Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contemporary hedging for road-front privacy

Options
  • 12-02-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

House is very close to main road and want to grow hedging along the front for privacy from road.

Would prefer it to be evergreen for all year privacy, contemporary but nothing too cutting edge or prim & proper as its a country house. I will need to plant approx 2o metres of this

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi,

House is very close to main road and want to grow hedging along the front for privacy from road.

Would prefer it to be evergreen for all year privacy, contemporary but nothing too cutting edge or prim & proper as its a country house. I will need to plant approx 2o metres of this

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Grisellinia would be a bog standard choice but Laurel and Photinia would be popular examples of better grade evergreen hedging used in Kildare area.

There are others including Portugese Laurel and Bay Laurel which are less vigorous and perhaps produce a more formal look.

Holly especially variagated (Silver Queen) makes a superb hedge (clipped and/or informal) but alas is a slow grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chipperf

Maybe consider a Berberis of some kind - certainly not a traditional choice of hedge, but can be used. Evergreen species are available, has thorns, flowers, fruit, and wouldn't be formal in its appearance or habit. Would fit in nicely in a rural setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

thank you all for the response, I will research these recommendations further and see what suits best

Paddylonglegs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Beech is a good native hedge resistant to our mad recent weather and pests, although it's not evergreen the leaves stay in place on a hedge through the winter until the spring growth comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I agree absolutely with Cedrus, Beech is a great choice; as it holds on to its leaves in winter it gives as good privacy as an evergreen. Although it may be a little slower to get going compared to some evergreens the great advantage is that it should only need clipping once a season. It can aslo be cut to a precise finish which can be difficult with some larger leaved species like Griselinia. Beech would look great in a country setting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cedrus wrote: »
    Beech is a good native hedge resistant to our mad recent weather and pests, although it's not evergreen the leaves stay in place on a hedge through the winter until the spring growth comes through.

And hornbeam is even hardier than beech,it has pointer leaves and also holds its lovely dead/brown leaves in the wintertime.

As others have said,it takes a little more time to grow,but its so well worth the wait.

All of the above mentioned, is why my missus chose it for our own garden.:)

Advertisement