Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xperia Play for gaming

Options
  • 12-02-2012 1:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one of these? I managed to pick one up dirt cheap this week and I think its a great phone. Ticks all the boxes. Researching now how to get PSOne games of my own onto it. Anyone tinkered with theirs? I'm coming from a SE X8 (got mugged actually :pac:) and the difference is just massive, the X8 is such a **** phone, partially because of its screen size, its so bad it takes a few seconds to hang up on a phone call! :P The Play is so well produced theres even a screen-protector on it put on at the factory so no bubbles! Brilliant. They're better than half price now than when they launched too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Get the SNES and GBA emulators running on it and you'll never need to buy another game for it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yeah I'm gonna do that too... but PSOne's where its at tbh! :P

Can't believe the hate I've heard about this phone previously... Sony have effectively discontinued it too from what phone retailers were telling me! Shame.

What free emulators are best for the Play? i.e. can use the actual controls, and can turn off the on-screen UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

OnLive are supporting it now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Firmware is supposed to be rubbish on them. We've had a few bricked ones

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OnLive are supporting it now too.

for real?! anyone tried that out yet? that would be class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

try FPse for PSone games. Works extremely well for me

for real?! anyone tried that out yet? that would be class!

Unless it's a fake vid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've played it on play, I also tried it on Xperia Mini Pro.

It is ok, not the best.

Analog sticks are a bit crap on Play and still are here. Might be better if you get used to it.

Jumps and lag depend on your connection so it is fine sometimes but terrible at other times.

It was crap on Xperia Mini Pro. Not designed for that screen resolution and on screen controls are poor IMO so best on Xperia Play.

You can play some free trials with an account and the android apk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Same as you OP went from an X8 to a play, first thing you do is pick up experiment 13 form the market , it's a free game .... not saying its great but it's free.

Snes/megadrive whatever emulators can be mapped to use the plays buttons and all work well. I have a dock for it and use my Wiimote and classic controller at times but any phone with bluetooth can do this . Good and all as the plays build in controls are I find the shoulder buttons fiddly at best.

For what it's it's worth snes ad is what I use. no need to go looking for special roms the pc ones will do the job.

RedXIV wrote: »
    try FPse for PSone games. Works extremely well for me

Know of any good forums or online guides to do naughty things like run PSOne games on it? Would I have to root it, or mess with the bootloader altogether? Whats the difference?

• Advertisement

There are PS1 Emulators, yes?

FPSe is a PS1 emulator. But I dont know (and doubt tbh) if its a simple a task as dumping an iso or whatever onto the phones mem card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Andy!! wrote: »
    FPSe is a PS1 emulator. But I dont know (and doubt tbh) if its a simple a task as dumping an iso or whatever onto the phones mem card.

no that's pretty much it. you'll need the usual sph1001.bin bios file but other than that it works pretty well.

Good thread on it here

Sweet :) It even has force feedback, thats hilarious. Its funny how we can spend 150+ on a phone but hesitate on a €3 app haha, hate spending money on apps. How does the mobile version of GTAIII run on the Play?

Also, what happened to SNESoid? Did it get pulled or renamed?

And anyone know of any good forums where I can ask bold Android related questions and not get a slap from the mods? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Sweet :) It even has force feedback, thats hilarious. Its funny how we can spend 150+ on a phone but hesitate on a €3 app haha, hate spending money on apps. How does the mobile version of GTAIII run on the Play?

Also, what happened to SNESoid? Did it get pulled or renamed?

And anyone know of any good forums where I can ask bold Android related questions and not get a slap from the mods? :pac:
    Have a google of the slideme market place, that's where I got my emulators from, mainly use Snesoid and Gameboid, the GBA one.

The GBA one is amazing and I use it more then I even use the PS emulator!

Have to say Im finding it dissapointing as an emulator... using SnesDroid, there is crackling noise while playing, and while using the built in PS emulator, the amount of sound and visual problems isnt even funny. Is FPSe much better thant the built in one?

Playing around with an iphone 4S these past few days... incredible cameras but generally they are so over-rated. Android FTW.

Anyone got past experiences to share on the issues noted in the second last post? And anyone played GTAIII on it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Anyone got past experiences to share on the issues noted in the second last post? And anyone played GTAIII on it?
    I have , I'd no problems with it once it installed and it's fairly smooth (little slowdown maybe once in a built up area with loads of traffic but otherwise fine).

Fpse is excellent , most games are perfect that I've tried , although one or two have crackly music(GAuntlet legends).One problem with it is that for some reason the author wont implement the "mapping analog sticks to the xperia play pads" yet , even though apparantly he's had it working in a beta version???
    why I dont know.

I was on you today, you were rather crowded ;)

Thanks for the post.

• Advertisement

Now that you changed your username what I posted just sounds weird :/

Anyone get Silent Hill running normally on this phone? I get weird red borders at the top and bottom of the image and there are white squares around the character and trees...

Advertisement