Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squirrels

• 12-02-2012 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey all, My dog (lab/red setter cross) has become quite skilled at catching and killing squirrels (grey only). Now I have researched info about any risks to my dog and spoke to my vet too about it. I am wondering now though are there any laws he and obviously me are breaking. I only let him off the lead at approved times in the park so I know I am not breaking park rules. Any info about this would be welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

To the best of my knowledge the Grey Squirrel is classed as vermin so just as your dog wouldn't be breaking any laws killing a rat, same goes for the grey squirrel.
    The hunting forum would know 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

He's doing his part to keep the red squirrels alive so good job! :)

As time lord said I'm pretty sure they're classed as vermin as for risks I'm pretty sure squirrels pack a nasty bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quarter pounder

I was thinking they might be classified as vermin. My vet warned me about their bite, telling the biggest risk to the dog is infection if the squirrel does bite him. My vet also told me about a man who had tried to rescue a squirrel from his dog, resulting in the squirrel savaging his hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cute as they are as said grey squirrels are a menace, but as long as you are sure there is no risk of the dog getting anywhere near red squirrels because there could be the occasional red in the area. Teach the dog recall and how to release just in case, don't risk the dog going for a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Mine is very quick too ; I think the reds are an endangered species now so your dog will probably chase anything that is furry & running & not worry about their colour!! What I do I try & keep out from under the trees where there's less of them hopping about & I keep an eye out for he little furries: when I see one I call the dog ; it scares the squirrels & gives them a head start so fido is less likely to catch up so quickly. I also try to insist that the dog comes back to me ... Good for her training & the squirrels!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

100% legal and fair Play!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

give that dog a bun,plus if you get the squirells back in 1 piece you could consider cooking it and eating them,very tasty,lol.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, glad to hear its 100% legal. I have walked the same routes through our park for years and I have never seen a red. My Mother has told there were reds a long time ago, but my Mam hasn't seen any in years. He does recall most of the time, but if he resists i usually have a tennis ball as a fail safe:)

transit260 wrote: »
    give that dog a bun,plus if you get the squirells back in 1 piece you could consider cooking it and eating them,very tasty,lol.

not sure I'd be up to carrying one home:), are always in one piece though.

transit260 wrote: »

not sure I'd be up to carrying one home:), are always in one piece though.
    i get funny looks walking home with rabbits the odd time but have also given some away to passers by and neighbous that have asked for one! Usually older people.

If you did fancy bringing them home a bag will come in handy and if you really did want to try one a thread in The hunting section would surley find you someone near you to show you what to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

100% legal and fair Play!

No. It's not that straightforward; and you could find yourself in a lot of trouble if your dog gets to one at the wring place or off lead at the wrong time & someone complains. For example: St Annes is riddled with them; but it is a prosecutable offense there ; it is a protected nature reserve & they have dog wardens enforcing it. A guy I know was prosecuted & fined e800. A woman he was with, with her dog, was fined e3,000 because she argued the case instead of taking the hit & accepting she was wrong.
    Dunno what part of the country you are in thou . I
    Must Check re the endangered animals list for the reds; . The idiot who shot the last chamoix in France is still in jail ; but that's the French for you; they good at that.

Im not talkin about the likes of st annes or the pheonix park, of course you need to obide by rules for your dog if your in public parks and a nature reserve would be a no no. Thread also going in hinting some of you may find interesting

Advertisement