Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from after hours

Options
  • 12-02-2012 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Moderator Dr. Bollocko banned me from After Hours after he jumped to the conclusion that I was another poster who had re-reg'd after being previously banned.
    Although in the banning notification it was stated I was banned for insulting other posters when I PM'd him he asked "How many different accounts have you had at this stage?"; that was the reason he banned me.

He summarily banned me without further investigation as to my identity.
    He also claimed that I had insulted other posters when I suggested that they were bleeding hearts who were being manipulated by interest groups and were displaying reverse-prejudice.
    Even I had been which I completely dispute the actions of the moderator were disproportionate and should have not resulted in more than at most an infraction and editing of a post.
    The moderator has abused the powers given to him and has been evasive and totally unapologetic in his responses by PM and has now stopped responding to me.
    Discussions concerning immigration are devisive and attract racists and the moderator should exercise more caution when moderating such topics. He has banned me in a case of mistaken identity not because I posted something which is racist but rather because I used valid arguments and observations which have been abused by racists countless times before.
    Regards,
    Eleganza.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

I'm very annoyed that the moderator in question knows that he has made a mistake with regard to my identify but won't admit that he made a mistake and remove the ban; that is an abuse of the authority giving to Dr. Bollocko. Hence the need to raise a dispute here.
    I query the following:
    1) The ban itself.
    2) the steps taken by the moderator to moderate the discussion and methods of censure available to the moderator which he decided not to use and instead opted to ban me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Regardless of the question of your identity which I will leave up to the Admins to decide if you wish to persue it the following comment from you is personal abuse and worthy of the ban
    Jump to conclusions all you want. You are obviously an extremely prejudiced pompous ass and I'm out of this discussion.

You have previous bans for personal abuse in other forums so should know that this type of behaviour is unacceptable so the ban is justified

You are absolutely out of line to refer to my history. In the Irish legal system a person would be judged on the crime before the court, not past behaviour.
    comletely out of line.

"pompous ass"?
    What word would you put after pompous?
    and in that case when used appropriately to describe the nature of the poster and is no order of magnitude worse than calling someone a "twit" which is used by another poster to the thread without censure.

Also, I refer to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77046152&postcount=10
    Here, I'm actually called a NAZI without the four letters actually being typed.
    any moderation there? Not a jot.

Dr. Bollocko appears to not be approaching the thread very even handedly and is abusing the authority given to him as he thought I was someone else.

Speaking of past experience of moderation history wouldn't it be great if Bollocko had actually cited that as a reason for banning but he didn't even take the time to look at who I was, how long I was around these parts and my general history.

I've been infracted unfairly before edited unfairly before. I know they are lesser moderation strategies in the arsenal of a moderator which have not been used here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

There is a general rule on Boards of attack the post not the poster, calling somone a pompus ass, whether correct or not is attacking the poster

I didn't judge you on past history, I took this example on its own merits, I just referred to your previous history to show that you should have learned from previous experience

The ban is upheld, feel free to appeal it to the Admins if you wish

late reply as I was out with the rest of the fourth reich walking on a frozen river in one of the areas referred to as not socially inclusive.

If only there was some consistency in your deliberations.
    I point out that someone accused me of being a NAZI before I posted the reply to the thread and no action is taken against them.
    I point out that I have evidence of the reason for banning being different from the one claimed.
    I appeal the decision to ban; reason being it was inappropriate and excessive. The Recliner failed to address these criticisms in his reply.

• Advertisement

examples of inconsistency.
    references to pompous ass against other posters in other threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67511380&postcount=24 6 thanks, no ban
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67511380&postcount=24

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Eleganza wrote: »
    You are absolutely out of line to refer to my history. In the Irish legal system a person would be judged on the crime before the court, not past behaviour.
    comletely out of line.

On the contrary, you are under Boards.ie rules here, not the Irish legal system. So the moderator and Cmod were not out of line.

Also, I refer to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77046152&postcount=10
    Here, I'm actually called a NAZI without the four letters actually being typed.
    any moderation there? Not a jot.

I don't see the word Nazi used there. You could possibly infer that is what the poster is referring to, but upon first reading I certainly didn't. There is a clear distinction between insulting somebody outright and inferring something.
    I've been infracted unfairly before edited unfairly before. I know they are lesser moderation strategies in the arsenal of a moderator which have not been used here.

It is up to the discretion of each moderator what he or she can use. In this case, I agree with the moderator. It is pretty clear-cut to me.
    late reply as I was out with the rest of the fourth reich walking on a frozen river in one of the areas referred to as not socially inclusive.

Not really helping your case here.
    examples of inconsistency.
    references to pompous ass against other posters in other threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67511380&postcount=24 6 thanks, no ban
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67511380&postcount=24

Different forums, different moderators, different charter, different rules.

What is acceptable in one forum is not necessarily acceptable in another forum.

Calling somebody a pompous ass is in clear breach of the charter:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63135178#post63135178

Attack the post, not the poster.

I suggest you take some time out to reflect upon what we have discussed on the thread here, try to understand where we are coming from and feel free to ask any questions if need anything clarified.

As such, I see no reason to overturn Dr. Bollocko's decision.

Delete my user please. I have no more time for this.
    It is obvious to me that the moderator banned me in a case of mistaken identity and boards.ie moderation team will back each other up come what may.
    You can make the rules up and interpret them as you so wish as you go along but if I don't play your game I don't have to abide by them.
    Seems to me that the After Hours forum is a bearpit and the moderators are the biggest bears there.
    Delete my user. I'm very disappointed in this sham of an appeal process.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I don't see the word Nazi used there. You could possibly infer that is what the poster is referring to, but upon first reading I certainly didn't. There is a clear distinction between insulting somebody outright and inferring something.
    Seriously? Implication is the primary tool of the skilled troll and you know that damn well.
    Different forums, different moderators, different charter, different rules.
    No referring a decision from district or circuit to high to supreme court analogy here. This referring to best practice.
    Your interpretation of how boards should work makes each despot Moderator king of his own hill.
    Making decisions is based on how they feel things "in their waters".
    Sham process.
    Delete me now. Should be cathartic for you as you go through the mechanics of suppressing opionion to further the howling PC masses who mistook me, who happens to be an immigrant to another country, as a xenophobic racist.

Delete me now.

If you look at the top of the page, to the left, there is a link to your user Control Panel. In there you can close your own account.
    Should be cathartic for you as you go through the mechanics of suppressing opionion to further the howling PC masses who mistook me, who happens to be an immigrant to another country, as a xenophobic racist.

I honestly have no idea what you are on about.

• Advertisement

I'm saying to you delete my user so that you can familiarise yourself with the act of suppressing discussion rather than overseeing it from a distance as you currently do.
    We both know I was banned in error now follow through as you are complicit.

I'm saying to you delete my user so that you can familiarise yourself with the act of suppressing discussion rather than overseeing it from a distance as you currently do.
    We both know I was banned in error now follow through as you are complicit.

Sorry buddy, I don't take orders from people like you.

If you want your account closed, do it yourself.

I well familiar with the act of suppression. I spend my whole life doing it. It's what gives me a reason to get up in the afternoon.

OK. Do you really want a malcontent like me loose on your forum?

OK. Do you really want a malcontent like me loose on your forum?

Depends on the definition of "your forum".

For example:
    Tom Dunne, he doesn't beat his wife these days!

Infer away but according to your reading of the rules I couldn't possibly be banned for that. I could be putting one of those comments in every thread on the forum.

You don't take orders from people like me? Hard to know who people like me are when we are so easily mistaken for other people.

see Dr. Bollocko's musings on banning people here.
    He doesn't admit the possibility that he could possibly make a mistake.

I suggest you take some time out to reflect upon what we have discussed
    I've taken some time to reflect. Dr. Bollocko banned me in a case of mistaken identity and doesn't want to acknowledge the mistake.
    Reflecting upon it any longer won't change that.
    This thread is a testement to the failings of boards.ie's moderation policies.
    trigger happy PC moderators who don't mind collateral damage when pursuing their vendetta against persons unknown and a whitewash dispute resolution process to sweep it all under the carpet.
    How embarassing for boards.ie.

According to Dr. Bollocko Mods can cheat. dispute resolution process is a sham.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76725930&postcount=29

Since common decency isn't afforded me I should act as a scoundrel would.

• Advertisement

My beligerent moderator complaint was deleted.
    Not asking to be privy to actual deliberations but is there a formal process for moderating moderators. Genuine question?
    I find an example of a moderator openly declaring that he will do as he pleases with no regard for fairness. What do you do to moderate him.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think this has more than run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement