Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent is increasing in many places in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Solair wrote: »
    I had a situation in Cork where the landlord rang looking for a 150 per month increase to cover rising mortgage costs.

Ha. The thing to do here is to turn it around. Say , "My taxes have gone up so my take home pay has decreased. So I'll have to pay you less rent, obviously. How do you feel about that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

gurramok wrote: »
    There are still many vacant's apartment blocks near me in the Docklands as well as in the likes of Sandyford which NAMA are holding back.
    Any examples? I'm not aware of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

jastin123 wrote: »
    My landlords increase the rent, because they have to pay that Household Charge or Water Charge?

He shouldn't be - contact numbers in the link. Give them a call for advice.

http://www.threshold.ie/documents/Household%20charge.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

There are still many vacant's apartment blocks near me in the Docklands as well as in the likes of Sandyford which NAMA are holding back.

The OP said 'many places', which ones?

There isnt that may completed vacant apartments in Sandyford. Most of them have been rented out and 60 of them were sold last year to a housing association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

jdivision wrote: »
    Any examples? I'm not aware of any.

North docklands - All around Castleforbes is empty. They are being auctioned via Allsop. Also vacant apts on the way up to the Green Room bar. There is also a block up behind the theatre on the southside, the name escapes me, its right beside that hidden play area.
    irishguy wrote: »
    There isnt that may completed vacant apartments in Sandyford. Most of them have been rented out and 60 of them were sold last year to a housing association.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/beacon-of-light-emerges-from-dublin-dead-zone-3024329.html

A few empty towers are now owned by NAMA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My tenants contacted me asking for a decrease because of the changes in the social welfare rent allowance. House would be in what would be considered good area. They are the perfect tennants, so while the house is costing me more with the household charge etc, in the long term it was worth it for me to keep them there. My house is already cheaper than a couple of houses on the street looking at daft, but again I'd rather it rented at a lower rate with good tenants than higher rate and nightmare tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

North docklands - All around Castleforbes is empty. They are being auctioned via Allsop. Also vacant apts on the way up to the Green Room bar. There is also a block up behind the theatre on the southside, the name escapes me, its right beside that hidden play area.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/beacon-of-light-emerges-from-dublin-dead-zone-3024329.html

A few empty towers are now owned by NAMA.

They are the empty not complete towers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

pc7 wrote: »
    ...I'd rather it rented at a lower rate with good tenants than higher rate and nightmare tenants.

+1 I'd be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭techdiver

My rent went down last month and I live in a supposed desirable part of Dublin!

Exactly the same for me. I have received my 3rd reduction in as many years.

Problem is all these rental price figures don't take into account renewal of leases. I am now paying €250 less than when I originally moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I just heard anectdotal evidence that suggests Castleforbes are being released by Dublin City Council for local authority housing next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The difference between 800 and 950 is 1,800 euros a year, or 3,600 over 2 years. That is A LOT of money to ask a LL to give up just because you don't have kids, especially as that can change in the blink of an eye, or in the blink of one burst condom.

Agreed, but it does cut both ways. I was not willing to pay more than a certain price for a 1 bed, and I also didn't want to live in the kind of hovels I dwelt in during past times, so waited and waited until I found what I wanted. The real danger is "panic" renting which is what used to happen when you queued up at 7pm with the Evening Herald and a load of cash. At the end of the day, I felt I wanted that 1,200 a year in my pocket rather than the landlords, so was prepared to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

irishguy wrote: »
    They are the empty not complete towers.
    There is hundreds of empties in sandyford & surrounding areas.

I read somewhere NAMA have up to 6000 vacant properties within the M50, not sure how accurate that is but I'd well believe it, I see a hell of alot of NAMA stuff empty in south dublin.

How many would be empty at Merrion Gates, 100's in that 1 development alone by the looks of it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

whitesands wrote: »
    There is hundreds of empties in sandyford & surrounding areas.

I read somewhere NAMA have up to 6000 vacant properties within the M50, not sure how accurate that is but I'd well believe it, I see a hell of alot of NAMA stuff empty in south dublin.

How many would be empty at Merrion Gates, 100's in that 1 development alone by the looks of it :rolleyes:

I've always thought that development there would be a perfect location for the national children’s hospital, It’s huge and I don't think it would take nearly as much cash to perform a conversion from office and apartment space to turn it into a hospital as it would to build from scratch, plus we already own it and it's a stones throw from St Vincent’s.

I do however think that there is some movement on NAMA properties, they have furnished a couple of empty NAMA controlled apartment blocks opposite me in the last dew months (all with the same furniture and fittings, even the same painting on the wall in each apartment) and they have released them onto the rental market, though not the third and fourth blocks so I suspect that they are slowly releasing property so as not to flood the market.

Advertisement