Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt black paint for wooden gate

• 12-02-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a heavy duty Matt black paint to paint hardwood gates. Have been sanded and undercoated. I'm just looking for something that will be very strong wearing so it won't start chipping etc from active use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

tunner wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a heavy duty Matt black paint to paint hardwood gates. Have been sanded and undercoated. I'm just looking for something that will be very strong wearing so it won't start chipping etc from active use.

First off, does it have to be Black? Just I know from experience during the summer, Black will attract the sun more so than any other colour, the gates might crack or swell quicker with black on it...

Matt black won't be a great finish either for any type of weathering....Try and get a Gloss or a Satin Finish at least. Dulux do a Satin Exterior paint finish or try and finish it in a High exterior Gloss...

Just another note, how long has it been since you undercoated gates? After a couple of days you get this slimy type feel to anything that has been undercoated and left unfinished after a couple of days, the gloss will just slide off gates...So get your Gloss/Satin and give the gates another coat quick lick of undercoat then finish gates a day or so later....

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

It doesnt have Ro be Matt in colour but I hate gloss paint! Really don't want a shiny gate if you get me.

What's the next up from Matt? Eggshell?

Tunner

mad m wrote: »
    tunner wrote: »

First off, does it have to be Black? Just I know from experience during the summer, Black will attract the sun more so than any other colour, the gates might crack or swell quicker with black on it...

Matt black won't be a great finish either for any type of weathering....Try and get a Gloss or a Satin Finish at least. Dulux do a Satin Exterior paint finish or try and finish it in a High exterior Gloss...

Just another note, how long has it been since you undercoated gates? After a couple of days you get this slimy type feel to anything that has been undercoated and left unfinished after a couple of days, the gloss will just slide off gates...So get your Gloss/Satin and give the gates another coat quick lick of undercoat then finish gates a day or so later....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Satin is a mid sheen....

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

Is there a spray paint for wood that could be used?

Advertisement