Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol induced depression

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My advice is get up off your ass and do something active. I always find a good country walk to be a great hangover reliever.
    I think if I went outside the day after a drinking session, I'd probably fall into the ditch. A nice country walk may be nice if you're only very mildly hungover, but the idea of sticking on rain gear and heading off down the laneway when you're really hungover is a form of self flagellation as far as I'm concerned. I can hardly make it town to the kitchen; I certainly wouldn't go further.

Pass me the remote control and leave me on the couch to die, is my general philosophy when I'm hungover.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Abi wrote: »
    Vs you can't buy happiness.

Material things might make you happy, but it's not to say you enjoy your work or are happy with every other aspect of your life.

You can choose where to be miserable .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

The hangover is mostly because of dehydration, Paracetamol and a pint of water before bed is the best thing, easier said than done when pissed as a fart though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Luckily I get giddy mostly when having a few drinks. Once in a while I start to feel like ****. I'll probably end up hanging myself on one of the bad days. Life will go on. To be honest I'm done with giving a **** anymore. It's all the same. Some times you have to ask yourself what's the point. Why do we bother.

They took Sadness and renamed it Depression and new Industries and fields of Commerce were born .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

paddyandy wrote: »
    How would a coffin- jockey know what works for me .

You don't get hangovers when you smoke. So no need for any hangover-avoidance measures. Try it if you don't believe me. The coffin-jockey compels you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

They took Sadness and renamed it Depression and new Industries and fields of Commerce were born .

People who have suffered from depression would find that insulting I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Do you suffer from schizophrenia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Luckily I get giddy mostly when having a few drinks. Once in a while I start to feel like ****. I'll probably end up hanging myself on one of the bad days. Life will go on. To be honest I'm done with giving a **** anymore. It's all the same. Some times you have to ask yourself what's the point. Why do we bother.

DRINK LESS!!!

• Advertisement

darokane wrote: »
    Do you suffer from schizophrenia?

No actually i quite enjoy it but i've never figured out what it really is in plain words .

coolbeans wrote: »
    DRINK LESS!!!
    Jesus, I just read my post back after you quoted it. Over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

TT Anxiety ruins many people’s lives, and lessens the enjoyment of it for most of us. It’s focus can be anything, from the seemingly trivial to the life threatening,Anxiety arises as a result of our interpretations of a situation as being in some way threatening or unpleasant. This is then combined with our perception of our ability to cope with that threat.Coupled with some simple relaxation techniques like keeping aware of your breathing, you can soon lessen your anxiety to a tolerable level. If you can adjust the way you interpret the world, and thus not feel so worried about it,You can go on to have quite a fullfilling and enjoyable life, its well worth the bother.

A very handy term depression that lives comfortably in the realm of the Absurd .Sorrow is Sorrow and mostly the reasons can be identified though not always and there are genuine 'depressions' as somebody who hung round on the looney fringes for years i am a ''bit of an expert ''

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brock landers

Have been in this hangover depression state one too many times before, waking up in bits in a cold bedroom, looking out at a grey miserable dublin..usual solution was go back to bed or the pub.

leaving Eire a few yrs ago to go work abroad is the best thing I ever did, it allows you to broaden your horizons and focus on other areas or perhaps do some soul searching...alcohol is so ingrained in Irish culture and society that its hard see past getting sh!tfaced week in week out.

leaving Eire a few yrs ago to go work abroad is the best thing I ever did, it allows you to broaden your horizons and focus on other areas or perhaps do some soul searching...alcohol is so ingrained in Irish culture and society that its hard see past getting sh!tfaced week in week out.
    I think you have lost touch with "Eire"a little since you've left.

It's very easy to get by without drinking in Dublin. In fact, I really cut down on my drinking when I moved to Dublin for about a year last year.

I don't know if it's the recession, or maybe the Celtic tiger made young people more broadminded in some ways, but Ireland does not still have the one-tracked, alcoholic culture that some people claim it once had. Aand I'm not particularly convinced it did either; the pioneer association is a remarkably strong association even today amongst older people. Clearly there has long been more to life in Ireland than getting shitfaced.

Irish people are probably more sporty and exposed to global cultures than ever before, I think your opinion of Irish culture is a little out-dated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 brock landers

later10 wrote: »
    I think you have lost touch with "Eire"a little since you've left.

It's very easy to get by without drinking in Dublin. In fact, I really cut down on my drinking when I moved to Dublin for about a year last year.

I don't know if it's the recession, or maybe the Celtic tiger made young people more broadminded in some ways, but Ireland does not still have the one-tracked, alcoholic culture that some people claim it once had. Aand I'm not particularly convinced it did either; the pioneer association is a remarkably strong association even today amongst older people. Clearly there has long been more to life in Ireland than getting shitfaced.

Irish people are probably more sporty and exposed to global cultures than ever before, I think your opinion of Irish culture is a little out-dated.

I think it was the lure of creamy pints of guinness that got me, or else my personal situation, a merry go round of shiftwork, gym, pub, depression, and this made having a love-life difficult which made things twice as bad.

On another note, I do come home pretty regular and as far as I can see, not much has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just because your blood sugar and other chemicals in your body are out of order because you drank too much and weed out all the salt in your body doesn't mean you are depressed.
    Real depression is a state when you can't even leave the bed or go to the toilet because your body won't let you.
    No offence OP but calling a self-inflicted 24h mood swing that is cured with greasy food and sleep "depression" is offensive to people with the real disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Jesus paddyandy, you are some man for talking monstrous reams of ****e but if you can't understand a difference between sadness and depression there is definitely something amiss with your mental acuity.

"Depression" as a word doesn't even solely mean what you think it does.

So fair play, another fantastic example of the level of ignorance you can bring to a thread. I guess we should do away with any form of medicine, as it was just invented and given a name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Now that sounds like attention seeking Teddy. Seriously if drink makes you feel this bad then stop drinking.
    Majority of people I know feel like ****e for a few hours but not depressed.
    Personally when I did drink I never got hangovers.

hondasam wrote: »
    I think you were doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I love being drunk but I hate hangovers. It's one of life's many problems.

later10 wrote: »
    I think you were doing it wrong.

Nah I would usually be sick before I went to sleep so no hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

from my expierence , depression and heavy drinking are very related - most people who develop severe drink problems , soon realise they also suffer from some form of depression , from mild to chronic - my advice would be, if you suffer from any form of severe depression , stay clear of alchol , until problem is solved by medics - mild/moderate drinking is grand for most "Normal" , well balanced folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I always get the fear of a Sunday night. Probably a combination of the weekends overindulgence and the thoughts of another week in my fabulous job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Try a shot of "Green Dragon", it'll sort you right out Teddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Who's "they"?

And all those people who have been so unwell they can barely function are just sad/sorrowful? Guess they should just cheer up and they'll be grand, eh?

Anyway, I believe alcohol can cause some people temporary physical, mental and emotional "downs" which have the same symptoms as depression. I don't think saying that does a disservice to those who have the clinical illness, but obviously it's not the same thing either seeing as one passes, the other is longer-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Friend of mine is on the slippery slope to alcoholism. He's been unemployed for a few years and cant seem to get it together to fill his time constructively. Instead of tackling his problems he gets pretty hammered most nights and because he's hungover the next day he hasnt got the wherewithal to do anything about them. So he ends up depressed and bored and feeling hopeless about his life and the only thing he can think of to relieve that feeling is more drink. Its a classic viscious circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Red Hand wrote: »
    I don't get hangovers after drinking.

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Hang over cures ....

Drink a litlre of water before your first alcohol drink as otherwise the first alcohol drink will be for thirst = bad idea.
    I've noticed less severe hang over since I started doing this.

Best way to do this is sipping a litre bottle of water on the way to the pub. Another trick is set a reminder on your phone "water" to go at 1 am. Bars will happily give you a pint of water after last orders.

Lastly leave a glass / bottle water beside your bed before you go out.

Next day don't drink orange juice as it puts further strain on the liver. A borocca or the like is better.

hondasam wrote: »
    Now that sounds like attention seeking Teddy. Seriously if drink makes you feel this bad then stop drinking.
    Majority of people I know feel like ****e for a few hours but not depressed.
    An over the top comment for sure. A mixture of tiredness, frustration and anger. Teddy sorry for that.

People are saying that depression is the wrong word, and I suppose they're right. But the symptoms I'm talking about are the exact same, I think Dudess has said it a lot better than I ever could.
    Anyway, I don't know why I keep making the same mistake in starting threads about alcohol in AH. They don't help the anxiety. If I talk about this to my friends they all tend to agree with my viewpoint.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Try a shot of "Green Dragon", it'll sort you right out Teddy.
    Had to google that one!

I actually smoked a fair bit of weed last week for the first time in so long. I felt so sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

OP,If I go out on a binge I am like yourself the next day.Sometimes I'll go for months without drinking and have a few and i'm like this the next day.Any other given day i'm grand.It doesn't mean ya need to see someone or the other crap people are posting.I know people that have stopped drinking for this reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

and here what is 'the fear'???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I have come to realize through ageing (gracefully I might add)*, that if I overdo the boozing on a Saturday night, I will feel like death until about the following Tuesday. I have also come to accept the fact that me being hungover is not an exuse to wallow in my own self pity. Just get on with things, you could be dead tomorrow.

*Debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

and here what is 'the fear'???

Turn out the lights the night after a heavy session and it's like there are other people in the room, spiders in your bed etc, it's basically like being scared of the dark again :(

Dudess : That's a very dismissive way to treat my post on Sadness and Depression .One can so easily pass for the other and very little time is ever given by a Psychiatrist .No patient ever got more than twenty minutes .It would be much too expensive . I did understand the processing years ago and i'm sure it's no better now . Easier to put a handy label on a problem that is in the home and bad surroundings .I saw it years ago in london where banjaxed individuals were shunted through the system and sent home with a scrip .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

thebaz wrote: »
    from my expierence , depression and heavy drinking are very related - most people who develop severe drink problems , soon realise they also suffer from some form of depression , from mild to chronic - my advice would be, if you suffer from any form of severe depression , stay clear of alchol , until problem is solved by medics - mild/moderate drinking is grand for most "Normal" , well balanced folks
    Some people self medicate using alcohol, alcohol abuse is a underlining problem since its really only covering up depression and I do agree do not go near drink and totally get your depression sorted :)

An over the top comment for sure. A mixture of tiredness, frustration and anger. Teddy sorry for that.

People are saying that depression is the wrong word, and I suppose they're right. But the symptoms I'm talking about are the exact same, I think Dudess has said it a lot better than I ever could.
    Anyway, I don't know why I keep making the same mistake in starting threads about alcohol in AH. They don't help the anxiety. If I talk about this to my friends they all tend to agree with my viewpoint.

Depression is probably the wrong word, you don't get over depression once the hangover is gone if you know what I mean.
    Depression is something that you have for a period of time, not for a few hours.
    Your friends know and like you,of course they will agree with you and tbh if you are saying to them what I have commented on then I'm not surprised they agree with you.
    Try just having a few bottles when you go out, drink for the little buzz but not to get pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

darokane wrote: »
    The hangover is mostly because of dehydration, Paracetamol and a pint of water before bed is the best thing, easier said than done when pissed as a fart though.
    And about 10 can of coke cooled in the fridge

Ah hangovers haven't had One for about 2 yrs :)

• Advertisement

Wattle wrote: »
    Friend of mine is on the slippery slope to alcoholism. He's been unemployed for a few years and cant seem to get it together to fill his time constructively. Instead of tackling his problems he gets pretty hammered most nights and because he's hungover the next day he hasnt got the wherewithal to do anything about them. So he ends up depressed and bored and feeling hopeless about his life and the only thing he can think of to relieve that feeling is more drink. Its a classic viscious circle.

If he carries on long enough he'll forget what feeling normal is like .

kfallon wrote: »
    Turn out the lights the night after a heavy session and it's like there are other people in the room, spiders in your bed etc, it's basically like being scared of the dark again :(

"The Fear" is more thinking you did stupid things on a night out but you cant remember so you come up with things you did and think you offended people etc when the vast majority of the time you actually did nothing.

I never used to get the "drink depression" when I was younger but in the last while its been hitting me much worse, its at its worst I find if you have a bad memory of the night or after a full weekend session.

I had a good feed of drink yesterday evening/night (around 10 cans and a few jd and cokes) and surprisingly no real drink depression hit me today, virtually no hangover either which was a bonus, a fry and a can in the early afternoon and I was like new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Dudess : That's a very dismissive way to treat my post on Sadness and Depression .One can so easily pass for the other and very little time is ever given by a Psychiatrist .No patient ever got more than twenty minutes .It would be much too expensive . I did understand the processing years ago and i'm sure it's no better now . Easier to put a handy label on a problem that is in the home and bad surroundings .I saw it years ago in london where banjaxed individuals were shunted through the system and sent home with a scrip .

There's a bit of a difference. One makes you feel a little bit blue, the other seriously impares how people function day to day. One passes in a couple of days, the other can hound people for years. One can make people kill themselves. They're kinda hard to get a bit mixed up.

Aoifums wrote: »
    There's a bit of a difference. One makes you feel a little bit blue, the other seriously impares how people function day to day. One passes in a couple of days, the other can hound people for years. One can make people kill themselves. They're kinda hard to get a bit mixed up.

Not at all .People stay sad for years over the loss of a spouse or poor health .It is called depression when no reason is found but that does not mean there is'nt one .

"The Fear" is more thinking you did stupid things on a night out but you cant remember so you come up with things you did and think you offended people etc when the vast majority of the time you actually did nothing.

I never used to get the "drink depression" when I was younger but in the last while its been hitting me much worse, its at its worst I find if you have a bad memory of the night or after a full weekend session.

I had a good feed of drink yesterday evening/night (around 10 cans and a few jd and cokes) and surprisingly no real drink depression hit me, virtually no hangover either which was a bonus, a fry and a can in the early afternoon and I was like new.
    Some people refer to it that way, but I tend to agree with Kfallon.
    When I talk about getting the fear it's nothing to do with thinking I did something bad last night.
    I.E Being scared ****less at 1 in the morning walking downstairs to get a glass of water. Again, it comes with age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... People are saying that depression is the wrong word, and I suppose they're right. But the symptoms I'm talking about are the exact same ...
    I don't know how many of the posters are qualified to diagnose or differentiate between "alcohol induced depression" and some form of "real depression" whatever that is, but having read through the posts I'd hazard a guess at few if any. If alcohol is causing you problems in any aspect of your life, stop drinking, consult your medic and ask for a referral to a specialist, a person or an organisation.
    ... Anyway, I don't know why I keep making the same mistake in starting threads about alcohol in AH. They don't help the anxiety. If I talk about this to my friends they all tend to agree with my viewpoint.
    I agree with your viewpoint and I agree you should post somewhere other that in AH. I also believe you should talk to your friends who after all know you better than we do.

If thoughts of dying, or your feelings of uselessness / helplessness / futility persist, please talk to your friends and be guided by their wisdom. Any of us on our own is pretty weak; joined up with some friends we can gain the power and support we need to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Not at all .People stay sad for years over the loss of a spouse or poor health .It is called depression when no reason is found but that does not mean there isn't one .

And death of a loved one can be enough to trigger depression. No it's not. You can have a reason and be depressed becuase of it.

Some people refer to it that way, but I tend to agree with Kfallon.
    When I talk about getting the fear it's nothing to do with thinking I did something bad last night.
    I.E Being scared ****less at 1 in the morning walking downstairs to get a glass of water. Again, it comes with age.

I've never felt anything like that after drinking, worst is just feeling a bit sorry for myself and maybe my version of "the fear".

Aoifums wrote: »
    And death of a loved one can be enough to trigger depression. No it's not. You can have a reason and be depressed becuase of it.
    Some people can't deal with such loss that's Sadness .Some people might be too strongly bonded but it's still sadness .Not Clinical stuff .

I've never felt anything like that after drinking, worst is just feeling a bit sorry for myself and maybe my version of "the fear".
    The worst has to be seeing the rats running up the walls.
    To be honest I'd love that drug that doesn't let you drink. I'd take it every Saturday morning so I couldn't fall off the wagon.
    Anyway I'm locking this thread now, they don't do anybody any good.

The worst has to be seeing the rats running up the walls.
    To be honest I'd love that drug that doesn't let you drink. I'd take it every Saturday morning so I couldn't fall off the wagon.
    Anyway I'm locking this thread now, they don't do anybody any good.

You need to drink a serious amount of drink over a good few days for this type of fear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement