Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom lying on their site

• 12-02-2012 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

e0jw1t.jpg

All sounds good until you really dig on their site.2liy2dy.jpg

We did not let UPC away with this unlimited nonsense and their usage cap is double Eircoms unlimited usage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Now look at the lowest pack on UPC and it clearly shows you a cap.

svgt3q.jpg24br9xe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Is it possible to view your usage with UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

grizzly wrote: »
    Is it possible to view your usage with UPC?

No.

It's easier to go over UPC's limit because they're so much faster than Eircom within most price packages. Making it a more common issue with UPC.

I'm on a NGB up to 8mb package with Eircom, I get 3mb at best. I download a decent amount, but will never reach their limit. When I had UPC it was so fast it encouraged me to download more so I actually went over the limit once, Eircom is slower so I find myself less bothered about downloading things. UPC's superior speed seems to be disadvantageous to them in this regard. Eircom's lack of it allows them to almost avoid it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Its easy enough to get a download monitor. There are loads out there for free. I had to, because in the first month of UPC 100MB, I used over 1300GB and they started contacting me about my usage. I would easily use more than that, I thought I was holding back in the first month!

Put a serious restriction on my P2P sharing. On the plus side, its cut down on my electric bill as I dont leave my PC on 24/7 anymore!

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

This is the one I use, which was actually recommended to me by the AUP team at UPC as I was going off my head at them on the phone because I had been lied to about my 500GB limit. I was told repeatedly, because I asked over and over, by the sales rep that any data I uploaded wouldnt affect my 500GB data limit. I was told I just had to make sure I only downloaded 500GB. During the "investigation" I even managed to ask for the same rep on the live chat on the UPC website, I then asked her about this limit and she AGAIN lied about the 500GB limit, then when I informed her that I was now an existing customer and that I had AUP on the phone as I typed, informing me that the 500GB data limit applied to data up and down. Much squirming ensued and extreme backtracking. It was embarassing for them to have been caught out so blatantly. Apparently UPC would be taking further action. Yeah yeah, whatever.

I stuck with UPC despite that disgrace, because the reality is, despite my principles, I want fast ADSL and the pathetic limit on Eircom isnt enough. Eircom are a complete joke actually, they are way way way way more expensive than UPC and are slow as hell in comparison.

I just wish that unlimited usage was actually that. Id pay extra just to be able to use my connection as I like without any restrictions, like I had in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi djrichard! Did they put you on the Fiber Extreme package at UPC? I got caught for 780Gb one month and 650Gb another and am now on that package which is €79 with a 1Gb cap. I'm wondering now if that's €79 all in for my telly & phone as well. I'll be a bit miffed if not. I salute you on your 1300Gb sir! Most impressive :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

1.3TB? WTF did you download?!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tommie Kelly

Haven't Eircom said on this forum that they don't enforce the fair usage policy on the unlimited accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

djrichard wrote: »
    I had to, because in the first month of UPC 100MB, I used over 1300GB and they started contacting me about my usage.
    :eek:

and here am I paying €15 for 1GB data allowance over 30 days, though considering I can nearly boil a full kettle of water by the time http://www.centralbank.ie loads up.....to download 1.3 Tb would take.......... :rolleyes:

squonk wrote: »
    Hi djrichard! Did they put you on the Fiber Extreme package at UPC? I got caught for 780Gb one month and 650Gb another and am now on that package which is €79 with a 1Gb cap. I'm wondering now if that's €79 all in for my telly & phone as well. I'll be a bit miffed if not. I salute you on your 1300Gb sir! Most impressive :)

Yeah thats what they put me onto. Im pretty sure it doesnt have a 1GB cap though! The speed was reduced to a miserly 30MB, but I was told that despite officially having a 500GB limit, they didnt ever take action on anyone who exceeded that. I got the feeling she was telling me if I stayed on that package, I could download whatever I wanted. I did consider it, but not if my speed was being limited to 30MB. If it was 100MB with no limits, Id have happily paid the extra.

It quite easy to use 1300GB data at that speed. I only ever download blurays and Ive got a lot of HD TV boxsets and a few pc games. Some of them are 15GB each. I was also uploading at max speed whenever I wasnt using the internet myself, like when I was sleeping or out at work.

I have quite easily managed to keep my data under 500GB because Ive just learned to manage it all better. It does compromise me watching Sky TV on my computer though, because it does use a lot of data when streaming HD.

I just make sure I have enough allowance left to ensure trouble free Battlefield 3 gaming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

djrichard wrote: »
    1300GB

luthor.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

squonk wrote: »

Isn't the broadband extreme package totally unlimited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I tip my hat to you 1.3TB sir.

Hm. From previous threads regarding stuff like this a lot of people say to contact Comreg on these matters

Willbbz wrote: »
    I tip my hat to you 1.3TB sir.

Hm. From previous threads regarding stuff like this a lot of people say to contact Comreg on these matters

UPC were quite willing to let me cancel my 12 month contract without penalty due to me being given the wrong information. Another way of saying that is the sales rep lied through her teeth because she simply wanted to get the sale, but Ive come to expect that these days.

It was my decision to remain with them, basically because they are still the best in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Haven't Eircom said on this forum that they don't enforce the fair usage policy on the unlimited accounts?

Thats true they no longer charge if you go over the 250GB limit which is good not that would even use 250GB

Advertisement