Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NYC VS London. Which is the best place to live ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Nodin wrote: »
    From 2010 - Tokyo has 197 star resturants compared to Londons 48. Paris has 65, New York 56.

How many does dublin have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I wouldn't want to have to work in either tbh. That said if I could spend my time swanning around like a gadfly without let nor hindrance, I'd probably choose london.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

amacachi wrote: »
    grenache wrote: »
    Would chop my nuts off before I'd live in either city. Two of the most unfriendliest, impersonal and emotionally detached cities in the world today.

You're from Limerick and live in Cork, somehow I think your statement is untrue.

I'm from Limerick and live in Limerick, and I agree with grenache, so I think YOUR statement is untrue

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm from Limerick and live in Limerick, and I agree with grenache, so I think YOUR statement is untrue

Sure NYC and London havent a patch on limerick or cork boy, we're pure friendly down in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Would chop my nuts off before I'd live in either city. Two of the most unfriendliest, impersonal and emotionally detached cities in the world today.

I would say that Dublin is the most unfriendly and cliquey (sp?) city of the 3 (and I lived in Dublin for far longer than I lived in NYC and London). I have more good and lasting NYC friends after 2 years there than I do irish friends after 8 in Dublin. I really think it is an urban myth that London and NYC are unfriendly, and one that people who have never lived in either city for a lengthy period of time are quick repeat - I find them far friendlier than Ireland (once you get past the faux friendliness that is put on for tourists)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I live in London and I see it very differently now to when I used to come here for a weekend away. It is a great city with loads to do but it's also tough and I'd never raise a family here (speaking as a teacher).

I went to New York a few months ago and I really liked it, it seemed like a really down to earthplace but then again I haven't a clue what it's like to actually live here. One thing that struck me about NYC was the amount of old people (as in late 60s and 70s) working in restaurants and supermarkets etc. Putting in long hours in menial jobs to survive and I also wondered how the men in the hot dog stands make a reasonable living.

ICANN wrote: »
    . One thing that struck me about NYC was the amount of old people (as in late 60s and 70s) working in restaurants and supermarkets etc. Putting in long hours in menial jobs to survive.

Yep that struck me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

steve9859 wrote: »
    I would say that Dublin is the most unfriendly and cliquey (sp?) city of the 3 (and I lived in Dublin for far longer than I lived in NYC and London). I have more good and lasting NYC friends after 2 years there than I do irish friends after 8 in Dublin. I really think it is an urban myth that London and NYC are unfriendly, and one that people who have never lived in either city for a lengthy period of time are quick repeat - I find them far friendlier than Ireland (once you get past the faux friendliness that is put on for tourists)

Yet you stayed 8 in Dublin? Londoners are fine within their Office walls, or inside in general. but the general atmosphere in the city is unfriendly.

One of the interesting things I find about this debate is the way everybody treats both cities as if yez were rich, which Steve apart, yes probably aren't.

The number of Michelin starred restaurants in London, and the fact that it is on Europe's doorway ( no more than Dublin really), is irrelevant if after rent and the commute to the suburbs you are too poor, and too exhausted, too far from town, to go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I quite liked both cities, bloody expensive to survive in, though. NY is full of lunatic people on public transport, moreso than London.

At least with London if I want a pack of Walkers crisps I'm sorted, innit bruv'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yahew wrote: »
    One of the interesting things I find about this debate is the way everybody treats both cities as if yez were rich, which Steve apart, yes probably aren't.

The number of Michelin starred restaurants in London, and the fact that it is on Europe's doorway ( no more than Dublin really), is irrelevant if after rent and the commute to the suburbs you are too poor, and too exhausted, too far from town, to go anywhere.

An average wage won't go far in either place, and living there on an average wage will likely involve an inversely proportional relationship between the size of your living space and the length of your commute.

You maybe trade that off with the professional opportunities available in large markets like New York or London and the idea that if you worked hard you could get out of the average wage bracket, and eventually get to a point where you can experience the delights either place has to offer people with large disposable income levels.

But that's fierce aspirational stuff. London or New York for most people would be a survival challenge, forcing you to constantly look for ways to function and have fun in the cheapest way possible. Maybe 'being there' is the be all and end all for some people poor or no.

For me, New York is an awesome place to visit, but I like returning to my affordable life where I get to live in a nice part of Dublin and live decently from an average wage - and where I can see myself maybe raising kids some day. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I like London. Lots of things to do there...

Yeah there's fcuk all to do in New York! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ah the old Sex and The City vs. Eastenders debate arises again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

c_man wrote: »
    Ah the old Sex and The City vs. Eastenders debate arises again.

Well, Pat Butcher's dead so it's not a level playing field any more.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I found New York to be a frenetic human zoo of a place. It wrecked my head. London is nicer but suffers from the same thing.

I'd rather live in San Francisco. Beats the other two by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't earn a huge wage and live in London. I can get out of bed at 0745 walk 15 mins to tube and still be at work by 0830. I live in South London and work in the West End, so not everyone's commute is a nightmare.
    I have more interactions with my neighbours here than I ever did in Dublin, and I know all of the regulars by name in my local pub, so it's not as unfriendly as people may think.
    I've been to NY and from what I can gather rent is more expensive and the quality of life not as good. It seems more expensive too. So London for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I lived in London 2.5 years and like all places it has its good and bad points. Wouldn't want to live there again though, so maybe that says it all.

Was only in New York once in 2008 and still think about it. I absolutely loved it. It has such an amazing vibe and I can't wait to go back :D

Wouldn't want to live there for too long though, but yeah, I'd give it a go :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yahew wrote: »

That could be said of Dublin though. Someone living in Ballsbridge would have a very different view of the city than someone living in Clondalkin.

The connectivity in London is a league above Dublin. You can drive to Paris in a few hours, or catch the train with ease.

With five airports you can fly to most of the world directly, rather than where ever Ryanair have managed to find a remote cheap airfield.

When you are used to Heathrow and Gatwick on your doorstep, Dublin does feel very restricted.

Personally I love working in London and have worked in both the City and Canary wharf. Being able to finish work and shoot across town to meet friends in a West End pub, or pop to a football match is brilliant and I envy my brother's lifestyle there.

That said, he pays £20k a year in school fees for his two kids and no way will he let them play outside. When they visit us, he is jealous of our lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

44leto wrote: »
    I like them both, N-York has an edge in excitement BUT and its a huge but, it has a terrible climate, it goes from to warm, too, to cold and poxy humid, it is nicest in spring.

London really has everything and the tube connects it all and the people are great, I could easilly live there again,

Hang on. You are saying the climate and transport are better in London :confused: simply nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I would pick NYC just so I could nearer to the family over there. Most of my family don't speak to ous

• Advertisement

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Hang on. You are saying the climate and transport are better in London :confused: simply nonsense

Compared to New York - which is the thread title - it probably is. London has an almost continental climate, cold in winter, hot enough in Summer. Though I find it too hot in the Summer.

I've only ever been to New York in September, when it is lovely, but it seems to be over hot, or over cold, and over humid most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    How is it nonsense? :confused: The climate of London is miles better then New York. Warmer in winter, cooler in summer and it rains a lot less. As for transport the Tube is the longest subway in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I was in New York a few weeks ago and it was cold. The sort of cold that we don't get here or in London. I've been lucky enough to visit New York a lot (not because I'm a high-flyer but purely because I fell in love with the place and therefore have taken any and every opportunity to go) and the climate is insane. The first time I went people were literally dropping dead in the streets with the temperatures hitting 45 degrees and that's before the humidity. But the winter is crazy cold. I can certainly see why some people might prefer London's 10 months of grey over New York's extreme climates

I'd move to New York tomorrow. Unfortunately that's not possible and unless I find a young American lady to marry I doubt I'll ever be able to live there. I do plan on moving to London before too long though. I grew up 35 miles from there in Essex, a lot of my friends are there and it's a town which has grown on me over time. I used to hate the crowds and the different areas of the City yet as I've got older its those things that now draws me back. I was in London this weekend and had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    As for transport the Tube is the longest subway in the world.
    The biggest metro system in the world by length of routes and by number of stations is the New York City subway
    source wikipedia

Plus - it runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week, does London?:D

If anyone is in any doubt check out this http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Click on the sticky's - "ny panoramo pix" or "old pics nyc"

What they were building a hundred years ago was simply astonishing
    Give yourself an hour and enjoy

NY Subway is so much better than the London Underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Lived in both for a few years. I love New York, and it's by far the better place to visit, but for me London was the better place to live. Just personal preference.

summerskin wrote: »
    Lived in both for a few years. I love New York, and it's by far the better place to visit, but for me London was the better place to live. Just personal preference.

What is it about London that makes it a better place to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Neither of them got **** on Cavan tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pabloh999 wrote: »
    NYC.
    Walking around the city is like nothing else, the taxis, the buildings, the people - all weirdly familar(from countless movies and tv shows) but always new and exciting at the same time.
    The Manhattan skyline NEVER gets old.
    Every single time you see that iconic sea of skyscrapers your heart will skip a beat.

Plus the boozers have 4am closing times every night of the week
    i like the way you've ignored the vast majority of NYC which has none of that going for it.

Beefy78 wrote: »

For me I just found it to have more of a buzz and more variety. I was lucky in that I lived right in the centre, about 10 minutes walk from the west end, though I did live in the Greenwich village area in NYC which is quite central. The variety of restaurants is amazing(i know it is in NYC too, but with London there are more areas to visit, you get different restuarants on Upper St in Islington than you do in Clapham for example), and the amount of sports that are on every weekend can't be beaten. The parks are great places to spend a sunny day, and as much as I like Central Park it just can't compete with Regent's Park on a sunny day.

I think the boroughs of London have more personalty than those in NYC and there is a bigger number of them, more like a hundred small towns surrounding a city, Camden is very different to Richmond, Whitechapel is nothing like Shepherd's Bush.

The tube, though much-maligned, for me is a better and much more comprehensive service than the subway, too.

I'd still always choose NYC as a weekend destination, especially in baseball season, but if I was pressed I'd say the quality of life is better in London and would choose to live there over NYC.

Just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I dont about him, But for me personally I think NY seems like more of a great tourist place to go just for a visit rather than a place to live. I know london too is a very popular tourist destination but it just seems more like a place youd actually live in rather than just visit. Well thats just me, I dont know why I think this I just do, maybe its just because NY seems much further away and more exotic and less well known by me than london.

I don't disagree with either of you, by the way. I was just curious to see your reasonings. I've always wanted to live in New York, as I said above, but I suspect that the realities would be slightly different to the usual tourist experience.

That said, I do know people who live in New York and the experience obviously does vary dependent on where. One couple I know live in a very old building but just half a dozen blocks from Times Square so an amazing location but their place was tiny when I visited and there was a massive stain on the carpet which the guy who lived there explained was from where he'd had to use a broomstick to twat a rat the size of a cat (sounds like a poem..) over the head a few days earlier.

One girl I know works in Downtown Manhattan in a well paid job but lives in South-West Brooklyn in a flat that's nowhere near as nice as mine in Dublin. She's got an hour commute twice a day just like many people who work in London do. I did the commute from hers one morning and it wasn't much fun.

But then I also know one guy shares with three other lads in a flat 40 floors up on 8th Ave Manhattan. His flat is nothing special but it's pretty ncie and pretty modern. I went to his kitchen to pour myself a glass of water and his window has an amazing view of the Empire State Building. I often think that people in that position must not realise how lucky they are.

I don't disagree with either of you, by the way. I was just curious to see your reasonings. I've always wanted to live in New York, as I said above, but I suspect that the realities would be slightly different to the usual tourist experience.

That said, I do know people who live in New York and the experience obviously does vary dependent on where. One couple I know live in a very old building but just half a dozen blocks from Times Square so an amazing location but their place was tiny when I visited and there was a massive stain on the carpet which the guy who lived there explained was from where he'd had to use a broomstick to twat a rat the size of a cat (sounds like a poem..) over the head a few days earlier.

One girl I know works in Downtown Manhattan in a well paid job but lives on the South Coast of Brooklyn in a flat that's nowhere near as nice as mine in Dublin. She's got an hour commute twice a day just like many people who work in London do. I did the commute from hers one morning and it wasn't much fun.

But then I also know one guy shares with three other lads in a flat 40 floors up on 8th Ave Manhattan. His flat is nothing special but it's pretty ncie and pretty modern. I went to his kitchen to pour myself a glass of water and his window has an amazing view of the Empire State Building. I often think that people in that position must not realise how lucky they are.

I have an hour commute each way from clare to galway everyday, and i can tell you one thing, it's a lot more pleasant than the 45 minute commute i had every day from warren st. to parsons green in london! In NYC i had a 5 minute walk to work, and the village is a great spot for stopping off for some breakfast on the way, some fantastic delis and cafes.

On the subject of accomodation, with both cities it depends on the area you live in. I had friends in London who lived in places like turnpike lane and seven sisters road who had to battle with rats occasionally, as where we never had a problem in regent's park area. Equally my friends in Crown Heights, Brooklyn had a similar problem but we never did in greenwich. The closer you live to the CBD you pay more, and usually for smaller accomodation, but it's more often than not much better looked after.

I'd visited NYC about 10 times before i lived there, and the reality of living there is very very different. It's a great place though, and i loved my time there.

If i was to move back now, which is not beyond the realm of possibilities, I'd probably look to live on Staten Island or maybe over the state line in Hoboken.

I'd recommend it to anyone, it's just that I preferred London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've lived in both places, and again I'l have to say London, if just for the fact having friends and family in Liverpool only a train ride away was a massive advantage. Its quite expensive, but you get used to it. New York is an awesome, awesome place, I love it. In fact I'd say its only the family situation that stops me preferring it over London.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

NY Subway is so much better than the London Underground.

Nah. The London Underground is better.

Here are some facts:

1) The London Underground is the oldest underground railway system in the world, opened in 1863.

2) The first section to be opened was what are now now the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines and part of the Metropolitan line.

3) In 1890 it became the first underground system in the world to operate electric trains.

4) It is the second-biggest underground railway in the world, after the Shanghai Metro, with 250 miles of track. The Shanghai Metro has 270 miles of track and 274 stations. The NYC Subway has 468 stations but is just 209 miles long.

5) London Underground has 270 stations.

6) The colourful London Underground map has been voted by the great British public as one of the great icons of Britain. The map was created in 1933 by Harry Beck, who originally sketched it out in a school exercise book before being converted into final artwork. Instead of a geographically accurate map, he produced a purely representational diagram with no surface detail except the stations and a stylised River Thames. He thought - rightly - that this would make it easier for the public to understand it. With its out-of-scale distances it was initially rejected by the Underground's publicity department as "too revolutionary", but a year later they changed their minds and a free pocket edition was published in 1933. As the London Underground developed, so Harry Beck continued to develop the map, but his graphic concept remains essentially unchanged 80 years on. Each Underground line is represented by a certain colour on the map. For example, Bakerloo is Corporate Brown, Central is red, Hammersmith & City is Underground Pink, District is Corporate Green, Circle is Corporate Yellow, East London is Underground Orange, Jubilee is Corporate Grey and Northern is Corporate Black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

amacachi wrote: »
    You're from Limerick and live in Cork, somehow I think your statement is untrue.
    Care to elaborate on that rather useless statement? How is where I am from/living relevant to the point I'm making?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Amazing how some who have never lived in these cities, can actually put forward an opinion.

So that aside and having lived in both cities for a combined total of 15 years. The winner without question has to be London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

For the people who got to live in New York- how did ye manage to get visas? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Live in London and its great, can't comment on NY but am dying to visit the place.

One thing that would edge it for me is the sport. London is the best city in the world for sport, no question. Give me Arsenal vs Spurs over Nicks vs Celtics anyday.

It's proximity to ireland too is a big plus.

• Advertisement

Work sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Live in London and its great, can't comment on NY but am dying to visit the place.

One thing that would edge it for me is the sport. London is the best city in the world for sport, no question. Give me Arsenal vs Spurs over Nicks vs Celtics anyday.

It's proximity to ireland too is a big plus.
    how dare you say that,manchester is far superior for sport ect, on the serious side ,i find london and new york my least favourites in both countries,i would bump for seattle or baltimore in the states,and york and manchester in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Corkboi

Cork......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Would be happy to live in either tbh. Been to New York a few times and London plenty of times, always loads to do in both, you would never get bored. When you come back to Dublin after being in a city like that you realise how small, boring and dull Dublin really is.

I like the thought of knowing that I'll probably live in London at some point when I'm done in college. Would jump at the chance to move New York but due to the visa thing I never picture myself really living there, thinking about doing the New York Bar Exam in a couple of years though so living there could be a possibility at some point.

Of the two, I think New York would be my choice but London would still be in my top 5 places I'd like to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

London. Greener, better variety of architecture, better transport, nearer other great countries/cities of Europe. As much to see and do as NYC. Outside of Manhattan there isn't much to New York, but outside of Central London there are some amazing gems.

Actually you'll find NYC is the winner on all counts there.

Didnt:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

New York is a better city. Though London is probably better to live in. Both quiet expensive to live in though. Good buzz in both places but if I have to choose it be New York!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Actually you'll find NYC is the winner on all counts there.

I haven't found that, hence typing otherwise.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

I haven't found that, hence typing otherwise.

:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you're wrong:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I'd move to New York tomorrow. Unfortunately that's not possible and unless I find a young American lady to marry I doubt I'll ever be able to live there.

How old are you? Do you have a head full of hair? Looking down your body, can you see your toes past your gut? These are vital questions.

Seriously. I reject both cities and instead raise Chicago, Seattle, Austin, or San Francisco as options. I'm American and I never understood the draw of New York and LA and that's said by someone born not far from LA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Care to elaborate on that rather useless statement? How is where I am from/living relevant to the point I'm making?

You're from and live in a coupla ****holes, I doubt you would actually cut your nuts off before having to live in either NY or London.

Advertisement