Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New LED's Flickering

Options
  • 12-02-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all,

I did a search but haven't found this question anywhere. Hope it's not a repeat!
    I replaced all halogen bulbs with MR16 High power led's. Some are flickering, and one makes a buzzing sound. Had anyone experienced this? I'll contact the company and send them back - hopefully just a couple of duds. Otherwise very happy.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there might be an issue with electronic trafo minimum load

not really familiar with 12volt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

are they on a dimmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

No - not on a dimmer. And the halogens work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You need to match the transformers to the wattage of the LED's which are much lower than Halogens also you may need the correct transformers for LED's. Not all are suitable.
    Get the info off the existing units and post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Switch them for gu 10 led s , no transformer no problem. And generally much nicer light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

freddyuk wrote: »
    You need to match the transformers to the wattage of the LED's which are much lower than Halogens also you may need the correct transformers for LED's. Not all are suitable.
    Get the info off the existing units and post it here.

thanks - that's what the supplier has suggested. I got lower wattage leds than the halogens were to be on the safe side. Am hoping it's just a couple of dodgy bulbs.

Changing to gu10 is not an option - there are too many of them. Previous owners must have had shares in halogen bulb manufacturers.

I'll update when I get the info required.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Its because the LED bulbs dont take enough power from the transformers, which are probably switched mode, and need a certain minimum power being drawn from them to work properly. This minimum threshold is easily met with the halogen bulbs, but the LEDs just dont draw enough power for them to work. if you had a string of them in parallel they might, but not singly.

Bren C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

meemeep wrote: »
    thanks - that's what the supplier has suggested. I got lower wattage leds than the halogens were to be on the safe side. Am hoping it's just a couple of dodgy bulbs.
    To check, you will have to pull down a transformer from the roof and have a look. They will slide out of the gap in the ceiling for the fitting.
    Check the traffo ratings, it will probably 20-60w or something like that. If so, changing the bulbs will make no difference - all the traffos will need changing, or go gu10 led.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

All the responders are quite correct, if transformer is rated, say 20-60w and the LED is only 3w the transformer doesn't see there is a load to be fired but will continue to 'pulse' until it discovers a load to be powered. As for changing to GU10 its a very cheap conversion, the GU10 fly leads are less than €1 each and its just a matter of disconnecting the mains from the transformer and joining the lead direct to the mains power. (ensuring power is switched off before commencing work;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Mr Digger wrote: »
    All the responders are quite correct, if transformer is rated, say 20-60w and the LED is only 3w the transformer doesn't see there is a load to be fired but will continue to 'pulse' until it discovers a load to be powered. As for changing to GU10 its a very cheap conversion, the GU10 fly leads are less than €1 each and its just a matter of disconnecting the mains from the transformer and joining the lead direct to the mains power. (ensuring power is switched off before commencing work;))

The conversion might be cheap, but replacing the lamps with gu10 leds I would imagine, wouldnt be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The conversion might be cheap, but replacing the lamps with gu10 leds I would imagine, wouldnt be.

Im not even going to mention the name or post the pic either.;):D

Advertisement