Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non iodised salt for sinus rinse solution

Options
  • 12-02-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi

Anyone know where you can buy non iodised salt? I need it for sinus rinses as I suffer with chronic sinus infections. I use the neilmed one but it is so expensive, and my consultant in hospital told me how to make my own, but need non iodised salt which I can't find anywhere. Any suggestions? I live in Dublin

Thanks!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Just get rocksalt, it's pretty common.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eims83

Just get rocksalt, it's pretty common.

Yeah rocksalt would be amazing for your sinuses, no pain at all!! lol :D

Eims83 wrote: »
    Yeah rocksalt would be amazing for your sinuses, no pain at all!! lol :D
    Woops, I meant coarse salt.

EDIT actually, maybe I did mean rocksalt. Saxa have stuff labelled as such.
    saxa_top1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I use any salt? What difference does it make? I never heard of it having to be iodised salt - but I think Lidl do sell an iodised salt in a box of around 1 kg.

Personally Im happy to use Saxa or anything I have to hand. Works great too but boy is it the most horrible process of streaming and burning! Havent needed it so much since I took up swimming a couple of years ago, reckon the chlorine is doing the job now.

Personally Im happy to use Saxa or anything I have to hand. Works great too but boy is it the most horrible process of streaming and burning!
    If it burns then you have the salt concentration wrong.

The non-iodized salt is supposed to be better because people say the iodine causes irritation. Personally, I haven't really noticed the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If it burns then you have the salt concentration wrong.

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks everyone, I've been using the homemade one with normal table salt and baking soda, which can be fine when sinuses are doing ok, but I have infections up to 9 times a year and then it's too painful to use the homemade and have to use the Nielmed. Asked my consultant and he said that, like was mentioned above, it's because of the iodine in in table salt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Nielmed. Never heard of that. Any good? Use the Sterimar meself.

Noticed also the picture of the guy snorting from a dispenser? Story there?
    Sinuses are above and around the nose, not reachable by snorting stuff like.

squod wrote: »
    Nielmed. Never heard of that. Any good? Use the Sterimar meself.

Noticed also the picture of the guy snorting from a dispenser? Story there?
    Sinuses are above and around the nose, not reachable by snorting stuff like.

Nielmed Sinus rinse is a saline solution that you mix with cool previously boiled water and literally squirt up your nose so comes out the other side. Sounds awful and takes a bit of getting used to, but it does work, my issue is that I need to use it several times a day so can work out quite expensive (around €25 for bottle and 60 sachets),

I never found sterimar any good personally as its only a small amount of saline, but everyone is different. It might just not suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Eims83 wrote: »
    Nielmed Sinus rinse is a saline solution that you mix with cool previously boiled water and literally squirt up your nose so comes out the other side. Sounds awful and takes a bit of getting used to, but it does work, my issue is that I need to use it several times a day so can work out quite expensive (around €25 for bottle and 60 sachets),

I never found sterimar any good personally as its only a small amount of saline, but everyone is different. It might just not suit me.

''squirt up your nose'' bit is what gets me. Have you tried putting your head in an upside down position (leaning over a bed) and doing a sinus rinse ?

Nasal passages are below and to the front of the sinuses like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement