while out become a norm? have you in recent times ever been refused entry because you where wearing trainers?

i remember a bouncer in carlow telling me why trainers were not allowed.

he told me that a guy put razor blades (the old fashioned type) into the soles of the trainers and went into a pub and start kicking someone with them.

the next week i went and put razors into the sole of an old pair of shoes and showed the bouncer that it was just as easy put them into the soles of shoes as it was to put them into soles of trainers.

its plain silly why bouncers (who these days cannot afford to be picky - see the many empty pubs on a saturday night) still enforce that silly rule.

The thing I find ridiculous is someone posting about a pair of runners at one o'clock in the morning.
    What is the accepted cutoff time for online discourse on casual footwear, for future reference?

he told me that a guy put razor blades (the old fashioned type) into the soles of the trainers and went into a pub and start kicking someone with them.

the next week i went and put razors into the sole of an old pair of shoes and showed the bouncer that it was just as easy put them into the soles of shoes as it was to put them into soles of trainers.

its plain silly why bouncers (who these days cannot afford to be picky - see the many empty pubs on a saturday night) still enforce that silly rule.
    I haven't been turned back from a club in years, but I have to say I was always left cold by cookie-cutter rejections - "not tonight," "regulars only" and all that jazz. I genuinely appreciate bouncers who go out of their way to come up with creative reasons for refusal, the above being a stellar example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What is the accepted cutoff time for online discourse on casual footwear, for future reference?

Midnight! After that you may only discuss slippers or flip flops until the sun rises again!

Sorry, them's the rules, it's written in folklore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I never heard that one and I did the odd doorwork back then. It was just door policy and more pageantry, kind of saying the rules are the rules.

I was in TKmax this morning and I think I found a happy medium IPath shoes they are jet black runners they look like a nice pair of shoes but they are as comfortable as runners 24,99 I bought 2 pairs.

PMSL. :D

I shouldn't have wrote that, hope I didn't offend shift workers, insomniacs and the feckless.

Advertisement