Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol induced depression

• 12-02-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

We all know alcohol is a depressant. But when I was a bit younger I remember being able to drink and have a night out without waking up the day after with a massive urge to hang myself.
    Is there anyway to drink a fair bit and not feel amazingly depressed the next day?
    Is it an age thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

We all know alcohol is a depressant. But when I was a bit younger I remember being able to drink and have a night out without waking up the day after with a massive urge to hang myself.
    Is there anyway to drink a fair bit and not feel amazingly depressed the next day?
    Is it an age thing?
    Having a few at the weekend or infrequent drinking won't do much harm. It becomes a depressant when you drink habitually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Don't stop drinking.

Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Depressant doesn't mean what you think it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Agree with Abi, moderate drinking is ok but heavy drinking over a period of time will cause depression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

That's called "the fear".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Is it an age thing?

If you feel like this you need to address your problem and get professional help.
    you seem to have a fixation on hanging for some reason Teddy.
    Have you thought about counselling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hangovers are a penance for intoxicating your body. Without the hangover there are no repercussions in the short term.

In the long term if you try to suppress hangovers you are building problems behind an unstable dam which will inevitably burst with the ensuing flood being much worse than weathering the storm periodically.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Is it an age thing?

Possibly an age thing. I can't hack the stuff anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

People in the toilet next door leaving guinness shytes behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

amacachi wrote: »

True, most people don't realise that when it's said that alcohol is a depressant it's referring to the fact it's a central nervous system depressant.

Alcohol can have an awful effect on your emotions and state of mind though. I tend to avoid it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Always bring home a member of opposite sex whose name you can't remember. It will give you a whole new set of problems in the morning, or a chance of a ride. One way or another, the hangover will be relegated to an irrelevance.

tuxy wrote: »
    True, most people don't realise that when it's said that alcohol is a depressant it's referring to the fact it's a central nervous system depressant.

Alcohol can have an awful effect on your emotions and state of mind though. I tend to avoid it these days.

I can certainly see why people misunderstand the term. In terms of mood I've always seen alcohol as an amplifier rather than causing a mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

How old are you Teddy?

I always imagine you like an ageless teddy bear who cannot grow up. Is that a very condescending thing to say? I hope not. I mean it in a nice way:)

Anyway, I'm in my mid 20s and I find that I drink less than I did 5 years ago. Not because I feel depressed after a night out, but because I generally find it a little boring these days. Drinking with some 25 or 30 year olds in a home that they own with their kids upstairs is nowhere near as much fun as drinking in your mate's bedsit when you're 20 and can all do what you want.

Also, I take longer to allow my body to recover than it did 5 years ago, when I could stay out til 4am and still be in college at 10am asking what everybody was doing later. But that's mainly to do with reflexes and headaches, as opposed to depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Abi wrote: »
    Having a few at the weekend or infrequent drinking won't do much harm. It becomes a depressant when you drink habitually.
    I have to disagree. I drink once a week if even and feel depressed to bits the next day.
    Please elaborate, I'm fairly sure it does
    hondasam wrote: »
    If you feel like this you need to address your problem and get professional help.
    you seem to have a fixation on hanging for some reason Teddy.
    Have you thought about counselling?
    Perhaps it's just my sick sense of humor?
    Always bring home a member of opposite sex whose name you can't remember. It will give you a whole new set of problems in the morning, or a chance of a ride. One way or another, the hangover will be relegated to an irrelevance.
    I actually find this adds to the problem tbh.
    I can certainly see why people misunderstand the term. In terms of mood I've always seen alcohol as an amplifier rather than causing a mood.
    Again, please elaborate, I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Not to mention your sleep patterns, ever notice how you wake up tired after a night on the lash and want to doze off in the afternoon?

Its because you didn't reach the state of healthy healing deep sleep, but stayed in a light alcohol induced doze instead.

This is why recovering alcoholics have such terrible nightmares, its a subconscious buildup of all the problems that drink failed to suppress bursting out.

Any amount of alcohol can lead to sleep problems, even a glass of wine.

Please elaborate, I'm fairly sure it does
    Did you read any other posts in this thread? It's a depressant in its effects on the CNS, not directly on mood. Never heard of a happy drunk?
    Again, please elaborate, I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.
    Is there a particular word that you're having difficulty with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/problems/alcoholanddrugs/alcoholdepression.aspx
    What is the connection between depression and alcohol?

We know that there is a connection – self-harm and suicide are much commoner in people with alcohol problems. It seems that it can work in two ways:

you regularly drink too much including (including ‘binge drinking’) which makes you feel depressed
    OR
    you drink to relieve anxiety or depression.

Either way:
    Alcohol affects the chemistry of the brain, increasing the risk of depression.
    Hangovers can create a cycle of waking up feeling ill, anxious, jittery and guilty.
    Life gets depressing – arguments with family or friends, trouble at work, memory and sexual problems.

Did you read any other posts in this thread? It's a depressant in its effects on the CNS, not directly on mood. Never heard of a happy drunk?

Is there a particular word that you're having difficulty with?
    Of course alcohol has an effect on mood!

Teddy Tired -
    Teddy Drink -
    Teddy Happy -
    Teddy Sleep -
    Teddy Depressed -
    Teddy -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I call it 'THE GRIM'.

I have it right now in fact.

:(

Of course alcohol has an effect on mood!

Teddy Tired -
    Teddy Drink -
    Teddy Happy -
    Teddy Sleep -
    Teddy Depressed -
    Teddy -

It's not that simple. Generally if I drink when I'm happy I get happier. When I'm down and drink I get downer. That's the usual but there's a lot of exceptions. I don't drink and get down every time. It has an indirect and inconsistent effect on mood for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Is it an age thing?

I've tried every trick and angle with booze and none of them work THOUGH there were occasions when i though i had found one .Even very wealthy people get hangovers and depressions .People play around with the idea that there is a way .....but there is'nt and it would have been found a long time ago .ANY form of cheatin' with fate and our allotted pleasures has a price .Find one and i might join but i'm certain there is'nt one . People often pretend they're not hungover . If you eat before or while drinking you may not get drunk at all but why drink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I don't get hangovers after drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jaysus I had a skinful yesterday but feel 'jovial' today despite the hangover!

Just need a ride now and I'll be grand :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I feel awful now, not sure its a hangover but had 8 cans of Royal Dutch on Friday and must have drank one or 2 too fast as got sick :eek: . Still don't feel great and I'm putting it down to either a hangover or something else, I'd be used to that amount though so I am not 100% blaming the booze :P.
    The hangovers do get worse though, I'm only 23 and I would have put back much more even 2 years ago and have been ok, :( .
    Love the booze but its a day to recover these days I find most of the time, and its horrible :(

Nick

It's not that simple. Generally if I drink when I'm happy I get happier. When I'm down and drink I get downer. That's the usual but there's a lot of exceptions. I don't drink and get down every time. It has an indirect and inconsistent effect on mood for most people.
    As far as I'm concerned for it is that simple. Many people are depressed and full of anxiety the day after a heavy nights session.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

As far as I'm concerned for it is that simple. Many people are depressed and full of anxiety the day after a heavy nights session.

How much do you drink on your one night a week Teddy?

I reckon the only way to stop those kinds of feelings is to cut back a little bit maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Classic FEAR

I reckon the only way to stop those kinds of feelings is to cut back a little bit maybe?
    Well last night I had 8 cans from about 10 - 1230. Then was in Bucks till 3.30. Got a few double vodkas and pints. What's kind of annoying is I never seem drunk to people, yet I always get blackouts. For example, no idea leaving or getting home.

Classic FEAR
    The F.E.A.R is more about the anxiety though, am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pigman2000

yeah, fear stylee - just watch whitnail & i for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If something makes you depressed and anxious, why are you still doing it? Paying a huge amount of money every week to mess with your liver and make yourself depressed/anxious doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Well last night I had 8 cans from about 10 - 1230. Then was in Bucks till 3.30. Got a few double vodkas and pints. What's kind of annoying is I never seem drunk to people, yet I always get blackouts. For example, no idea leaving or getting home.

Yeah, i'd say all you can do is cut back on the volume of the booze man. Your body is like any other machine...after a while the various processes get less effective. That's why when we start boozing, after that initial patch where you get used to it, the majority of us can drink a good bit when we are 19/19/20 etc...wake up the morning with a bounce in our step and do it all again.

As time goes on, you ask the body to deal with a good volume of alcohol it gets less efficient, liver and kidneys take some damage and the hangovers get worse because you can't get rid of the booze the way you used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

As time goes on, you ask the body to deal with a good volume of alcohol it gets less efficient, liver and kidneys take some damage and the hangovers get worse because you can't get rid of the booze the way you used to.
    Not just that, its better to take the time to savour the alcohol and use it to enhance the mood and enjoyment of the company you're with. I just don't get how skulling a can every twenty minutes for hours on end is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That's a hell of a lot of alcohol. You do realise this right? Half that at least and see how you get on. You are basically poisoning yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

That is a LOT of alcohol in a short amount of time :eek: It's no wonder you feel like crap!

• Advertisement

I have to disagree. I drink once a week if even and feel depressed to bits the next day.
    I'm not judging you Teddy, I was just saying its common amongst habitual drinkers. Same with binge drinkers.

How much would you drink when you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

paddyandy wrote: »
    Even very wealthy people get hangovers and depressions

At the risk of sounding like a tosser, Wealth <> happiness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I've tried every trick and angle with booze and none of them work THOUGH there were occasions when i though i had found one .Even very wealthy people get hangovers and depressions .People play around with the idea that there is a way .....but there is'nt and it would have been found a long time ago .ANY form of cheatin' with fate and our allotted pleasures has a price .Find one and i might join but i'm certain there is'nt one . People often pretend they're not hungover . If you eat before or while drinking you may not get drunk at all but why drink?

Try smoking a joint instead Paddy, you may find it works better for you.

rossc007 wrote: »
    Even very wealthy people get hangovers and depressions

At the risk of sounding like a tosser, Wealth <> happiness
    Vs you can't buy happiness.

Material things might make you happy, but it's not to say you enjoy your work or are happy with every other aspect of your life.

Hangover usually have one significant side effect for me - an unbelievable craving for Wham bars

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Hangover usually have one significant side effect for me - an unbelievable craving for Wham bars
    And for me, hangover sex :p

Then a fry and some fresh air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

A depressant is any agent which has a depressive or sedative effect on one's physiology. When used in this technical sense it does not refer to psychological depression, whether or not you find yourself depressed after consuming alcohol.

For some reason people defend the innaccurate understanding of the word like a zealot defending their faith, despite the obvious fact that they have never researched it one jot.

Abi wrote: »
    And for me, hangover sex :p

Then a fry and some fresh air.

So it's a case of blow your beans then eat some? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The F.E.A.R is more about the anxiety though, am I right?

Teddy Tedson Possibly where you are now – you might have realised that your drinking is causing more problems than it’s worth, and that you’re probably drinking to much. You've noticed your health is suffering and no doubt your feeling all anxious & depressed,common withdrawal symptoms from a heavy nights drinking,Unfortunately it is important to fully acknowledge the consequences of your drinking.Give your self some time from drinking alcohol,possibly a month or six weeks and then see how your feeling,Your mind & body need a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't drink vodka anymore - drank it for years but about 18 months before I stopped, I found the hangovers it gave me were hellish, physically and mentally. No other drink does that to me though, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'd be the same if I just sat around the house feeling sorry for myself.

My advice is get up off your ass and do something active. I always find a good country walk to be a great hangover reliever.
    I do not recommend going shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Is it an age thing?

I think age has a lot to do with it. Also, slow and steady wins the race, anything more than two pints an hour makes hangovers more severe, drinking shorts when your already drunk is bad too, I follow this advice about 70% of the time. The only hangover cures that work for me now are sugar and caffeinated drinks, a good much too, before smoking ridiculous amounts of weed makes the hangover a breeze but that will **** you up in other ways. Anyway,nowadays my hangovers are hell compared to before it's just a matter of finding ways to minimise the hell,or actually give up drink:rolleyes:.

I'd be the same if I just sat around the house feeling sorry for myself.

My advice is get up off your ass and do something active. I always find a good country walk to be a great hangover reliever.
    I do not recommend going shopping.

My favourite hangover cure is to actually lie around all day on the couch, going out for a walk would be my idea of torture!

Might crack a couple off too :p

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Try smoking a joint instead Paddy, you may find it works better for you.

How would a coffin- jockey know what works for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, fresh air and exercise, even if it's the last thing you feel like, does help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement