Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet service provider xbox live connectivity problems?

Options
  • 12-02-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have been a member of xbox live for 3 years. Recently my parents decided to update our internet speed, and changed isp(internet service provider.) But since we got the new provider I have been unable to connect to xbox live on my xbox... My gold membership ran out just before I got the new isp but I should still be able to connect to xbox live, as a silver member right? Well I cant, it keeps saying, unable to connect to xbox live... I checked the network settings and the xboxcan see both my router and modem... I cant understand it, any solutions appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

who is your new isp ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Iirc with eircom in the past I've had to remove the firewall on the router to get onto live. Try that maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yep with eircom, you have to change your firewall to low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

who is your new isp ?

Sorry, bonehead mistake, obviously should have mentioned that. We were with perlico, and although the internet speed was awful(impossible to browse web and play xbox live simultaneously, obviously a problem in a house with a computer and 3 laptops on the go) We switched to eircom, and the internet speed is nothing short of outstanding, can download torrents in more than half the time it took before and can watch youtube without it constantly stuttering.

But since we have been with eircom, I cannot connect to xbox live

We have wireless n router, and a zyxel modem. The xbox can see both but connect to neither. Eircom are supposed to send us out a new router since we switched back but it hasnt arrived yet. Consequently, I have been unable to access the zyxel router homepage and move firewall to low

I just ran a connectivity test on xbox for xbox live and it said there was an ip address error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

ok on zyxel router 192.168.1.254

enter expert mode

click on "NAT"

go to service name list and scroll down and select "xbox live games" and click the enable button to right of that list.

That should get you going

Edit: Should have put to get to NAt u select sonfigure and then advanced and NAt option will show

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

ok on zyxel router 192.168.1.254

enter expert mode

click on "NAT"

go to service name list and scroll down and select "xbox live games" and click the enable button to right of that list.

That should get you going

Edit: Should have put to get to NAt u select sonfigure and then advanced and NAt option will show

Hmmmm, he may have to do this later but if he's getting an IP error then he's not even getting a connection to get a NAT error. It's failing when the Xbox tries to initially connect to the router.

You probably won't be able to do much with this until you get your new router and get access to the router settings. If you are getting an IP error, I'd get your security key reset and start using WPA/WPA2 protocols for a start. Can you wire in until you get the new router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

It sounds like your router is not giving the xbox an ip address. You say you are connecting wirelessly, did you change the password on the xbox to match the new router?

After an epic amount of fiddling with the netgear router settings(not the zyxel modem, still cant access that) i managed to get xbox live to connect to the netgear router! Only problem is that my nat settings are now strict... I have the nat settings open on the netgear router, but as I cant access the modem I presume thats whats causing the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You'll need top open the ports on your router to remove the strict NAT. The ports you'll need are;

•Port 88 (UDP)

•Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

•Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

•Port 80 (TCP)

You'll need to gain access to the modem/router to pop these bad boys in. Is it just strict NAT you're having a problem with?

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    You'll need top open the ports on your router to remove the strict NAT. The ports you'll need are;

•Port 88 (UDP)

•Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

•Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

•Port 80 (TCP)

You'll need to gain access to the modem/router to pop these bad boys in. Is it just strict NAT you're having a problem with?

Thank you very much for your help. I have opened these ports on the netgear router, and I still have strict NAT... You say " You'll need to gain access to the modem/route to pop these bad boys in . " As I previously stated I still can't access the ZyXEL modem, so I can't open the ports for NAT on that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

Right the first thing you need to do is restore the factory defaults on your xbox as it will still have your old connection settings

system settings
    network settings
    select your new network
    configure network
    advanced settings
    restore to factory defaults

this should sort the ip address issue

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rebeloution

hey,
    what model zyxel do you have ?

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/P-660HW-D1/Xbox_Live_360.htm

might be worth checking out this set up , portforward will have all models listed for zyxel
    so im sure you'll find your set up there.

Advertisement