Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory and all that sort of stuff...

• 12-02-2012 4:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have a tried and trusted method to tell us when we are losing it and which website .An all rounder self assessment test and not just recall .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

All I know of or am fsmiliar with is the memory clinic in James Hopital Dublin..

Link here...

http://www.stjames.ie/Departments/DepartmentsA-Z/M/MedicinefortheElderly/DepartmentOverview/

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Seriously ..i'd like a brain scan as well ,ill mention it to the gp if and when i think of it .Are they reliable ? I worry about it .The students in trinner offered a test a few years ago but refused to give me the results during pre-test conversation so i never bothered .I feel a need to really know even if it's not good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Well paddyandy, if you were worried about not getting the results a few years ago and you still haven't lost it ........... it could be argued that you are either (1) a hypocondriac or (2) a genuine fruitcake.
    Being (1) means that you are also (2)
    But being (2) does not necessarily mean that you are also (1)

But seriously, why are you worrying? Is there any rational reason other than fear? None of us might wake up tomorrow but we cannot let the fear of that spike our delight in living today.

“The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself". Franklin D. Roosevelt ..........

If this is a genuine post then I hope you get everything OK'd wherever you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

paddyandy wrote: »
    ...... ..i'd like a brain scan as well .......

I've had that

It didnt help one bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can empathise with the OP's question. I don't know what can be done about concern over muddled memory, lack of concentration etc. I think probably there isn't really a problem unless other people notice.

I never had a good memory (which seriously impacted on my ability to do exams, even though I knew I was at least normally intelligent), now it is significantly worse. This is not just the 'going into a room and wondering why I am here' or forgetting where I put my keys, or not being able to remember people's names - I can forget the names of people I know really well, and have known for years; the name just isn't there when I need to say it.

While teaching I sometimes feel as though I am in freefall, I just hope long practise keeps producing all the words I need as I talk. I daren't think too carefully as that is the best way of coming to a total blank.

I cannot remember conversations - I remember that the conversation happened maybe the previous day, but often I have no idea what conclusion was reached. I can read a book with no memory of having read it before - even though I am pretty sure I must have. Then a tiny incident in the plot will seem familiar and I may recall it, but I can read to the end with no further memory of how the story ended.

I am now finding it pretty well impossible to learn new stuff, I do something on the computer, maybe, but instantly forget what I did so I do not get any further forward.

In spite of all this, while it is very frustrating, no-one has commented that I seem absent minded or expressed any concern about my memory. So I put it down to age and stress. I find if I am writing I can maintain a series of ideas that make sense, in the same way I can plan or design something provided I make little sketches - stuff I used be able to follow through in my head.

I have decided not to worry about it. Worrying will not improve it, and if someone notices a problem then I will do something about it.

I met up with someone that I had not seen for many years, and while nothing was said by her husband I felt that all was not right. She told me the exact same story three times over a few hours, each time as though it was something she had just thought of, and there was a sense of vagueness about her that was disconcerting. I had the feeling that she was developing a serious problem and reading between the lines, her husband knew. I am pretty sure that I don't behave like that.

I am not trying to dismiss your worries OP, and I know it is frustrating when people say 'oh that's normal' and you are sure you have a problem. Maybe you do, probably you do not. Keep reading stuff - look up this site http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_10_signs_of_alzheimers.asp
    there is some very interesting and useful information. And if you are not convinced, then talk to your doctor, if only to ease your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Looksee ; My Friends and Acquaintances tell me nothing worth knowing most of the time and a useful friend might .A lot of what you wrote i have .I 'm terrified of the mind suddenly going blank which happens from time to time and i'm devastated when it does .I had to turn down a good job several years ago and i ached for days over it .Brain neurons can't be healed once the stop firing but i want to know how bad i am .It's the not knowing that annoys me most .

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

here you are paddy. Theres an Alzimhers test on this. And lots of info. Don't worry about the tablets bit. Let us know your score?

http://www.foodforthebrain.org/

Hm, that was interesting, I scored 55! (slightly above average, not at risk!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It asks me if I agree to them storing and using my data for their research, but when I don't agree they won't let me take the test, so in my opinion, it is not really 'free', they want my data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Mech1

sorry guys and gals just took the test while browsing through here.
    age 44
    male
    4 pints in pub starting 5.30pm
    then 5 cans at home till now 2am.
    score 56.
    just informing you as a example.
    nite.

• Advertisement

Mech1 wrote: »
    sorry guys and gals just took the test while browsing through here.
    age 44
    male
    4 pints in pub starting 5.30pm
    then 5 cans at home till now 2am.
    score 56.
    just informing you as a example.
    nite.

Hey junior! Why are you not back in after hours? By the amount you have taken on board you should be sober. 81/2 hours drinking 13 units ........ so there should be 4 units left in you. After 2 pints you should do better than that. Now where's my false teeth and glasses? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Hey mech! You and me! 400 posts on the same night and the same thread! Whats the odds against that?:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

55 for me too. I always have a problem with these speed test things though. My approach to things is generally careful and methodical. years of working in labs does that to ya. I prefer to be slow and right rather then quick and blowed up so with the speed tests I was double and triple checking myself. Wonder what score I'd get if I just went hell for leather.
    I'd love to see how the results are interpreted.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I didn't worry about the information collection, just put in a false name, correct birth year and made up but plausible email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Ahem....don't wish to brag, but I scored 70! Does this mean I'm one hell of a sharp cookie or just damn fast with me mouse:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I got 65 in the test. I wouldn't say my mind is particularly sharp, but I am deffo swift at using the mousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I forget what I got :o

Advertisement