Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just made the ultimate n00b move :-(

Options
  • 12-02-2012 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Woke up early this mornign to do a little writing, then some gaming on my PC. Windows wouldn't load, was being a bit of a stubborn mule about it; would load up very slowly into the desktop, seem to have a single process at 24k in mem size hogging the processor up to 99%, so tried to log on in safe mode, same issue.

Tried doing a restore, same issue. So I decided to take a look inside my PC to remove any dust inside it (was some - been about 7 weeks since I did it last).

Anyways, removed the processor from it's socket ...... bent the processor pins trying to put it back in, tried straightening with a credit card ..... broke a pin off ..........

So, now apart from being very annoyed, I'm trying to locate a replacement processor and or board ...... prob also another HDD to act as a new master ....

the PC is using an ASUS atx mini board with an AMD X2 64 processor (not sure which series tbh, the heatsync is welded to the top of the processor :-( so can't see)

I've an Antec900 case, with an nVidia GTX260 GPU, 4GB of RAM, a 320GB HDD & 4GB of Ballistix RAM. The PSU is a CoolerMaster 700w PSU. I had/have Windows 7 64bit premium installed.

Any suggestions on how/where to replace my cpu/board from, without breaking the bank. I use the machine for gaming (WoW/Rift/SWTOR/Skyrim/CoD), general interwebbing & desktop work. And, where's the quickest place to go to get a replacement board and or CPU ..... will also consider getting a cheap SSD as a new master HDD soley for the OS.

REally a very unhappy camper today - please help me if you can boardies :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Sorry to hear that. You need to be a bit more specific on your specs. What's the motherboard and RAM models? and what are you willing to spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 the7twenty

Motherboard is an ASUS Mini ATX board ..... can't really discern any model numbers on it.

RAM is Crucial.com Ballistix 4x 1GB sticks

As for spend, I think maybe 200euros is the absolute limit ....... broke doesn't begin to describe it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I actually have a spare AMD processor around here. It's an Athlon X2 something. It's AM2 socket anyway, so odds are it'll fit. It's a dual core, either a 2.4GHz chip or 2.8, I can't honestly remember.

How would that work for you? I have a stock heatsink for it too if you need.

Edit: It's this one, I'm almost sure.

This is what my processor came up as:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200

so would that processor work Serephucas?

Looks like it would, yes. Mine would be a slight downgrade though (2.4GHz from 2.6GHz), but you shouldn't notice much of a different if any when gaming.

• Advertisement

ok, guess then the only thing I need to figure out is how much for the cpu & the heatsink, & where abouts are you based lol I'm on the Kildare/Dublin border, have car & can travel ....

Well that suits very well. I'm in Maynooth. I can't travel though, no car. There's a few X2s on Adverts for €35, so €40 for CPU and heatsink?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Well that suits very well. I'm in Maynooth. I can't travel though, no car. There's a few X2s on Adverts for €35, so €40 for CPU and heatsink?

LOL - am next door in Kilcock .... 40 euros sir, done. PM me with ze details - ty so so so so so so muc =)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sorry to hear that bro, horrible start to the day. Do u think your mobo and heat sink is alright? Also do u have important stuff on ur HDD, maybe a fresh install,d sort things out. Don't suppose u've another pc to check if ur ram's still ok, maybe that's why it was sluggish booting?

RAM is fine ..... was able to perform a check on it using the repair tool on the Win7 disc.

Also, was coming up as 4GB in the bios before I decided to go all "sure, taking it apart is easy" on the thing ....

Think I can sort the HDD to allow me to get the data off it so I can do a clean install ..... just didnt need the cpu issue :-(

• Advertisement

If you do end up needing RAM, I have that too. ;) (Spare parts from an old build, faulty motherboard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the7twenty wrote: »
    Woke up early this mornign to do a little writing, then some gaming on my PC. Windows wouldn't load, was being a bit of a stubborn mule about it; would load up very slowly into the desktop, seem to have a single process at 24k in mem size hogging the processor up to 99%, so tried to log on in safe mode, same issue.

Tried doing a restore, same issue. So I decided to take a look inside my PC to remove any dust inside it (was some - been about 7 weeks since I did it last).

Anyways, removed the processor from it's socket ...... bent the processor pins trying to put it back in, tried straightening with a credit card ..... broke a pin off ..........

So, now apart from being very annoyed, I'm trying to locate a replacement processor and or board ...... prob also another HDD to act as a new master ....

the PC is using an ASUS atx mini board with an AMD X2 64 processor (not sure which series tbh, the heatsync is welded to the top of the processor :-( so can't see)

I've an Antec900 case, with an nVidia GTX260 GPU, 4GB of RAM, a 320GB HDD & 4GB of Ballistix RAM. The PSU is a CoolerMaster 700w PSU. I had/have Windows 7 64bit premium installed.

Any suggestions on how/where to replace my cpu/board from, without breaking the bank. I use the machine for gaming (WoW/Rift/SWTOR/Skyrim/CoD), general interwebbing & desktop work. And, where's the quickest place to go to get a replacement board and or CPU ..... will also consider getting a cheap SSD as a new master HDD soley for the OS.

REally a very unhappy camper today - please help me if you can boardies :-(

look on adverts for a secondhand amd athlon x2 cpu

here is one for sale http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/amd-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-4400-2-3ghz-cpu-processor-ad04400iaa5dd/1335437

what model is your asus board? open up the case and look at the motherboard... it will say what model it is somewhere around the pci slots, if it's an am3 socket cpu u can buy a new cpu from www.pixmania.ie pretty cheap

asusboard.jpg

Serephucus graciously sorted me out with a replacement processor, so that crisis is now averted for the meanwhile, as it's working nicely :-)

Next up is the issue with Win7 just refusing to go anywhere past startup repair .................. and its not being friendly with system restore either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the7twenty wrote: »
    Serephucus graciously sorted me out with a replacement processor, so that crisis is now averted for the meanwhile, as it's working nicely :-)

Next up is the issue with Win7 just refusing to go anywhere past startup repair .................. and its not being friendly with system restore either.

it might be doing that because your drive boot order is not set right... make sure your primary c:\ is first on the boot order list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sounds like this whole issue is a hdd on the verge of failing.

Back up your data firstly.

Can you get into windows at all?

If you do need it, I have an AM2+ mobo for sale with 4gb ram. However I'd be 90% certain this is a hard drive issue.

Advertisement