Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop died after 14 months

Options
  • 12-02-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My friend's 14 month old laptop has died. The shop say it is out of warranty. Surely a laptop should last more than 14 months, what is the law regarding this area, does my friend have any recourse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your consumer rights state that a product should last a reasonable amount of time (without undue wear and tear) and should be fit for purpose.

The warranty period doesn't really matter as it cannot supersede your consumer rights.

If your friend's laptop has died (without any damage from the the owner), then the shop has to engage with him. They cannot fob it off. They are entitled to investigate the reason for the failure, but if it comes back as a fault, they have to offer one of the 3 Rs - replacement, repair or refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

Explain "died'.

Laptop not turning on at all whatsoever or what ?

Any led lights on or
    screen on or whatnot ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mathperson

sher55 wrote: »
    Explain "died'.

Laptop not turning on at all whatsoever or what ?

Any led lights on or
    screen on or whatnot ...?

I havent seen it myself but Ive been told something 'flashes' up on the screen when its booting and then it stops booting. It must be serious enough if the shop are trying to get out of fixing it.

Please provide laptop brand so i can somehow help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

sher55 wrote: »
    Please provide laptop brand so i can somehow help.

How is that going to help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm guessing it would have to be a hardware issue. Because your mate could have downloaded and installed loads of dodgy programs onto the laptop which could be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Is it software if the mate has installed "dodgy" programs

As other posters has stated is it a hardware or software issue becaude it is good to give all the info ...

brand because they have several system recovery/repair modes that will help you .

mathperson wrote: »
    I havent seen it myself but Ive been told something 'flashes' up on the screen when its booting and then it stops booting. It must be serious enough if the shop are trying to get out of fixing it.

If it's a software issue then this would not be covered under warranty. It simply isn't possible, everyone uses their machine in a different way. The only thing that could be done would be to restore the machine to factory configuration (or wipe and reinstall the OS) but this would result in loss of all data.

If it's a hardware issue then you may have a case.

Jev/N wrote: »
    How is that going to help?

A Lot ! Most laptops have a recovery partition on the hard drive to recover the laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

AFAIK the shop warranty doesn't cover it if say your friend was to use dodgy program's resulting in some important system files being deleted.

If it boots up and you get something on the screen it's not the be all and end all, it could just be a corrupt hard drive/boot files.

Most laptops nowadays have a recovery partition on the hard drive for such an event have your friend use the recovery DVD if there was one supplied at time of purchase.

Advertisement