Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case & PSU layout question

Options
  • 12-02-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been out of the system-building game for quite a few years and my current system is long overdue an overhaul. I am fairly happy with my case (Thermaltake Xaser III) but have started idly looking at new cases for a change, and in doing so am noticing more and more with power supplies being bottom-mounted rather than top-mounted.

So my question is as follows; with most PSUs having both an exhaust fan/port and an internal extraction fan to suck out hot air that ... well .... rises due to the laws of physics, how does a bottom-mounted PSU compare in terms of air-flow for a system? Further, I'm stumped by comments I've read elsewhere about facing PSUs with internal fan face down in bottom-mounted case layouts?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Most modern cases that have bottom mounted PSUs will have a cutout at the bottom of the case as well. That way the PSU will suck cold air from under the case and blow hot air out the back, having little/no impact on the airflow or temperature in the rest of the case.

If the case has a bottom mounted PSU and no cutout you have to mount the PSU upside down. That way its sucking hot air from inside the case, and blowing it out the the back. This will increase the temperature that the PSU is operating at and therefore reduce its efficiency. It will also disrupt airflow inside the case as well.

Advertisement