Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paintwork peeling in bathroom - ceiling

• 12-02-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Would be grateful to anyone who can advise on peeling paintwork on bathroom ceiling.

Was peeling about 1 year after new bathroom installed, so I cleared peeling areas which revealed bare plaster.

I used undercoat and then specific bathroom ceiling paint, however is peeling again after only 1 week in exactly the same place...

Should I have used primer instead of undercoat?

Or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

The undercoat has sealed off the plaster, emulsion is permeable and lets the plaster breath. After you undercoated the ceiling you sealed plaster, the emulsion is just lying on top of undercoat.

Moisture is getting in behind emulsion and making it flake again...

Try and scape off emulsion and sand down where you undercoated...Have a look at link

Zinsser

Try and finish ceiling in a matt emulsion as any other finish like soft sheen or vinyl silk will promote condensating...

Goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have a similar problem. Had no problem with condensation in my bathroom for 9 years until I painted it with soft sheen paint last year. Now I have condensation running on the walls, ceiling paint peeling & mildew around the ceiling. Is this caused by the soft sheen paint?

It will promote it if you use Softsheen, Dulux do a bathroom paint that is meant to resist high humidity. Its a soft sheen finish though. Do you have a vent in bathroom..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Goodne wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have a similar problem. Had no problem with condensation in my bathroom for 9 years until I painted it with soft sheen paint last year. Now I have condensation running on the walls, ceiling paint peeling & mildew around the ceiling. Is this caused by the soft sheen paint?

Something else has changed here, is your extactor fan working etc?

The moisture on the walls is being cause by the humidity in the air & temperature of the walls. The paint you put on this will not alter this.

I don't have a fan in the bathroom but it does have a vent. Nothing has changed in the bathroom, same over the bath tap shower, shower curtain, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Goodne wrote: »
    I don't have a fan in the bathroom
    there you go..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mad m wrote: »
    The undercoat has sealed off the plaster, emulsion is permeable and lets the plaster breath. After you undercoated the ceiling you sealed plaster, the emulsion is just lying on top of undercoat.

Moisture is getting in behind emulsion and making it flake again...

Try and scape off emulsion and sand down where you undercoated...Have a look at link

Zinsser

Try and finish ceiling in a matt emulsion as any other finish like soft sheen or vinyl silk will promote condensating...

Goodluck.

It will promote it if you use Softsheen, Dulux do a bathroom paint that is meant to resist high humidity. Its a soft sheen finish though. Do you have a vent in bathroom..?

You say to use Zinnsser and then "normal emulsion" as a finish coat,but now you suggest using Dulux bathroom paint.

This will quite possibly confuse people who read this?:

PS,this is Dulux Bathroom Paint.

The tin says that its Moisture/Steam Resistant and Soft Sheen,(but you suggest soft sheen causes/promotes moisture??)

The freshly plastered bathroom and ensuite ceilings,in my house,were primed with 20% diluted normal white paint,and then 3 good coats of the Dulux Bathroom paint were rollered on (as per advized here on this forum,and by several paint shops and painters too).

20% Diluted primer coat was rollered on and left for a day and a half,then 8 hours drying time between each coat of Dulux bathroom paint.Then the final coat of Dulux bathroom paint was left to dry for over 24 hours before any showers or the bath were used.

So is all that wrong,and all the people who advized that wrong too?:confused:

Im also going to get my kitchen ceiling painted with the Dulux bathroom paint (steam/moisture/heat rising from kettle,gas hob,dishwasher and sink)

patg wrote: »
    Would be grateful to anyone who can advise on peeling paintwork on bathroom ceiling.

Was peeling about 1 year after new bathroom installed, so I cleared peeling areas which revealed bare plaster.

I used undercoat and then specific bathroom ceiling paint, however is peeling again after only 1 week in exactly the same place...

Should I have used primer instead of undercoat?

Or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks in advance...

Can I ask if the celing was bare/fresh plaster or did you paint over old/existing paint?

You also say that you used an "undercoat".

If it was fresh/bare plastered ceiling,then did you use a "diluted down" emulsion paint? (thats a primer coat for fresh plastered ceilings/walls)

Or did you apply the undercoat directly to fresh/bare plastered ceiling?

Also what brand/type of bathroom paint?

Thanks.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    You say to use Zinnsser and then "normal emulsion" as a finish coat,but now you suggest using Dulux bathroom paint.

This will quite possibly confuse people who read this?:

PS,this is Dulux Bathroom Paint.

The tin says that its Moisture/Steam Resistant and Soft Sheen,(but you suggest soft sheen causes/promotes moisture??)

I'm not trying to confuse anyone, but softsheen or vinyl silk does promote condensation especially in a bathroom. I didnt say to use Dulux Im only saying what it says on the tin. I said its meant to be used in bathrooms. I was stateing to the OP that it was a softsheen finish just incase he went out and bought it...

The bathroom paint was for the walls and not the ceiling thats why I said use a flat finish for the ceiling. The Zinsser is waterbased...The OP used Oil based undercoat to seal up plaster, when he painted over this with normal emulsion this will just sit on the undercoat, which is not great especially in a bathroom...

Its great Paddy you got great advise, but your bathroom could (im presuming) be bigger and have better ventilation than the OP....I've used the Dulux bathroom paint, and what can happen is you get streaks down wall over a time when high moisture is present.

Paddy147

If your going to paint your kitchen ceiling with that paint, ( I wouldnt) then wash down your kitchen ceiling first with sugarsoap as you will get grease on ceiling especially over the cooker.

• Advertisement

Paddy147

If your going to paint your kitchen ceiling with that paint, ( I wouldnt) then wash down your kitchen ceiling first with sugarsoap as you will get grease on ceiling especially over the cooker.

Can I as then what you would use or reccomend for over the kitchen area??

Its a new kitchen with a new lean to ceiling thats goes up to 12 feet in height.

Ceiling has diluted primer emulsion coat,and then 2 coats of normal Crown matt white paint.

What would you recommend then?

I'm not trying to confuse anyone, but softsheen or vinyl silk does promote condensation especially in a bathroom. I didnt say to use Dulux Im only saying what it says on the tin. I said its meant to be used in bathrooms. I was stateing to the OP that it was a softsheen finish just incase he went out and bought it...

The bathroom paint was for the walls and not the ceiling thats why I said use a flat finish for the ceiling. The Zinsser is waterbased...The OP used Oil based undercoat to seal up plaster, when he painted over this with normal emulsion this will just sit on the undercoat, which is not great especially in a bathroom...

Its great Paddy you got great advise, but your bathroom could (im presuming) be bigger and have better ventilation than the OP....I've used the Dulux bathroom paint, and what can happen is you get streaks down wall over a time when high moisture is present.

Are you saying that the Dulux Bathroom paint is only for walls then?

So have I done wrong by by getting it painted onto the bathroom/ensuite ceilings then??

@Paddy

I'd say your good to go...more or less 3 coats of good emulsion. Softsheen on a ceiling is never great in my opinion, one main reason is that is will show up any nibs,bumps,trowel marks left from plaster. Another reason is when filling any holes left from Electricans, soft sheen is not great for touching up polyfiller as it will burn through, you have to touch it up with a matt finish first.

Matt emulsion is great for hiding most of this....

Sure you have the height of the ceiling that doesnt warrant your bathroom paint.

BryanF wrote: »
    there you go..
    yes I see your point but I never had a fan in there & had no condensation problems for 9 yrs.

@Paddy

I'd say your good to go...more or less 3 coats of good emulsion. Softsheen on a ceiling is never great in my opinion, one main reason is that is will show up any nibs,bumps,trowel marks left from plaster. Another reason is when filling any holes left from Electricans, soft sheen is not great for touching up polyfiller as it will burn through, you have to touch it up with a matt finish first.

Matt emulsion is great for hiding most of this....

Sure you have the height of the ceiling that doesnt warrant your bathroom paint.

Ive added in a pic of the ceiling over the kitchen area,in my last post.
    What would you recommned for that ceiling then,with regards to heat and moisture?

Thanks.

Personally Id leave well enough alone, you've done all you can. anything else will be over kill.When your ceiling settles and little cracks appear you will be able to fill and touch up much better with matt emulsion rather than softsheen.

You have your extractor fan over the cooker. you have good ventilation with windows also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I think Mad M has summed it up Paddy your 3 coats of matt is all you need to do on the kitchen ceiling.

Also the softsheen on the bathroom ceiling will have water sitting on it as its water proof and you will get drips of cold water on youselffalling from the ceiling when in the shower.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I think Mad M has summed it up Paddy your 3 coats of matt is all you need to do on the kitchen ceiling.

Also the softsheen on the bathroom ceiling will have water sitting on it as its water proof and you will get drips of cold water on youselffalling from the ceiling when in the shower.

Thanks Robbie.

With regards the bathroom/ensuite ceilings..... what would you do?

Should I get something else painted on the ceilings now,instead of the Dulux bathroom paint?

PS-With regards repainting....Can you paint on normal matt emulsion back over soft sheen???

Thanks.

Unless its causing any problems like what Mad M said showing up bad plastering or getting drips of water when in the shower I'd just leave it untill your ready to redecorate it its not urgent.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Unless its causing any problems like what Mad M said showing up bad plastering or getting drips of water when in the shower I'd just leave it untill your ready to redecorate it its not urgent.

Thanks,but Im just curious to know what you would recommend for overpainting the bathroom/ensuite ceilings with,in the future.

Can matt emulsion be painted on over soft sheen??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Bababa

I had paint peeling over the shower In the bathroom. I scraped it down, sanded it...left it to dry off for 2 or 3
    Days and then gave it 2 or 3 coats of white undercoat. Looks fine so haven't given the whole ceiling a coat of emulsion yet.
    Also put another extractor fan in the shower. Heard someone say could be to do with having no insulation in the ceiling above shower that contributes to the condensation(heat from shower meets cold air above ceiling)... But I have no insulation up there and the job I did seems to have sorted the peeling paint. Don't get any dripping either. Also regrouted the tiles(some of the grout had cracked) and re-siliconed where needed

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thanks,but Im just curious to know what you would recommend for overpainting the bathroom/ensuite ceilings with,in the future.

Can matt emulsion be painted on over soft sheen??

Looking at that tin in the picture it migth be more than just a normal soft sheen
    paint it could be a bit like vinyl silk type of paint.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/227614/192597.JPG

If it was normal walls there would'nt be a problem putting matt over soft sheen but because its over a shower if you want to go 100% by the book you migth be better putting Bin 123 primer on first.
    I will look into it and get back to you.

Maybe mad m will give a second opinion.

Advertisement