Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Finance UCD or TCD

Options
  • 12-02-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello everyone,

I have received offers for both MSc Finance courses. Now I am unsure which one I should take. I am a German student and for me it seems like TCD is better known here, eventhough UCD performs much better in business school rankings.
    Right now I am preferring the TCD course a little bit more, because of the number of choosable modules in the second term.

Could someone give me any advice? Does anyone have experiences with the courses?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TransportCons

I have the same problem. Don't know what to do! The guys in UCD said that it's a more quantitative course than Trinity, so it would be better for your prospects say if you wanted to get into trading or stockbroking etc.
    Campus is nice in UCD, very quiet, trinity is right in the city centre!
    Trinity's modules are taught in one week each, then you get a week off before the next one so it's pretty intense.
    UCD have more accreditations though and have 12 full time staff unlike trinity.
    the problem Trinity in general is more recognised around the world as a name, however the actual finance course in UCD is better regarded! It's like doing engineering in Harvard! Engineering in MIT would be a lot better from a career point of view...... but the name Harvard just has status! It's a personal taste issue I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Colonia

Hi Transport thanks for your reply.

Its good to know that I am not the only person with this problem. I know its complaining on a high level and it seems like both courses are very good. Right know I am tending towards the TCD course, because its better known over here and I like the fact that its possible to choose courses in the second term. The UCD course seems a little bit more inflexibel. But I just cant imagine how the teaching in one week should work. When are you going to do the presentations, essays, exams?
    And I dislike the fact that trinity hall is pretty far away from the campus and it seems like there is no way to get a room at the campus, because I wont be able to apply to a room till I get my bachelor degree (this will happen in July). Do you have any idea which course are you going to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TransportCons

Trinity is tempting, it has the name, but UCD I think has a better quality course. I think I'll be heading for UCD since I really want to get into some form of an investment banking career. I think UCD has very strong connections here with industry and is ranked well above Trinity in the Financial Times Best Business Schools list so it may be a better choice for me. It's average salary of graduates also ranks every so slightly higher than Trinity too. But I'm still pretty unsure myself

Advertisement