Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's Oldest Love Song Recreated

Options
  • 12-02-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Just in time for Valentine's day heh? :pac:
    The love song of an extinct katydid that lived 165 million years ago has been brought back to life, according to a study in the latest issue of PNAS. The song is thought to be the most ancient known music documented to date.

The song was reconstructed from microscopic wing features on a fossil discovered in North East China. It allows us to listen to one of the sounds that would have been heard by dinosaurs and other creatures roaming Jurassic forests at night.

A veritable symphony of natural sounds must have filled the world 165 million years ago, with primitive crickets and croaking amphibians leading the way. These were among the first animals to produce loud sounds by stridulation, or rubbing certain body parts together.

Read more here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Galvasean wrote: »

Read more here.

LOL

I have to admit, these reproductions are very dubious in my mind. We know that in this case for example, the creature made a sound by rubbing it's wing cases together? Well no, but we can assume it it. We know at what frequency it rubbed its wing cases together, well no we don't know that either. We don't know if there was a set pattern to the noise either ( a melody if you like)

It is all good research, don't get me wrong and I can see it in the same light as everyone else. But I am never sure that they actually made the sounds we think they did. We may be spot on, but I fear we are more likely to be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »

Read more here.

Aaw such a sweet song, remind me to sing it to my next girlfriend :D

Regardless of what you may say, I find this sort of thing fascinating- the Parasaurolophus crest song may not be exactly like the real thing, but it sounds eerie and impressive enough to belong to a prehistoric world very different from ours.

Advertisement