Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NYC VS London. Which is the best place to live ?

• 12-02-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So which would you prefer to live in and or visit and why? Which would you consider to be the capital of the world? I'd probably say NYC is capital of the world, but I'd personally prefer to live in London.So taking in all aspects of the city, cost of living , culture,history,crime rates/safety, facilities / amenities/ recreation ,cleanliness, transport, people, food , tourism, beauty and charm,weather, nightlife and pubs/bars, healthcare ,jobs , entertainment, shopping/services, economy ,green space /environment, city layout, history,music / theatre / arts, education ,amount of holidays you get,wages and salaries, law enforcement ,art galleries and museums ,infrastructure ,traffic,property prices,architecture,cafes and restaurants, scenery, flora and wildlife, dealing with severe weather(snow and ice, storms , hurricanes flooding, heatwaves etc),pollution,waist disposal, government,job opportunities,universities and schools etc?

Which is the best place to live ,NYC or London? 152 votes

London
    0% 0 votes
    New York City
    35% 54 votes
    Atari Jaguar.
    64% 98 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Tehran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd sooner have my eyes scooped out with a melon baller than live in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I like London. Lots of things to do there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

innit Bruv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id rather shoot myself in the balls than live in new york , hipsters, hassidic jews, brooklyn and all the other dodgy areas, huge traffic problems, its still the US, hugely expensive rent. theres no real advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I've spent a good bit of time in both and I like aspects of both, that said i'd probably go with New York as i just seemed to have more fun there and it felt a bit more "right" than London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I like them both, N-York has an edge in excitement BUT and its a huge but, it has a terrible climate, it goes from to warm, too, to cold and poxy humid, it is nicest in spring.

London really has everything and the tube connects it all and the people are great, I could easilly live there again,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

New York for me....I think you could spend a lifetime there and never run out of things to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

id rather shoot myself in the balls than live in new york , hipsters, hassidic jews, brooklyn and all the other dodgy areas, huge traffic problems, its still the US, hugely expensive rent. theres no real advantage

The Dodge Ram Hemi you would tool around in would more than make up for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

44leto wrote: »
    I like them both, N-York has an edge in excitement BUT and its a huge but, it has a terrible climate, it goes from to warm, too, to cold and poxy humid, it is nicest in spring.

London really has everything and the tube connects it all and the people are great, I could easilly live there again,

hmm I'd prefer new yotk climate to irish/british climate. Atleast in NY they have distinguished seasons heat in summer,cold and snow in winter rather than our constatn mild/wet and grey:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

Pyongyang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MCMLXXV wrote: »

damn , you are right,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I lived in London for eight years, and it was grand. You do need to have money to enjoy it, though: it's no place to be poor. I've been to New York, and could happily live there too - but it would also depend on the money situation.

Both are big cities, and you probably wouldn't live in the city. More likely, you'd live in a suburb, and there's a lot of variation in lifestyle between them. I lived in both West London (Earl's Court) and North London (Muswell Hill), and they could have been different cities entirely. In New York you have the Five Boroughs, each with their own multiple personalities. I think I like the idea of living on Staten Island and taking the ferry in to Manhattan regularly.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

New York is the cooler city, but London is the better place to live.

A short flight away from anywhere in Europe, a train ride away from its polar opposite in the remote Scottish Highlands, and full of the same diversity that characterises New York, but with a more interesting cultural scene, and arguably a better nightlife too.

I like New York for short periods, but some aspects of the American way of life just jar with me. And even though New York is like its own mini Republic , it is only a small cultural island, rather cut off from the world with only the US and Canada nearby,and I think it is the worse for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

HISTORY

London: 1,968 years of it, stretching back to when it was founded by the Romans in 43AD.
    NY: 387 years of it, stretching back to when it was founded by the Dutch in 1624.

London 1-0 NY

FOOD

London has more Michelin star restaurants than any other city in the world, more than New York and more even than Paris.

London 1-0 NY

TOURISM

London is second only to Paris in terms of the annual number of tourists visiting the city, with 14.8 million tourists each year. New York has just 9.5 million tourists each year.

London 1-0 NYC

EDUCATION

University of College London UCL and Imperial College London are ranked at 4th and 5th in the world whereas Columbia University (the best one in NY) is ranked at 11th.

London 1-0 NY

FINANCE

London is the world's financial capital, overtaking NY. According to the WEF (World Economic Forum) London in the United Kingdom has now replaced Wall Street as the centre of the financial world, despite concerns over confidence in both American and European markets due to the recession.

London 1-0 NY

LIFE EXPECTANCY

The life expectancy in London is 84.4 years for men and 89 years for women. In NY, it is 79.5 years for men and 82 years for women.

London 1-0 NY

FINAL SCORE: London 6-0 NY

WINNER: LONDON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Neither

Claustrophobic urban rat race with too many people in the one place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

If your circumstances were the same in both, I can't see a lot to choose between them. I'd live in London again in a heartbeat, but that's a personal connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Choose the most mediocre aspects of both and live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

NYC.
    Walking around the city is like nothing else, the taxis, the buildings, the people - all weirdly familar(from countless movies and tv shows) but always new and exciting at the same time.
    The Manhattan skyline NEVER gets old.
    Every single time you see that iconic sea of skyscrapers your heart will skip a beat.

Plus the boozers have 4am closing times every night of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

London and New York are fine cities but I'd say living in them is a nightmare for any number of reasons.

Having friends or acquaintances there would be a significant factor and would help in a big way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I lived and worked in NY for several years and tbh never got what all the fuss was about. Can't speak for london as i've never been.

Batsy wrote: »
    HISTORY

London: 1,968 years of it, stretching back to when it was founded by the Romans in 43AD.
    NY: 387 years of it, stretching back to when it was founded by the Dutch in 1624.

London 1-0 NY

FOOD

London has more Michelin star restaurants than any other city in the world, more than New York and more even than Paris.

London 1-0 NY

TOURISM

London is second only to Paris in terms of the annual number of tourists visiting the city, with 14.8 million tourists each year. New York has just 9.5 million tourists each year.

London 1-0 NYC

EDUCATION

University of College London UCL and Imperial College London are ranked at 4th and 5th in the world whereas Columbia University (the best one in NY) is ranked at 11th.

London 1-0 NY

FINANCE

London is the world's financial capital, overtaking NY. According to the WEF (World Economic Forum) London in the United Kingdom has now replaced Wall Street as the centre of the financial world, despite concerns over confidence in both American and European markets due to the recession.

London 1-0 NY

LIFE EXPECTANCY

The life expectancy in London is 84.4 years for men and 89 years for women. In NY, it is 79.5 years for men and 82 years for women.

London 1-0 NY

I doubt michelin star restaurants are a determining factor for most people when deciding a likely destination for emigration and neither are any of the others unless you are a female culinary connoiseur and finance student on tour who expects to live past 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

HISTORY

London 1-0 NY

FOOD

London 1-0 NY

TOURISM

London 1-0 NYC

EDUCATION

London 1-0 NY

FINANCE

London 1-0 NY

LIFE EXPECTANCY

London 1-0 NY

Yeah but Bolton's ****e.

May not have actually been to Bolton.

Absolutely neither. I'll never leave my backward country or small quaint country side with fresh air and the craic. I'm always depressed in foreign countries.

Sindri wrote: »
    Yeah but Bolton's ****e.

May not have actually been to Bolton.

Absolutely neither. I'll never leave my backward country or small quaint country side with fresh air and the craic. I'm always depressed in foreign countries.

Bolton is actually shyte

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Homs in Syria, that place is literally a blast to live in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Bolton is actually shyte

Vernon Kay's from Bolton...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Neither I like living in an area with a sense of community and being friends with my neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Actually both cities suck if you are poor or median income. To visit, for me, NYC is beautiful. London is not.

I work in London occasionally, it does very little for me. I hear about it's mystical nightlife but there are few actual examples given, and I am more a stay in the pub guy myself. Pubs are sh*ite in the centre, over crowded and over-noisy. I have found a few nice ones around Fulham.

The fact that 14 M tourists visit is hardly a boon to people who want to get to work and have to barge past people staring about themselves - there are two classes of walkers in London, fast residents, and sloooow tourists.

And working in London means for most a 10-11 hour day, with a lot of commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

MCMLXXV wrote: »

I think theres 1 in Ireland, theres a UK company that imports larger engine american cars/trucks then are normally available

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Neither I like living in an area with a sense of community and being friends with my neighbours.

TBH I think true New Yorkers have a great sense of community.

I think theres 1 in Ireland, theres a UK company that imports larger engine american cars/trucks then are normally available

Yeah, there's a few American cars here in ireland - I've even seen one or two of them myself. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I've lived in both and currently in London. Both are great if you are earning enough to live in them on your own terms - ie. choose where you want to live (eg. by the parks), and don't have to watch what you spend (if you are not in that position, i can understand why people dont enjoy those cities).

New York is the best for the 24 hour life and general craziness. London best for the range of things to do and the international connections for weekends away.

So in a nutshell I guess that means (IMO) New York is the best for those in their 20's, London for 30's.

(and maybe back to dublin when I'm a good bit older as compared the the other two, I just dont find that there is as much going on!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Lived in London for 2 years and I'd say New York although I've only visited for a couple of days. I found the place ridiculously exciting and new and I didn't feel the same way in London although I'd a deadly time living there too. I'd recommend South London if you're moving there. Lived in East London and the hipsters seriously got on my tits after 2 years of living there. Would love to live in New York but there's no chance without a visa, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Neither? The Irish obsession with New Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark is tilting.
    London is gash.

steve9859 wrote: »
    I've lived in both and currently in London. Both are great if you are earning enough to live in them on your own terms - ie. choose where you want to live (eg. by the parks), and don't have to watch what you spend (if you are not in that position, i can understand why people dont enjoy those cities).

Thats gotta be a salary over £100K, then. ( My guess is - given you lived in both - you are a banker).
    New York is the best for the 24 hour life and general craziness. London best for the range of things to do and the international connections for weekends away.

So in a nutshell I guess that means (IMO) New York is the best for those in their 20's, London for 30's.

(and maybe back to dublin when I'm a good bit older as compared the the other two, I just dont find that there is as much going on!)

Not convinced by the international connections bit. Whats amazing about London is how little influenced it is by France, a country just a few miles away, and how few people take the train. Most people fly anywhere, anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Neither? The Irish obsession with New Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark is tilting.
    London is gash.

Irish obsession??
    You mean world obsession.;)

The-Rigger wrote: »
    London is gash.

Small-minded much??

Thats the other thing about both cities - unless you are a CEO or a banker the bankers will be earning more than you. And unlike CEOs there are tens of thousands of bankers,and they are going to get the nice places to live.

Definitely New York. I've lived in both cities and just felt so much more at home in NYC. There's a real exciting feel to it, all the time and I love that it's an island with water all around (something I really miss in London - it often feels like a prison to me). If I could get a visa, I'd be over to NYC in a heartbeat.

Yahew wrote: »

Thats gotta be a salary over £100K, then. ( My guess is - given you lived in both - you are a banker).

[

And what of it if I was?

Your comment re. 100k: tbh, to get the most out of both cities, and actually live in the city instead of having a big commute from the 'burbs (esp if you have little ones) that is about right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Have never lived in either city, have visited London a few times.

I picked NYC as I think I would prefer that it is much more compact than London, and nearer the sea.

And what of it if I was?

Your comment re. 100k: tbh, to get the most out of both cities, and actually live in the city instead of having a big commute from the 'burbs (esp if you have little ones) that is about right

Nothing, I was just saying.

You made the point yourself that you needed to live beside the parks. I know the cost of housing, or rent, in Hyde Park and Central Park.

Yahew wrote: »
    And what of it if I was?

Nothing, I was just saying.

You made the point yourself that you needed to live beside the parks. I know the cost of housing, or rent, in Hyde Park and Central Park.

I actually live near the river - was just an example. What I should have said was "to live in the community / borough of your choice". Many people moving to either arent able to do that and the point I was making is both London and NYC can suck if you don't live there on your own terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I was born in London and lived there for 28 years. I have also lived with my cousin in New York for 3 months.
    To be honest with you I would not choose to live in either city.
    I moved to Ireland from London 3 years ago, and my quality of life is better here.
    There is nothing between New York and London, with globalisation and capitalism they are very similar in many ways. Culturally they are totally different.
    Both are cosmopolitan cities made up of millions of immigrants.
    I find that the culture and lifestyle in Ireland is better than in either New York or London.
    They are great cities to visit, for a holiday etc. But living there is something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

NYC for sure. Love going to London for a weekend but wouldnt live there.

There is an energy in NYC that I havent experienced in any other city.

Plus you can drink until 4am legally there. London's opening hours are appalling for a world tourism city.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

London. Greener, better variety of architecture, better transport, nearer other great countries/cities of Europe. As much to see and do as NYC. Outside of Manhattan there isn't much to New York, but outside of Central London there are some amazing gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Would chop my nuts off before I'd live in either city. Two of the most unfriendliest, impersonal and emotionally detached cities in the world today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

grenache wrote: »
    Would chop my nuts off before I'd live in either city. Two of the most unfriendliest, impersonal and emotionally detached cities in the world today.

You're from Limerick and live in Cork, somehow I think your statement is untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Been to New york twice and and London 3 times out of the 2 i would pick London .Rome is the real capital of the world tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

FOOD

London 1-0 NY

From 2010 - Tokyo has 197 star resturants compared to Londons 48. Paris has 65, New York 56.

• Advertisement
Advertisement